SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robot security guard "terrorizing" homeless in San Francisco
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robot security guard "terrorizing" homeless in San Francisco Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I spent three days in San Francisco years ago during a "Fleet Week". I was a lance coconut and we went up on the USS Duluth (an LPD). We had a good time, lots of liberty. I loved the sourdough bread bowls with chowder and the cool misty mornings.

Is that a new rank us civilians are not familiar with? Razz

I've been traveling to SF a lot lately and am amazed on how the local business put up with the homeless. Made the mistake of walking down Mission St. south of 5th. The smell of urine on the sidewalks was unbearable.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5754 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I have no idea what the solution is. Similar to the feral cat problem in some ways -- the more you feed them, the more feral cats you have.
The feral cats I feed have all been fixed (the females).

flashguy

You live on an island?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Not so scary:

Scary:

https://battlebots.com/season-2-robots/

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Not so scary:

Scary:

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5754 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Vagrants, not homeless. Many of those people refuse housing, when offered. Some of them have families back in East Bumf*ck, where they came from, that would take them back, if they would go.
Choosing to be an "urban outdoorsman" does not make you part of the disadvantaged class. It makes you a stupid jerk.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Prawns.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Vagrants, not homeless. Many of those people refuse housing, when offered. Some of them have families back in East Bumf*ck, where they came from, that would take them back, if they would go.
Choosing to be an "urban outdoorsman" does not make you part of the disadvantaged class. It makes you a stupid jerk.

Bruce

The root of the problem is mental illness in many cases. But we no longer have the institutions for them, so that's that.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
In many locales, mental illness is certainly a root cause. Schizophrenic people living on the street break my heart. It varies by locale.
In Portland, San Francisco, and Las Vegas it's often a choice to be a vagrant and choose to prioritize drugs and freedom over housing. I have learned this from catering to their lifestyles, as an ER nurse.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I have no idea what the solution is. Similar to the feral cat problem in some ways -- the more you feed them, the more feral cats you have.
The feral cats I feed have all been fixed (the females).

flashguy

You live on an island?
No, but there are only a select few cats that show up outside when I feed them. They pretty much eat all I put out, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Funny to see this shit in Commiefornia. Fuel to the fire that is burning the left coast to the ground.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

So true. Virtual all of them are from east of the rockies.
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
I've been traveling to SF a lot lately and am amazed on how the local business put up with the homeless. Made the mistake of walking down Mission St. south of 5th. The smell of urine on the sidewalks was unbearable.

A revealing look at how impotent and feckless the Chamber of Commerce is compared to the 'homeless' advocate groups are in city government. Any store that dares to push back feels the wrath of the sympathizers while their minions will descend upon their front doors in protest, meanwhile endless streams of PR and sympathetic articles are pumped-out demonizing said business online and in neighborhood rags.
Yeah...bizarro world.

5th & Mission, you staying at the Intercontinental? Anywhere around that Mall and Market St is a no-go zone for me, that's where you take your kids and explain if they don't do their homework or do drugs, they'll end up like all the losers out there.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
The SPCA had to fire its security robot because libtards complained, and homeless are the core of the demoRAT base.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Now that it's cold, we've got the damn homeless hanging out at the Portland Airport (PDX).

They are scattered all over the baggage claim area. I had the luxury of having to step over them last weekend.

One got into a fight with a cop yesterday.

http://koin.com/2017/12/29/arr...le-running-from-pdx/

Freaking wonderful.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Around here, the homeless are told they are trespassing, and to move along. Two days later,they are warned again. A week later, the corrections bureau brings a van full of inmates and a dumpster, and throws EVERYTHING away to include all tents and worldy possessions. It's a beautiful sight. Mr homeless comes back to "his" camp and finds everything gone, and the ground beautifully raked where his tent once stood. Oops. Should have heeded those warnings.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Around here, the homeless are told they are trespassing, and to move along. Two days later,they are warned again. A week later, the corrections bureau brings a van full of inmates and a dumpster, and throws EVERYTHING away to include all tents and worldy possessions. It's a beautiful sight. Mr homeless comes back to "his" camp and finds everything gone, and the ground beautifully raked where his tent once stood. Oops. Should have heeded those warnings.

Oddly enough, these sweeps may soon be a thing of the past. They already are in some areas.

Have a look at Martin v. City & County of Honolulu. The outcome is that the disposal of homeless property violated two rights under the U.S. Constitution: the right against unreasonable seizures of property under the Fourth Amendment, and the right against deprivation of property without due process of the law under the Fourteenth Amendment.

I disagree with this outcome, seems like a bunch of crap, but the courts have spoken.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile in Texas.......

A federal judge has cleared the way for Houston city officials to enforce an ordinance that prohibits homeless people from setting up tents and temporary living quarters in public places.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Hoyt, who had blocked enforcement of the law while a civil lawsuit is pending in his court, lifted his temporary restraining order Thursday and denied a request for a preliminary injunction.

Full story
http://abc13.com/federal-judge...tent-cities/2839783/

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Well dang, an upside to winters with below freezing temps!

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post