SIGforum
Oreos

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6180059705

April 10, 2024, 01:54 PM
Hamden106
Oreos
Prompted by this from the EV thread...
"EV industry does not need subsidies any more than Oreo's need subsidization. We would get by if both of them didn't exist. (just kidding, we seriously need Oreo's)"

Oreo's are made in Mexico. So says the package back. I had no idea
Not to mention "contains a bioengineered food ingredient"

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
April 10, 2024, 02:07 PM
konata88
Many things are. Explicitly or obfuscates. Whenever a package indicates "distributed by" rather than "manufactured in" i assume the product is made in mexico or elsewhere outside the US.

Cookies, crackers, granola bars, cereal. I'm cautious with these categories now.

I also avoid buy produce from mexico, especially stuff i eat raw. And will never buy anything food related from chicom. Which unfortunately for now means no ginger or edamame from my market.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
April 10, 2024, 02:09 PM
clang
We don't need Oreos when we can get Hydrox again. Our local Menards has them. the original sandwich cookie that Oreos copied.

And Hydrox taste better than Oreos anyway...
April 10, 2024, 03:13 PM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by clang:
We don't need Oreos when we can get Hydrox again. Our local Menards has them. the original sandwich cookie that Oreos copied.

And Hydrox taste better than Oreos anyway...

I had completely forgotten about Hydrox…Sunshine Hydrox, if memory serves

April 10, 2024, 03:17 PM
PASig
Allegedly the Oreos made in Canada are better than the US(Mexico) ones.

April 10, 2024, 04:04 PM
PakRatJR
As much as I enjoy them, I get this in my head way too often.

April 10, 2024, 09:00 PM
cas
Oreos are the best selling cookie in the world, EV's not so much.

April 10, 2024, 10:35 PM
Wolfpacker
I guess that I am the weird one here. Never did “get” the popularity. I have eaten one here and there. However, I don’t think that I have ever purchased a pack of them. Probably have not eaten 10 Oreos in my lifetime. YMMV of course.
April 11, 2024, 01:45 AM
arfmel
“Hydrox” always sounded like a monster some hero would fight in a Ray Harryhausen film.
April 11, 2024, 09:39 AM
bettysnephew
Was it Hydrox that would not absorb milk when dipped? I seem to recall an Oreo looking cookie that was impervious to liquids. It has been a very long time since I was a "yout" so could be mistaken.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
April 11, 2024, 09:55 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
“Hydrox” always sounded like a monster some hero would fight in a Ray Harryhausen film.

Or some sort of caustic chemical you clean oil stains off of your driveway with.

Man… now ya’ll got me looking at buying these on Amazon. The hell I need 51.6oz of these for? Razz

April 11, 2024, 10:01 AM
HRK
Decided to check it in our store last night picking up some dinner vittles...

Plain ol Oreos were made in Canada
The others we all Mexico.

Read online where they still have a plant in VA making them but none I checked were made in the USA.
April 11, 2024, 12:35 PM
PASig
Hydrox actually predates Oreos but their name hurt them and many mistakenly think THEY are the rip-off when it was the other way around.

My wife told me I was crazy but the Aldi Benton's Oreo knock-offs tasted better to me than brand-name Oreos last time I tried them at the same time.

April 11, 2024, 12:45 PM
HRK
walmart.com has them, and Menards now sells them, according to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Leafcandyandsnacks
April 11, 2024, 01:05 PM
apf383
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Oreos are the best selling cookie in the world, EV's not so much.

I’m certainly doing my part!!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

April 11, 2024, 02:03 PM
sigcrazy7
I bought some Hydrox cookies. The family didn’t like them, saying they weren’t as good as Oreos. The again, I made my brother some whipped cream, and he said it wasn’t as good as Cool-Whip. Decades ago, while doing some TSA training for Lockheed Martin, I had some mp4 videos on my Mac, but the training videos were wma files. The site leader said “that’s the problem with Macs. They won’t play the ‘standard’ media.” Roll Eyes

Sometimes people just accept the knockoff as the standard, and actually prefer it. To be honest, I prefer “I will Always Love You” when sung by Whitney over Dolly’s original.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
April 11, 2024, 08:44 PM
amals
Grew up with Hydrox. Always liked them better than Oreos. Glad they're becoming more readily available now, though I don't eat cookies much anymore. Might have to buy a bag to show my support.
April 11, 2024, 09:04 PM
TBH
Double stuffed must be made in the USA! I’ve been known to pound the lemon Oreos. I try really hard to stay away from desserts, but if I was to cheat, it would be a big, warm, chocolate chip cookie baked in cast iron, with a big scoop of ice cream!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15
April 11, 2024, 10:33 PM
konata88
I've never been a huge fan of oreos. I'd eat them but never really had a craving for them.

But now I want to try Hydrox. Hope I can find them in the local market.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
April 14, 2024, 06:00 PM
konata88
No joy, no Hyrdox in the local market I usually go to. They had other Oreo alternatives (Newman's, other brands I didn't recognize). But no Hydrox. I'll check other stores.

I did snag a bag of Dot's cheese curls. Not bad. Dot's products are pretty tasty but they all seem a little too salty for my taste as well. If they reduced the salt a bit, it'd be very nice.