Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Member |
My Father and I are headed to Kalispell and Bozeman next week to spend a little time at Glacier NP and Yellowstone. We've got our days pretty well planned out, but I would love to get some recommendations for places to eat dinner in Kalispell and Bozeman. As for as the parks go, we've got a couple tours setup in Glacier and I plan on driving Going to the Sun rd and stopping a lot. Are there any easy to hike to must sees in Glacier? I need to keep hikes short and relatively easy to moderate for my dad who's 79. For Yellowstone, we've got a fishing trip setup and just plan on driving mostly. ____________________ I Like Guns and stuff | ||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
Moose's Saloon. Some of the best pizza you'll ever have. Get the supreme without olives and thank me later. Bozeman? I spent too many years there in school but that was a long time ago and it has changed (grown) so much so fast that I don't know what to recommend anymore. The only place maybe would be the Bacchus Pub on Main St.. Really good food and great soups. It was a good place for us to go as poor college students as they had all you can eat soup and bread back then for dirt cheap (not so cheap anymore). Grab yerself some MSU gear while you're there. Go Cats! Reigning national champions. If your dad is up for it, the Avalanche Lake trail (Glacier) is about five miles round trip and not too strenuous. It's pretty popular. Hope all the smoke doesn't ruin your trip. Welcome to August in western MT these days.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer, ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| Member |
Checkout Glacier Going to the Sun road west to east and then exit the park and drive to Many Glacier where you'll find a couple easy hiking trials as well as a cool boat ride. https://wereintherockies.com/one-day-many-glacier/ Driving to Glacier from Bozeman there's another good boat ride that's worth taking called gates of the Mountains just north of Helena, MT. https://gatesofthemountains.com/ For Yellowstone the best POI's in my opinion is Yellowstone Falls and Grand Canyon, Grand Prismatic Spring is popular and gets congested quickly with tourists. Lamar Valley is where most of the Bison hangout, Mammoth Springs has cool formations, Old Faithful is OK but if you miss you haven't really missed much. Drive outside the park towards Cooke City and take Hwy 212 to Beartooth Pass make a Uturn and take Hwy 296 to Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. If you have time drive south, exit the south gate and checkout Grand Tetons natl Park. I'd recommend 3-4 days to see everything at Yellowstone so you're not rushing and probably two days for Glacier. A day to drive GTTS road and a day to checkout Many Glacier. If you're not in a rush and want to take a scenic drive from Bozeman to Glacier take 89N to Hwy 12, take Hwy 12 to Hwy 287, take I15 to Exit 200 E Lincoln Rd Hwy 453 west. Stay on Hwy 279 until you get to Hwy 200 and make a left towards Lincoln, continue on Hwy 200 and make a right on Hwy 83. Hwy 83 will take you to Hwy 35 to Hwy 2 to Glacier. The other more boring route is I90 to Hwy 93 but of course quicker. | |||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
^^^^ The Swan highway (83) is one of the prettiest drives in the country. ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| Help! Help! I'm being repressed! ![]() |
Bring your passport and if you can swing it time wise take a day trip up to Waterton Lakes. It's the Canadian side of Glacier and it is spectacularly beautiful. Have a wiener at Wieners of Waterton. There is a boat tour that takes you down the lake to the US side at Goat Haunt, MT. You can then take the boat back or in the past I've walked the 8 miles back up the lake. If you do this get some bear spray before you leave Waterton. | |||
|
| Character, above all else |
A second vote for Moose's Saloon. A pitcher of Moose Drool pairs well with the pizza, and if the trumpet still hangs over the bar, don't blow it! "The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy." | |||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
But you got a free pitcher if you did! Always fun to mess with the tourists. ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| Member |
Skip Bozeman and come to Livingston! | |||
|
| Ammoholic |
Dinner in Bozo - Casual, Montana Ale Works. Ted’s Montana Grill is a little fancier, but still low key. Never made it to J.W. Heist, but enjoyed their sister shop next door, Plonk. Urban Kitchen was quite nice as well. For Breakfast, Jam! On Main is tough to beat. The huckleberry jam is worth the upcharge. The key tip though is to call and put your name on the list before heading down. Wild Joe’s, across main and a door or two down from Jam! Is a great coffee shop, defined as one that makes not only good espresso drinks, but also good coffee. | |||
|
| Honor and Integrity |
The Back Room in Columbia Falls has great fried chicken and BBQ ribs. | |||
|
| Member |
Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming. We are headed out there on Sunday. I won't have enough time to do everything I want, but I'm looking forward to this trip and to spend some quality time with my Dad. It will be the most continous time I've spent with him since I left for college. ____________________ I Like Guns and stuff | |||
|
| Member |
The trumpet is gone. Some asshat threatened to sue after he made an ass of himself. We lived in Kalispell for 20 years. Legend has it that there is 2 kinds of weather there - Bad weather and Tourists. We just visited and the smoke from Canada is intense. Mike I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown ................................... When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham | |||
|
| Member |
| |||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
^^^^^^^ Great suggestion. I haven't been there in better than 20 years, but they used to have fantastic food. Went there alot back then and always enjoyed it. A little higher end than bar pizza. Depends on what the OP is looking for I suppose. ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
Member![]() |
Drop down to Bigfork and have dinner at Schafers at the Eagle Bend Golf Course Clubhouse. Plenty of good places to eat in Whitefish too. | |||
|
| Member |
In Whitefish…. Tupelo Grill Bulldog for a burger I was in Missoula this past weekend and it’s definitely smoky currently. Couldn’t see the top of Mt Jumbo or Sentinel ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever | |||
|
| Member |
We went straight from the airport to Moose’s Saloon. Got the supreme..yum. The atmosphere was fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion ____________________ I Like Guns and stuff | |||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
Good to hear. I’ve never known them to disappoint. Enjoy the rest of your trip. The smoke seems to have cleared out for now so it should be good. ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| I'd rather have luck than skill any day |
Where the deer are practically tame. | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

