SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Negligent discharge today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negligent discharge today Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mine was not an AD, nor an ND. New term: UD (Unexpected Discharge).

At the range, I got into the habit of pointing an empty gun at the backstop and pulling the trigger before holstering, to confirm that it is empty. Long-standing habit, I just do it without even thinking about it.

And then there was the day that I thought the pistol was empty. Pointed it at the backstop area, pulled the trigger, and BANG went the safe, but Unexpected, Discharge.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

And then there was the day that I thought the pistol was empty. Pointed it at the backstop area, pulled the trigger, and BANG went the safe, but Unexpected, Discharge.

That's still negligence.

If you had dropped the magazine and racked it half a dozen times, that would not have happened. That should be as habitual as breathing IMO

Posts: 33584 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've had two. Both on the range, and both with the gun pointed in an entirely safe direction. In both cases, I allowed something to distract me. Once in a three gun match, I left a round chambered in my shotgun after a complicated stage and forgot/didn't realize I had chambered a new round. I pulled the trigger, and bang.

The other was a Ruger MkII. I don't really remember how I left a round in the chamber, but pulled the trigger when a round was in the gun I didn't remember was there.

In each case, something distracted me. Following the other rules - namely having the gun pointed in a safe direction saved the day.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, since this is morphing into a "Hi, my name is <name here> and I've had an ND" thread Smile

I've had one, and it was truly embarrassing.

There was a couple Official Old Guys having trouble with their pistol at this one public range one day. I asked them what seemed to be the problem. They described it to me. "Hmmm... let me see."

So, pistol loaded and pointed safely down-range, I tried the thing. Sure enough: It was doing precisely what they claimed it was doing.

So there I was, pistol pointed safely down-range, turned to tell them "Yeah, this isn't right. I'd contact <manufacturer> about it," meanwhile idly continuing to test the trigger , and...

*BANG*!.

There was nothing wrong with the pistol at all. It just had a really unconscionably long take-up and an unbelievably stiff trigger pull. Like nothing I'd ever experienced with any semi-auto ever before.

(I think it was a Taurus something-or-other.)

I thank my lucky stars: 1. There are four rules of gun safety and 2. I learned my lesson in a manner that was merely embarrassing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My name’s Wayne and I’m a negligent discharger…

(crowd murmurs “Hi Wayne”)

I won’t go into all the embarrassing details, but short story is a full power .357 Mag going off unexpectedly 10” from your ear is probably a helluva lot louder than a 9mm at arms link.

NEVER become complacent, no matter how much experience. One brain fart moment can destroy lives.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10912 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's already been beat to death, but the bottom line is this is 100 percent attributable to your son's poor gun handling technique. The proper way to clear a semi-auto is to drop the magazine first, then rack the slide to check the chamber is clear. This is done for the exact reason you experienced, so the person handling the gun doesn't inadvertently load it while trying to clear it. Hopefully he learned that lesson and at least the consequences weren't tragic.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Had somewhat similar years ago, but it was an XDS racked then mag ejected, then 'dry-fired' the chambered round into the floor.
Scariest part was that we were upstairs & my wife/kids were downstairs almost directly below us.
Floor joist took the round, I'm assuming.

9mm in a large bedroom wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be. Carpet, curtains & furniture soaks up some sound I guess.
Unfinished basement is especially loud. Eek

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Good lord that kinda thing puts me into PTSD. He picks up the gun, I would have been anxiety level 10. He racks the slide I'd have stood up experiencing panic.

I don't like anyone helping themselves to my guns, for this exact reason. 2nd to just making an ass out of themselves with my empty gun. It's not a toy.

Good thing no one got hurt.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
"Put the gun down."

Posts: 2712 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the ringing in my right ear has gone away. I knew I would get flamed by some.
My son has had access to my firearms since he was a teenager, never touched them
unless I was present. I never saw him pick up a pistol without taking the mag out
and checking the chamber. When he saw the glock 27 I told him there were rounds in
the mag. It was about two hours later he picked it up and racked the slide.
Now I have a .40 round under the most heavily traveled part of my family room.
I tried that flexible tool with the plunger on one end and a claw comes out the other.
It just bunched up the padding and made it worse.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it wasn't a 10mm. It could have cracked your foundation. Big Grin

Posts: 12565 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Glad it wasn't a 10mm. It could have cracked your foundation. Big Grin

Beat me to it. Was gonna say a .45 ACP round might have tilted the world's axis.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 13 y.o.
In an indoor range
Loaded my .22 LR semi auto rifle for the 4th time.

The R.O. had his back to me .

Muzzle was pointed down range

While picking up the gun to shoot.
I sent a round in to the concrete floor 60 ft. Down range, 10 feet in front of the back stop.

No previous gun lessons or courses or training.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54493 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had my ND when I was 11 or 12. I shot my mother's Kenmore dishwasher with a .357 revolver. IIRC, it was a Remington 158 grain softpoint.

Since that time almost 50 years ago, I've handled loaded firearms countless times, and daily since I was old enough to buy my own guns. That one in '73 has been it, and I'd say that that dishwasher did not die in vain.

I'd also say that the age of 27 is too far along to not know better. It's not my intention to be harsh, but it's the truth.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107242 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I'd also say that the age of 27 is too far along to not know better. It's not my intention to be harsh, but it's the truth.

Agree. When it went off he looked at me, I shook my head and the only thing I said was "you beat everything".
He came over today and I didn't say a word about it. He feels bad enough already.
I'm 62 and have never had an ND, hopefully he will never have another.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
My first one was when I was about 4 years old. I had a Daisy BB gun, shook it hard, hearing no BB's rattling around, shot a game show host on the neighbor's color TV. Could'a been Allen Funt or Art Linkletter, don't remember.

Not many homes had a color TV in those days, then there was one fewer.

Had one other, but would take me too long to type it out.

Posts: 2712 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you shoot USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun etc long enough, you'll see some pretty weird sh*t every once in awhile. Not often but perhaps once a year. Doesn't matter if they are novice's or Master level folks. Stuff happens and ND's can happen to the Pro's during a course of fire on a stage. Yes, distraction can be a big contributor. I DQ'd a guy a few weeks ago for showing up at the firing line with a chambered round. It was the first stage of the match and his first time shooting a match and he attended all the safety briefs etc. before the match.

In my case, I have a Sand bucket in my garage where I load and unload. Knock on wood, I haven't had a ND.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're there witnesses to the dishwasher hit?

Posts: 54493 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope, just me

Posts: 107242 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet,
The 4th worst thing that could happen with an ND is to have witnesses.