SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm so excited!! - About going to the range.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm so excited!! - About going to the range. Login/Join 
posted
I'll be honest and say I haven't been to the range in a long time (years). Life gets in the way. Anyway, my Father in law and I have a date for the range. It's an indoor range, and I haven't ever been to an indoor range before.
I'm thinking for this trip, I'm only going to take the P229 and the Px4 Storm.

I can't wait!

Posts: 682 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I recommend double hearing protection. And, hopefully, you don't have someone shooting their AR in there. Have fun.

Q

Posts: 26592 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Double up on the ears, keep an eye on the folks around you, and HAVE FUN!!!

Posts: 6940 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to thank the RSO.

Posts: 6537 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Don't forget to thank the RSO.

I do. Sometimes, if you get a good one, he may offer advice on your shooting. I had one guy notice that I was slightly bringing my eyes down to the sights instead of bringing the sights up to my eyes. It helped a ton.

Posts: 682 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's good stuff...always good to hear about somebody shaking the dust off and getting back out there shooting. Be safe, burn a bunch of ammo (maybe come up with some drills before you go to get the most out of it), and have fun...and be sure to share a range report here when you get back!

Posts: 8728 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:

I would take all five guns in your signature list. Unless it's one of those ranges that charges 'per gun' that you bring in, you should run at least one mag through each to remind yourself of what you like & why you own each particular model.

quote:
I recommend double hearing protection. And, hopefully, you don't have someone shooting their AR in there. Have fun.

This is exactly what happened to me this past Sun. I was in the section of the range that is supposed to be pistol-only. I guess the guy shooting his short-barrel AR next to me thought it qualified as a pistol. Uh yeah, that makes it even worse.

I did double-up on hearing protection, as is my SOP.

Posts: 3193 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Even with double protection, the concussion from someone shooting it in the booth next to you is really unbearable.

Q

Posts: 26592 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
357 SIG ain't too pleasant either. I used to be in an indoor range, but let it go once I retired and can go any time there is an opportunity. Usually Tue - Thur, range often few to no other shooters then.

Posts: 1644 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
C'mon, how about a full range report. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36846 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my ammo delivery from Natchezss. One of the boxes was 500 rounds of loose ammo. As you probably know, that box is heavy. If I don't want to take all 500 rounds to the range, what should I use to transport say 100 rounds?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
C'mon, how about a full range report. Smile

I haven't made it yet. I remember those range reports. I'll write one for sure.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If I don't want to take all 500 rounds to the range, what should I use to transport say 100 rounds?

Load your magazines at home before heading to the range. You can spend more time shooting instead of reloading.

Posts: 671 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
quote:
If I don't want to take all 500 rounds to the range, what should I use to transport say 100 rounds?

Load your magazines at home before heading to the range. You can spend more time shooting instead of reloading.

This is good advice. If you want to take more ammo than you have mags for, but not the whole rest of the box, ziploc bags are cheap and effective.

Posts: 8728 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think bringing two guns is enough for this time around...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

I would take all five guns in your signature list. Unless it's one of those ranges that charges 'per gun' that you bring in, you should run at least one mag through each to remind yourself of what you like & why you own each particular model.

Wait, there are ranges that charge the customer 'per gun' for the number of personal firearms they bring to the range? WTAF! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9017 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are ranges that charge per gun. Some even charge per gun and per hour.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Wow, unless that's the ONLY charge/range fee, I can't believe people actually put up with that shit...in Texas! Or ANYWHERE for that matter! Do the inspect your range bag too? Mandate purchasing their overpriced ammo as well?

There must be other/better places to shoot...I would NEVER put up with ANY of that shit!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9017 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Thankfully, I have many better options for places to shoot than ones that charge 'per gun'. No, I don't put up w/ that. Homey don't play that.

I don't understand how ranges like that stay in business.

Posts: 3193 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot at a State owned Wildlife Management Area . Two ranges , covered firing line , etc. FREE . I prefer an outdoor range anyway .

Posts: 4084 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post