SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If a snake swallowed something not digestible what happens?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If a snake swallowed something not digestible what happens? Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
I ask this question based on removing a rat snake from the chicken coop. We have porcelain eggs to help the hens know where to lay. In the event the snake ingested one or two (maybe even three) of these fake eggs, what happens to the snake? Will it pass them? Will it vomit them? Will it die due to blockage?

Thanks, I tried Google, but my fu is weak.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to see the vet. Using my Google skills. Here is the link:

http://mentalfloss.com/article...een-swallowed-snakes

Additional video here:

https://www.couriermail.com.au...a245ea693365788b3922

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Lol, the fu got stronger once I posted (isn't that always the way?). It seems that it is possible to massage it back out if patience and persistence is used.

The problem is, I didn't look for the missing porcelain eggs prior to capture and release, so I relocated the snake to the woods at the other side of the property.

Here's to hoping the snake can self regurgitate.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Holy cow. Sort of an ouroborous in reverse?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Similar...one of the damnedest things I ever saw was a black snake that suffocated trying to ingest a full grown chicken head first in our chicken house when I was 9 or 10.

Both of them. Deader n shit. Chicken stuck in snake’s throat.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'm not massaging a snake......

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

i heard you can go blind if you do

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You better patent these porcelain eggs......Maybe you can sell them to the US government to put all over the everglades for the pythons!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I was thinking bigger.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Heimlich maneuver?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I can’t recall grandpa ever taking a snake caught in his henhouse to the vet. He usually just took care of the final arrangements.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
I can’t recall grandpa ever taking a snake caught in his henhouse to the vet. He usually just took care of the final arrangements.

Same with my farmer friends growing up in high school. There was always a great memorial for the snake caught in the hen house. Usually a one gun salute.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

i heard you can go blind if you do

Hahaha. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
You have one less egg thief to worry about.

Posts: 8626 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post