SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    lawsuits against bars/ bartenders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lawsuits against bars/ bartenders Login/Join 
posted
Do the people suing ever win?

you know, when some drunk s.o.b. gets filled up to the gills, then drives over a half dozen kindergarten kids .

and someone decides that it is the bars / bartenders fault .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they win, but I know that it happens regularly.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
IANAL

There is this little thing called the Dram Shop Law/Rule in some 38 states which can make an establishment liable.

Generally there are a lot of variables that make it rather hard to make charges stick, and it's usually a personal injury lawsuit vs a criminal charge.

I have some friends that own bars, and they are meticulous when it comes to "documenting and mitigating" people that they think pose a problem. They regularly offer cab rides and are pretty damn careful to make a note when someone refuses one... I don't believe they have ever lost in court.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Is this any different than a gun or ammo manufacturer being held liable for someone misusing one of their products?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Is this any different than a gun or ammo manufacturer being held liable for someone misusing one of their products?
I would say yes, it's a service vs a product kind of, but I'm sure an actual lawyer will be along shortly. Wink

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Lawyers figured out that most idiots who get DUI's don't have any money so if the bar/booze mfg who do have money can be held liable then theyz can gets PAYD!!

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Lawyers figured out that most idiots who get DUI's don't have any money so if the bar/booze mfg who do have money can be held liable then theyz can gets PAYD!!
While that may be true, I haven't seen it happen very often, at least around here.

NRA Benefactor

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
suites? with bars?
Sweet! Big Grin

In Missouri....
Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 537

Sale of alcoholic beverage may be proximate cause of personal injuries or death--requirements--(dram shop law).

537.053. 1. Since the repeal of the Missouri Dram Shop Act in 1934 (Laws of 1933-34, extra session, page 77), it has been and continues to be the policy of this state to follow the common law of England, as declared in section 1.010, to prohibit dram shop liability and to follow the common law rule that furnishing alcoholic beverages is not the proximate cause of injuries inflicted by intoxicated persons.

2. Notwithstanding subsection 1 of this section, a cause of action may be brought by or on behalf of any person who has suffered personal injury or death against any person licensed to sell intoxicating liquor by the drink for consumption on the premises when it is proven by clear and convincing evidence that the seller knew or should have known that intoxicating liquor was served to a person under the age of twenty-one years or knowingly served intoxicating liquor to a visibly intoxicated person.

3. For purposes of this section, a person is "visibly intoxicated" when inebriated to such an extent that the impairment is shown by significantly uncoordinated physical action or significant physical dysfunction. A person's blood alcohol content does not constitute prima facie evidence to establish that a person is visibly intoxicated within the meaning of this section, but may be admissible as relevant evidence of the person's intoxication.

4. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to provide a right of recovery to a person who suffers injury or death proximately caused by the person's voluntary intoxication unless the person is under the age of twenty-one years. No person over the age of twenty-one years or their dependents, personal representative, and heirs may assert a claim for damages for personal injury or death against a seller of intoxicating liquor by the drink for consumption on the premises arising out of the person's voluntary intoxication.

5. In an action brought pursuant to subsection 2 of this section alleging the sale of intoxicating liquor by the drink for consumption on the premises to a person under the age of twenty-one years, proof that the seller or the seller's agent or employee demanded and was shown a driver's license or official state or federal personal identification card, appearing to be genuine and showing that the minor was at least twenty-one years of age, shall be relevant in determining the relative fault of the seller or seller's agent or employee in the action.

6. No employer may discharge his or her employee for refusing service to a visibly intoxicated person.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatu...tml/53700000531.HTML

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's about as clear as mud.

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Smile

Don't sell liquor to anyone under the age of twenty-one years or to anyone visibly intoxicated.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no one has heard of winning a case in court?
I wonder if anyone even settles ? out of court

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, they win sometimes. Sometimes they loose.

They settle more often. Because in ALL cases, settlement is far more common than trials. Like 95% settle. And it is the insurer driving the settlement/trial decision. Insurers are conservative. They like certainty.

I've been involved in one dram shop case.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post