SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can Powerlines Energize LED Lights Via Magnetic Field?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Powerlines Energize LED Lights Via Magnetic Field? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
^Induction was my first thought as well, but the OP mentioned not being near high voltage lines. Would an ordinary stepped-down residential power line generate that much of a magnetic field I wonder?

As I stated above, residential distribution is 14,000 volts. That’s still significant voltage. Also, distribution lines are much lower.

This would be easy to test. Take a little coil of wire and put a meter on each side and check it for micro voltage.

Magnetic induction happens as a result of current, voltage is actually irrelevant.

There’s a separate phenomenon that can occur due to electric fields produced by high voltages, but I don’t think that it would cause an LED to light up near a residential distribution line.

I see somebody studied Maxwell's Equations in college.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10917 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
quote:
quote:
^Induction was my first thought as well, but the OP mentioned not being near high voltage lines. Would an ordinary stepped-down residential power line generate that much of a magnetic field I wonder?

As I stated above, residential distribution is 14,000 volts. That’s still significant voltage. Also, distribution lines are much lower.

This would be easy to test. Take a little coil of wire and put a meter on each side and check it for micro voltage.

Magnetic induction happens as a result of current, voltage is actually irrelevant.

There’s a separate phenomenon that can occur due to electric fields produced by high voltages, but I don’t think that it would cause an LED to light up near a residential distribution line.

I see somebody studied Maxwell's Equations in college.

Actually, magnetic induction produces voltage, not the other way around.

https://www.electronics-tutori...g%20just%20magnetism.

In other words, Electromagnetic Induction is the process of using magnetic fields to produce voltage, and in a closed circuit, a current.

So how much voltage (emf) can be induced into the coil using just magnetism. Well this is determined by the following 3 different factors.

1). Increasing the number of turns of wire in the coil – By increasing the amount of individual conductors cutting through the magnetic field, the amount of induced emf produced will be the sum of all the individual loops of the coil, so if there are 20 turns in the coil there will be 20 times more induced emf than in one piece of wire.

2). Increasing the speed of the relative motion between the coil and the magnet – If the same coil of wire passed through the same magnetic field but its speed or velocity is increased, the wire will cut the lines of flux at a faster rate so more induced emf would be produced.
3). Increasing the strength of the magnetic field – If the same coil of wire is moved at the same speed through a stronger magnetic field, there will be more emf produced because there are more lines of force to cut.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Easy test, pull the battery cable

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Actually, magnetic induction produces voltage, not the other way around.

https://www.electronics-tutori...g%20just%20magnetism.

In other words, Electromagnetic Induction is the process of using magnetic fields to produce voltage, and in a closed circuit, a current.

So how much voltage (emf) can be induced into the coil using just magnetism. Well this is determined by the following 3 different factors.

1). Increasing the number of turns of wire in the coil – By increasing the amount of individual conductors cutting through the magnetic field, the amount of induced emf produced will be the sum of all the individual loops of the coil, so if there are 20 turns in the coil there will be 20 times more induced emf than in one piece of wire.

2). Increasing the speed of the relative motion between the coil and the magnet – If the same coil of wire passed through the same magnetic field but its speed or velocity is increased, the wire will cut the lines of flux at a faster rate so more induced emf would be produced.
3). Increasing the strength of the magnetic field – If the same coil of wire is moved at the same speed through a stronger magnetic field, there will be more emf produced because there are more lines of force to cut.

I’m talking about the other direction.

The strength of the magnetic field produced by the power line (and thus the potential for meaningful induction to happen near it) is a result of the current flowing through the power line and has nothing to do with voltage.

Your link agrees. “The magnetic flux developed around the coil being proportional to the amount of current flowing in the coils windings as shown.”

Also, your link and your discussion here are based on induction in a moving coil in a constant magnetic field.

The trailer is parked.

The situation here (if induction is actually what is happening) is flipped - the coil isn’t moving, the magnetic field is. It is alternating at 60 Hz with the current in the power line.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ah, so you did. Sorry, it was late and I missed it. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16336 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easy test, pull the battery cable

I thought of that also, but then I realized that it could still be induction from nearby power lines and pulling the battery cable is simply breaking the circuit so no current could flow regardless of the power source.

Someone mentioned moving the trailer and seeing if the LEDs still light up. I think that might be the thing to try, presuming the OP actually cares enough to do it.

(I guess you could also try augmenting the suspected ground wire with another cable and seeing if the lights go out, but actually moving the trailer would be more definitive.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16336 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Back in the 90's in highschool, I had a Nokia 6190 cell phone. You could head down to the mall and swap out the antenna with an aftermarket novelty that had LEDs in the antenna tip.

