SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The doorbell rang, and you saw the Charles Chips truck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The doorbell rang, and you saw the Charles Chips truck Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
... backing out of your driveway.

And there on your front doorstep was the big old can.

Glory Days!

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Noooooo!

Posts: 5739 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
The pretzels were great.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MUST resist.....

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yup. I used to love those chips.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I still use a couple of the small cookie cans and the std small chip cans, for chips and pretzels. GOOD memories.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Wise potato chips. $2 a bag. You can still find a "grease pot" chip on occasion.

Wise chips, turkey hoagie, and a Coke. That is about as good as it gets.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belwolf:
The pretzels were great.
A long time ago, I went to my parent's house at Christmas. My dad wanted to get out for a bit, so we rode around. I see something in the gutter ahead that's fairly large. As I got closer, I could see it was a box with a familiar logo. For S&Gs, I pulled over and saw the box was full of pretzels (I think 24 large bags). As the box had frost over it, it'd been there a while. And that's still the most valuable thing I ever found.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Used one of their cans to store snacks in at summer camp.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in Detroit, we could buy New Era potato chips in a can like that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

You scarred me there for a moment because I thought you were saying Charles Chips was out of business.

I buy mine at the local Bed Bath & Beyond store that has a large food section.

The Charles Chips website has a store locator:
https://CharlesChips.com/Store-Finder/

Did you know that Charles Chips has an online store and will ship directly to your front door?
https://CharlesChips.com/Shop/

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
When I was a kid in Detroit, we could buy New Era potato chips in a can like that.

flashguy
. My father would keep all his receipts in one of those. It’s been 40 years since I saw one.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the Fuller Brush man and the milk man. Our neighborhood had a diaper delivery service too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My dad was a Milkman in Detroit in the 1960s--he worked for Wilson Dairy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our milk delivery was from Molers Dairy. My Maternal aunt worked there. We used to visit her at work. Real ice Cream and Malts.
And then there was... The Egg Man.
This dude was an older Dunkard. Which is a small religious sect, kinda like the Amish. Except they drove. The Egg Man came twice a week. I would answer the door when he arrived, since he came after school. Every time he came, I would ask him "are you the egg man"? Every time he delivered, I asked him the same thing. Every time. The Dunkards are a patient people. I believe the Egg Man wanted desperately to smack me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the memories; we had one of both the chips and pretzel cans. The parents kept them stocked with whatever snacks we were eating at the time. They still have them; you can order them to the door but I suspect the Charles trucks are now UPS or similar.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you think the new tins are the same size as the old? I totally remember the cans! I can't recall the chips. Guessing the tins were still in the basement, but that they were from the 60's before I was around.

POST WIN FOR THE DAY!, by the way. Love it. Thank you!

My I suggest this should be your CUT in some permutation. America's version of an Italian singing from the windows. Big Grin

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

You scarred me there for a moment because I thought you were saying Charles Chips was out of business.

I buy mine at the local Bed Bath & Beyond store that has a large food section.

The Charles Chips website has a store locator:
https://CharlesChips.com/Store-Finder/

Did you know that Charles Chips has an online store and will ship directly to your front door?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only thing the current Charles Chips has in common with the original company is the name. It's a new, completely different company that just bought the name.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I remember the Charles Chips truck coming in the early 70s. I vividly remember our driver would give us little packs of 6 Oreo like cookies if we were outside when he was delivering to our home. I recently found a bag of them on the shelf at our Fresh Market. I used one of the tins to store all of my Lincoln Logs.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I still have a tin around here somewhere,

good chips,

the CChips version of Cracker Jacks was good too,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post