SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simplify the Tillman Act for me please?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simplify the Tillman Act for me please? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I have seen the History Channel Doc about Carnegie, Morgan and, Rockefeller. Many here probably viewed that years back. Installing a President is nothing new. It's my understanding Teddy Roosevelt helped passage of the Act. Even as he was accused of taking big corporate money. Seems there is no enforcement provisions in Tillman and even today, candidates find clever ways to skirt around it for money. I think it was Citizens United who challenged candidates huge corporate donations and IIRC, Justice Thomas upheld part of the Law due to free speech protection. As much as I understand this, I confuse easily and cannot get it to a state of learned. Any how, I've often wondered how this Law maybe could have held in check, big donors like facebook zuck. Can any of the Sig Forum Lawyers put Tillman, as we have it today, into a simple mans perspective. I'd prefer your actual knowledge and not another wall of text or youtube education. Have you the time, I thank you.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The truth is that smart people, their accountants and lawyers, can figure out how to get around anything.
That's why there are so many seemingly convoluted things done in business, government, tax law, and politics.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the law of unintended consequences. The more well-intended the law, the more harm it will cause.

Posts: 6489 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Tillman act prohibits non-human entities from making campaign contributions.

However the humans working for those companies can make them.

And companies can fund political advertising and electioneering that is not directed by the candidates. Think PACs, etc. Those are not campaign contributions.

Citizen's United dealt with laws prohibiting certain electioneering activities within specified times of elections, which had been prohibited. Citizen's United held that some of those rules were not constitutional, but did not disturb the Tillman Act.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post