SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for our senior citizen retired military. Should I sign up with the VA for health care ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for our senior citizen retired military. Should I sign up with the VA for health care ? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Here's the link to "Equal to VA Form 10-10EZ (Application for Health Benefits)" ... all done online.
https://www.va.gov/health-care...ication/introduction

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Here's the link to "Equal to VA Form 10-10EZ (Application for Health Benefits)" ... all done online.

Guess things have changed or I misunderstood / was misinformed way back when. Frown I've been retired for a LONG time. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Hopefully others will continue to respond, share experiences and answer questions we may have.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
A while back, I spoke with a guy I know (in his 80's, but doesn't look it), who is a former commander of the VFW here and who still serves in a very active capacity at our local Disabled American Veterans (DAV) chapter here. Tom IMPLORED me to register with the VA for health benefits. Tom had steered me wrong on something unrelated in the past and that's why I search for other opinions. Guess I should have listened to Tom after all.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Looked at the application in the link you posted Hobbs. Why do they need a copy of my tax return and my financial information? Screw that! Frown

I'm a veteran and retired veteran at that. That should be sufficient period!

-----------------------------------------

Okay did some research. The VA uses the veterans financial situation as determining factor for both health care programs and co-payment responsibilities.

Well again screw that! Frown I have zip co-pays with great private sector health care providers.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short answer: Yes

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Looked at the application in the link you posted Hobbs. Why do they need a copy of my tax return and my financial information? Screw that! Frown

I'm a veteran and retired veteran at that. That should be sufficient period!

-----------------------------------------

Okay did some research. The VA uses the veterans financial situation as determining factor for both health care programs and co-payment responsibilities.

Well again screw that! Frown I have zip co-pays with great private sector health care providers.

If you dig a little deeper, you'll find the financial records are only required in certain circumstances. And even so, if you open the application and look at the financial block, it isn't very invasive ... from what I remember from one look. Additionally, if you aren't clear on a particular requirement, they list numbers you can call for assistance ... or go to the nearest VA for assistance and questions.

EDIT: I'm already somewhat in the VA system with 40% disability and don't think I'd have to give them any financial information in registering for health benefits. They'd pretty much just pull up the info they already have on me and it's a done deal.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am 83 and retired USAF in 1980. I never signed up for VA because my employer (TI) had excellent health insurance. When I retired from them I'd already gone with Medicare A & B and Tricare for Life. My service from them has been adequate, so I still haven't availed myself of the VA.

Perhaps I am shortsighted (I've been accused of it before) but I just didn't see the need for VA.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I hear ya flashguy. I haven't felt a need for it either.

Thing is, I wondered if applying for VA health care benefits would "lock" me into the VA for health care and/or somehow impact my existing coverage with Medicare and TFL.

As others have responded, my options for health care would still be wide open and I'd still be free to pick and choose how to use them. Apparently what signing up for VA health care benefits does is provide coverage and/or enhanced coverage for things Medicare and TFL might not pick up on. Signing up for VA health care simply adds another dimension to the "playbook" of options. I still haven't applied for VA health care ... but very likely soon will, whether I ever use it or not. Funny thing about life, ya just never really know.

EDIT: Somewhere in the back of my mind and (hopefully) WAY down the road, I might apply for admission into one of the Armed Forces Retirement Homes ... probably Gulfport ... and being already in the VA health care system might be a big plus if and when I ever HAVE to pull the trigger on that option ... or a State of Alabama military retirement home. I'm not married, don't have any children or close relatives anywhere near here and have to figure all my options for myself and/or stay abreast of all my options while I'm still sane and sound (as it is LOL).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thing is, I wondered if applying for VA health care benefits would "lock" me into the VA for health care and/or somehow impact my existing coverage with Medicare and TFL.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NO. In fact the VA has been known to file claims from private insurers. The Gulfport Armed Services Home is beautiful. They wisely downsized the bar when they rebuilt their facility. There is a long waiting list and I assume you know you must be enlisted. Some of the residents were complaining loudly about being locked down due to COVID, but that has improved. I heard they only accept Ole Miss fans, and Roll Tide is not an acceptable phrase.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Hobbs do it now. Get into the system. Does not mean you have to use it for everything... Both myself and wife were active duty Army veterans. Both happy with the care we have received. Should have signed up years ago. ............. drill sgt.

Posts: 2018 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Some of the residents were complaining loudly about being locked down due to COVID, but that has improved. I heard they only accept Ole Miss fans, and Roll Tide is not an acceptable phrase.

Big Grin !!! ... I did see a picture of the three (3) sign carrying lock-down protesters at the fence in Gulfport. And yes, I was enlisted. I recall getting some email or something a few months ago saying if thinking about Gulfport, now was a great time to get on the list. There were open beds. Although "locked" at home pretty much now, I'll still hold out as long as I can from going to any kind of retirement home. While the amenities are plentiful, great and appealing, there are still some expected restrictions to consider when in community housing. Besides, it would cost me more of my income to reside in Gulfport than it does now in my own home in the civy world.

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I got my hearing aids and glasses from them in Baton Rouge.
Some folks think you have to have a service related disability to get stuff.
I'm service connected for Tinnitus and Bilateral Hearing loss.

I sent a 80 year old Vet friend of mine to get some hearing aids. He had asked how I got mine I told him to take his DD-214 to the clinic in Baton Rouge. And to tell them he needed his hearing checked. They signed him up and tested him and probably less than a month he got his hearing aids and loves them.

Oh and they gave me glasses too.

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post