SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does MSG give you headaches?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does MSG give you headaches? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I love the umami flavor that Accent (MSG) imparts to food. I put in lots foods, and never get headaches from it. Some folks say that it does gives them headaches, but there’s this:

“Studies have consistently failed to validate claims that MSG causes illness. A 1995 report ordered by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration suggested that some people can get symptoms like headaches or drowsiness from eating three grams or more of MSG on an empty stomach. But since the average adult consumes only 0.55 grams of added MSG per day, the FDA deemed it safe. MSG remains popular in Chinese cuisine and in products like potato chips and salad dressing. MSG’s flavor, umami, is even a taste category with its own tongue receptors (SN: 4/6/02, p. 221).”

www.google.com/amp/s/www.scien...taurant-syndrome/amp

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No headaches but, lots of smiles Smile Anybody claiming such, you should ask if they eat snack chips, cheese, tomatoes, aged meats like ham and salamis, aged steak, use soy sauce....all have MSG

Both guys, who I respect for their culinary acumen, have covered this subject:

Ask The Food Lab: The Truth About MSG
quote:
One final note: some have hypothesized that when it comes to Chinese restaurants specifically, MSG-rich broths consumed on an empty stomach may be part of the culprit, but there’s also a good possibility that some folks who claim sensitivity to MSG may in fact be experiencing reactions to other ingredients common in Chinese food but not so common in other restaurant cuisine such as the peanut oil frequently used for stir-frying, the shellfish extracts used for flavoring, or herbs like cilantro. As far as I am aware, there is currently no scientific data that would elevate this hypothesis to theory.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I dated a girl who suffered chronic asthma attacks. As her asthma worsened over the years her doctors determined that one of her asthma triggers (out of several) was MSG. I distinctly recall us going for Chinese one night and during the movie we caught afterwards she suffered a serious asthma attack and we left the movie early so that I could get her home for her breathing treatment.

Of the headaches she reported to me, and that we both 'suffered' from Wink, I don't recall any of them being MSG related.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have significant problems with MSG. Mostly it puts me into a high stress state. An example: I eat dinner out three days in a row at a restaurant that unknown to me used MSG. The MSG built up in my system and put me into a fairly extreme fight or flight mode while sleeping. Besides nightmares all night, I clenched and ground my molars with extreme force.

I broke one molar and ended up needing a root canal and crown, all because I ate at a restaurant that used MSG. I eat a clean diet, eat very little junk food. Persons eating a clean diet appear to have a low level of enzymes that break down MSG and other chemicals, so symptoms are greater and last longer than a person who eats junk food.

However I have been sensitive to MSG since a teenager, it has always caused problems. I do experience headaches with MSG, but only due to the associated extreme clenching.

-c1steve

Posts: 4060 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Headaches, nausea, disorientation if I get enough of it - whether I know its present in the food or not. I believe the scientists can't find what they say they can't find, but I know from experience how it affects me.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, mildly, that and an overall feeling of being "hung over" if I have eaten, what I would refer to as, an "MSG bomb". I have made an effort to not eat any or a limited amount of MSG (mainly by cooking at home with fresh products) over the years, so when I do splurge and eat heavily processed foods I can feel it later that evening or the next morning.

But I do understand this could be a "correlation vs causation" issue, more processed foods have more MSG along with other shitty stuff in it, so it could be I am feeling the effects of just eating shitty food, that happens to always have MSG in it.

Although, think of it this way, MSG is a chemical and the FDA gives it a "Generally recognized as safe" rating. That should give you a warm feeling inside.....

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
No, never had headaches directly related to MSG, but it would be hard to pinpoint since MSG is used in a boatload of foods at the grocery store. I have a small container of Accent in the cabinet, and I use it sometimes in certain stews. I was amused back in the 80s when the anti-MSG fad was in full gear. Idiots actually thought it was a form of poison.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Although, think of it this way, MSG is a chemical and the FDA gives it a "Generally recognized as safe" rating. That should give you a warm feeling inside.....

MSG is a type of salt. It's naturally occurring amino acid, technically glutamic acid. The synthetic, man-made version has the same molecular structure as the natural type which which you would find in aged cheese, tomatoes, grapes, aged meat, mushrooms and other foods.

While restaurants can be accused of using too much MSG, what most people are reacting to is other ingredients that result in a reaction. The next question is, do claimants react when eating Doritos, Funions or, Ruffles, as they use HUGE amounts of MSG.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I guess not, because I eat the hell outta chips almost every day, and I feel fine.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
No issues with MSG here.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People will cling to whatever beliefs they want to hold. MSG is bad, gluten is bad, fat is bad, carbs are bad, roundup causes or does not cause cancer, and worst of all is that mobile homes and high rise condos attract natural disasters. Whether MSG is bad or not does not matter a lick, you will never in a million years convince a MSG hater that it is not bad. Not worth the time to even consider it.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Headaches, yes. The runs, always, about 1 hour after I've eaten food with it in it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is no evidence that MSG causes any health problems.

The original source of the belief wasn't even science - it was a surmise, a theory that MSG MAY be a problem proposed in a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine. That line was picked up by popular journalists and took on a life of its own. They reported it as a fact, not a question.

The whole story of that letter is even more funny, as another scientist later claimed he wrote the letter as a prank, but what is actually true is that the claim that the letter was a prank was the prank.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/668/transcript

But what is absolutely true is that the original source of the rumor didn't even claim that MSG was, in fact harmful. And the research that the misquoting of that letter speculating that MSG may be harmful spawned has shown it is not dangerous and that it causes no symptoms.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Other than making it impossible for me to sleep, it doesn't affect me in any other way.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10707 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Nope.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Tummy aches. Mostly from eating too much Chinese food the one or two times a year I get it. I have not noticed any headaches.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There is no evidence that MSG causes any health problems.

The original source of the belief wasn't even science - it was a surmise, a theory that MSG MAY be a problem proposed in a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine.<snip>

Interesting post jhe.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
No issues I can say are a direct result of MSG, but I do find many times when I eat "Chinese" food I feel less than stellar after. Could be other ingredients that don't agree with me or maybe I eat too much which I find easy to do with that cuisine. Given the choice, I'd opt for no MSG and I'd never add it to anything prepared at home.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at an IHOP one morning, came to work an hour later and got in an argument with the building's owner. We are both very easy going, and a couple of hours later I realized that the sausages or other food probably had MSG or other neurotoxin, which put me in a high state of fight or flight. After I eat food that has MSG/similar neurotoxin, I do not notice the effect until I start coming down from the "high". I then realize what I had been going through the last few hours.

-c1steve

Posts: 4060 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post