SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone knowledgeable about old woodworking tools?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone knowledgeable about old woodworking tools? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Cruising the Craigslist "Free" section again and spotted this 16" bandsaw about 6 miles from here. Couldn't pass it up even if only for scrap.

Looks like it got dropped on it's head at some point, the cast aluminum upper blade guard is all stove to hell and patched back together with fiberglass band aids. Upper wheel was broken and brazed back together. Got a little wobble in it, but not horrible. Will need new tires on the wheels. Everything else looks good, just needs a good cleaning.

The Walker-Turner label on the motor makes me wonder if perhaps W-T built some of the Craftsman stuff or if it's not the original motor. Original paint appears to be blue. Can't find any data plates on it, but if I was to guess I'd say late 40's to early 50's

Waiting on my registration at Vintage Machinery to be okayed, hope to find out more there. Plan "A" is to see if I can gear it down enough to make a metal cutting saw out of it. I already have a wood bandsaw.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I smile at the marketing label: "Equipped with ball bearings"

That must have been what was high tech back then.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally am NOT knowledgeable. But, I do have a good friend who owns his own woodworking company and he’s usually a wiz with old and new machines/hand tools.

I can reach out to him if you’d like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: davidjinks,

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My dad had a number of Walker-Turner tools in his shop, and still has a WT Bandsaw.

I think his is a 12 or 14 inch, not a 16, but it looks exactly like that.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:
I personally am NOT knowledgeable. But, I do have a good friend who owns his own woodworking company and he’s usually a wiz with old and new machines/hand tools.

Oh, yes please! Any source of information, parts sources, manuals, etc. greatly appreciated.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
My dad had a number of Walker-Turner tools in his shop, and still has a WT Bandsaw.

I think his is a 12 or 14 inch, not a 16, but it looks exactly like that.

Cool! I was kind of hoping that might be the case. W-T has a great reputation.

Even so, the Craftsman stuff from that era was good solid equipment too.

posted Hide Post
In an advanced Metals class in college we built bandsaws one semester. The particular saw had a gear reduction for cutting metal. We did the math and I think the 1725 rpm motor was reduced by 30:1 for cutting metal. Wood was more like 4:1 reduction.

Might be useful information.
At least something to start with.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
In an advanced Metals class in college we built bandsaws one semester. The particular saw had a gear reduction for cutting metal. We did the math and I think the 1725 rpm motor was reduced by 30:1 for cutting metal. Wood was more like 4:1 reduction.

Might be useful information.
At least something to start with.

Useful indeed. Thank you!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:

Oh, yes please! Any source of information, parts sources, manuals, etc. greatly appreciated.

I will text him the pictures you posted (with your permission of course) and see what info he has.

It’ll be tomorrow(ish).

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think originally he had the band saw, a combination disk/belt table sander, and a 6" jointer.

I have dad's 10 inch Craftsman table saw from 1946 built into a saw table. Saw and extensions are cast iron, 1.5 inches thick. 220 volt 3 hp motor, belt drive. Thing is absolutely amazing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Nice find. Looks a lot like the band saw we had in the original shop when I was in high school in the late 70s. They built a new shop that we used during our senior year and replaced it and most of the old stuff that had probably been there in the old building before my started high school in the early 50s.

Regarding manuals, those for some old machines have been scanned and placed online. I found the manual for my wife's sewing machine (an old, metal Singer that her grandmother had originally purchased new) online so we could service it correctly and I was able to identify 1947 as the year of manufacture from the serial number. My wife's been using it for occasional new projects as well as repairs since she gave her much newer "plastic" machine to our daughter several years ago.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I live part time in Madison, Wisconsin, and a church was sold nearby. They must have had crafts at some point and got rid of the equipment. I picked up and restored an old Rockwell scroll saw that weighs about 150 lbs. They drug it into a snow bank beside the road. It sat several days before I picked it up.

Below is a similar example:

http://vintagemachinery.org/ph...detail.aspx?id=13256

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I posted pics on the Old Wood Working Tools forum on Vintage Machinery.

One responder says definitely W-T, and probably 1937-1940ish.

I'll start tearing it down today for cleaning/inspection/lubrication.

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I would take it just to save it from being thrown into the scrap heap.

Walker Turner made nice tools back then and I would would say is even better now then some new stuff.

If you go the vintagemachinery.org the have a company listed that provides ball bearings to fit or extremely close to the originals.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I finished taking it apart and inspecting it today.

All but one of the bearings are good, but I'm going to replace the main drive shaft bearings anyway because I have it apart.

The lower blade guide bearing is pretty iffy and likely unobtainium. I have it soaking in the hopes that a good clean and relube will make it serviceable.

I have WTB's up over at Vintage Machinery for the upper wheel and a blade guide insert.

Took the end bells off the motor, blew it out good, lubed the weights on the start switch and it starts well and coasts down normally.

Pretty much everything else looks like clean it, lube it and put it back together. There is a fair bit of "junk drawer" hardware where bolts/nuts/washers/screws fell out or got lost. I'll replace everything with as near original as I can get my hands on.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool! I was kind of hoping that might be the case. W-T has a great reputation.

Agreed. I have an old Craftsman drill press I figure is from that era, in "Craftsman Blue", and it's a pretty darn good machine.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

No top wheel?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
PHPaul just out of curiosity what kind of lube are you using on the various parts. I would guess that what was used that long ago is not what is commonly used now..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

No top wheel?

It's there, I'd just taken it off prior to taking that picture.

Attempting to find a replacement as it was broken and brazed back together. Has a pretty significant wobble in it now.