The LEDs would light up when a call was in progress, powered by the EMF generated by the cellular signal.

I bet the EMF from nearby lines is enough to push some really dim LEDs.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:I

[/QUOTE]Depending on where you live , residential distribution voltage varies greatly . Around here it could be 4kv to as much 34kv .

Posts: 4054 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to burst some of yall's bubble , but I spent most of my 40 yr career with power companies working in high voltage substations . The voltage in some of them was as much as 550,000 volts and the buswork was very low in some of them . Obviously we had LED's on vehicles , trailers , and tons of them on equipment indicating lights . I never saw an LED light up from induction , static , or anything else like that.

Posts: 4054 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I hate to burst some of yall's bubble , but I spent most of my 40 yr career with power companies working in high voltage substations . The voltage in some of them was as much as 550,000 volts and the buswork was very low in some of them . Obviously we had LED's on vehicles , trailers , and tons of them on equipment indicating lights . I never saw an LED light up from induction , static , or anything else like that.

Yeah, I see what you mean. We've covered how the mag field from the current in power lines could send the power, but for the LED to light, the trailer end of things (LED, Etc.) would need a complete circuit for current to flow through the LED. Much like the secondary circuit on a transformer with weak coupling. I don't see that we have that necessary complete circuit loop, unless I missed something in how the trailer wiring was described. .

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10917 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes you can induce voltage in a conductor that is in proximity to transmission lines.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard that fluorescent tubes can be illuminated in the proximity of high tension lines. So why not LEDs?

Induction happens when you move a conductor through a magnetic field. Electrons flow = current. In this case, the conductive circuit is stationary, and the magnetic field is moving, generated by the alternating current in the high voltage lines (same process as used by wireless phone chargers).

I've seen fluorescent bulbs light up when placed near a CB antenna when it was keyed up. I don't see why an LED would be any different

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Didn't Tesla light his lab with fluorescent tubes that weren't "connected" to anything?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^He certainly did when he was portrayed by David Bowie. Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Didn't Tesla light his lab with fluorescent tubes that weren't "connected" to anything?

There is no need to "connect" anything.

Lamp Tester

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Yeah, I see what you mean. We've covered how the mag field from the current in power lines could send the power, but for the LED to light, the trailer end of things (LED, Etc.) would need a complete circuit for current to flow through the LED. Much like the secondary circuit on a transformer with weak coupling. I don't see that we have that necessary complete circuit loop, unless I missed something in how the trailer wiring was described. .

For a (comparatively) very small amount of power, there are circumstances where you either don’t need a closed circuit at all or where a very high-impedance path in a device that would normally not be considered a closed circuit is good enough.

After all, a typical radio antenna is an open circuit supplying a tiny amount of power as input to an amplifier.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If 550,000 volts in close proximity to an LED won't turn it on , your distribution line sure won't do it . Believe what you want .

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
If 550,000 volts in close proximity to an LED won't turn it on , your distribution line sure won't do it . Believe what you want .

I never said that I thought induction was causing the LEDs to glow. I didn’t say this, but I kind of doubt it.

I was addressing some incorrect and some incomplete statements about electromagnetic phenomena.

However, it’s certainly possible in principle. There’s plenty of energy in the electromagnetic fields around power lines carrying a lot of current. The mechanism is different and doesn’t apply to LEDs, but as an example, you can go stand under transmission lines with a bare 4’ fluorescent tube that isn’t connected to anything and it will glow. It won’t “turn on” like it is plugged in, but it will glow enough that you can see it.

posted Hide Post
The OP speculated that the overhead distribution lines may be causing the LED's to light up . In my experience I say it won't . This has nothing to do with florescent tubes .

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

<snip>

However, it’s certainly possible in principle. There’s plenty of energy in the electromagnetic fields around power lines carrying a lot of current. The mechanism is different and doesn’t apply to LEDs, but as an example, you can go stand under transmission lines with a bare 4’ fluorescent tube that isn’t connected to anything and it will glow. It won’t “turn on” like it is plugged in, but it will glow enough that you can see it.

The guy in the video myrottiety posted on the first page does it with both a fluorescent bulb and an LED bulb and both do it because both bulbs have a phosphorus coating that fluoresces in the presence of certain wavelengths of EMR. I just learned this today: white LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a lens coated with a yellow, green, and/or red phosphorus coating. Link

The OP probably really just wants to know why his lights appeared to be on and asked if the power lines had something to do with it. Seems like they could.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post