SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ultimate $1.5m 1911’s Made From 4.5b Year Old Meteorite for Auction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate $1.5m 1911’s Made From 4.5b Year Old Meteorite for Auction Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
Link:

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/p...ls-meteorite-auction

Two pistols made from a 4.5 billion-year-old meteorite could fetch $1.5 million when they are auctioned later this month.

Constructed from part of the Muonionalusta Meteorite, which was discovered in Sweden in 1906, the working .45 caliber pistols offer an unusual take on the classic 1911 handgun design. Experts believe that the meteorite slammed into Earth about 1 million years ago, although the meteorite itself is thought to date back some 4.5 billion years.

Dallas-based auction house Heritage Auctions will be selling the pistols, either individually or as a set, at an auction on July 20.

The majority of the metal in these guns is meteorite,” Craig Kissick, director of science and nature at Heritage Auctions, told Fox News, noting that the pre-sale estimate for the set is $1 million to $1.5 million.

Individually, the pre-sale estimate for each handgun starts at $500,000.

Kissick explained that the pistols are modeled after the famous Colt 1911 pistol, noting that the M1911 was the preferred handgun of the U.S. military from 1911 through 1968. “It really has no peer in terms of being the classic American handgun,” he said.

The right-handed pistols are not identical. One is a GI model and the other is custom model, according to Heritage Auctions.

Constructing a gun out of meteorite was a new experience for gunsmith Lou Biondo of Business End Customs, who was commissioned to build the unusual weapons. “The client was referred to me by somebody else - I have never worked with this material before, so it was something that intrigued me,” he told Fox News. “I was supplied with the raw material that looked like a rock – it was something very, very cool.”

Biondo explained that he had to be extremely careful when he was cutting through the chunk of meteorite. “It was definitely one of those jobs where you had to go by feel and sound,” he said. “If you mix carbon steel, aluminum, stainless steel and throw in some diamonds, that’s what it felt like."

The gunsmith added that, while there are no actual diamonds in the meteorite, there are “diamond-like inclusions,” in the material the guns were fashioned from. While the cutter went through some parts of the meteorite fairly easily, there were other parts that were more difficult. "I actually broke a couple of cutters,” he told Fox News.

The unusual weapons have already been test-fired. “I had to make sure that these guys actually work, as a safety aspect,” Biondo said. “I test-fired both pistols and they were fun to shoot, but knowing the price tag, I stopped!”

The pistols have fired 35 rounds each, according to Heritage Auctions.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Cabot Guns did a set from a meteor a couple of years ago with mastodon ivory handles IIRC. Similar price too.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
How much would we each have to chip in to win this one? Big Grin

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Those pistols are out of this world.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Cabot Guns did a set from a meteor a couple of years ago with mastodon ivory handles IIRC. Similar price too.

Yeah they introduced them in 2016.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/HsvcA6k4SLg

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Imagine putting an idiot scratch on one of those...... On the other hand it might be hard to see a scratch on a busy surface like that.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Yeah they introduced them in 2016.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/HsvcA6k4SLg

I've known Rob for years. It still cracks me up that he started making guns. He's a great guy. Funny how life's path leads places.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Send ‘em to Bruce Gray, he’ll get ‘em running.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Nice Karma, Count me in...

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find this interesting. There are quite a few knife makers who set out to make a knife out of meteorite. It almost always fails. The metal content is a poor match for knifie making. It makes me wonder how useable these would be.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd use a 1.5 mil gun...
That's going in a display case somewhere.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I don't think I'd use a 1.5 mil gun...
That's going in a display case somewhere.
With inch-thick bulletproof glass and an armor steel case fastened to a granite wall with hidden bolts.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
King Tut was buried with a knife made from a meteorite.

https://www.space.com/33037-ki...de-of-meteorite.html

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As nice as they look there's got to be tons of better ways to spend that kind of money. And this from a decades old 1911 fanboy! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get the appeal either. They look neat but even if I had the money, I wouldn't get them.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Meh...… I'll stick with my Dan Wessons, and the like...

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
pffft...If they did them in 10mm, maybe...

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
But will Cera-Kote finish adhere to these or will a new owner have to send his off to CCR for a refinish? Asking for a friend. Razz

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post