SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shopping for an Elliptical - looking at Precor EFX line
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shopping for an Elliptical - looking at Precor EFX line Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Does anyone have one of these? Thanks all.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I don’t know which exact model we have… It’s just one under what would go into a commercial gym… But Precor makes the best ellipticals IMO.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Slightly tongue in cheek, but wouldn't an actual clothes rack take up less space and be cheaper?

That said, why an elliptical over something like a rower? A rower of equivalent quality is typically easier to store, is equally easy on the joints, provides better cardio and better calorie burn, and provides more loading on skeleton and muscles.

There's a little more technique to learn, but that's not a bad thing--strength and coordination improves with complex movements. And the proper grip, pull with your chest arms and back, and push with your legs, probably provides better functional strength in day to day life. Getting up from the ground, lifting things from the ground, etc.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^ Dr’s orders. I had a spinal fusion, surgeon said elliptical would be ideal. I use to run, seems closest to an elliptical.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
^^^ Dr’s orders. I had a spinal fusion, surgeon said elliptical would be ideal. I use to run, seems closest to an elliptical.

Well then, nevermind me Smile

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
make sure it will hold laundry really well and has a place for hangers, most of them get used for a month then turn into a place to hang clothes.

Posts: 5596 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I wonder if ellipticals are more often repurposed to clothes racks than other cardio equipment?

Anyway: Sorry, Jeff, I can't help you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the professional ones that I bought off craigslist for $300 about 5 years ago. It has been working great. What do you need to know. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to run all the time until I hurt my back and destroyed my SI joint
Throw in the complications from the hernia mesh, and it is a miserable time.

I have found that regular elliptical makes it worse plus the range of motion kills my shin splints.

I love the Precor- AMT..
It combines an elliptical with the stair machine. I think it has a better and more natural range of motion (similar to running/walking)

The Adaptive Motion Trainer® (AMT®) offers multiple full-body cardio workout options in one machine: walking, running, stepping, climbing.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

posted Hide Post
I started using an Elliptical due to Plantar Fasciitis. The action on the pedals acts to massage the soles of the feet and it really eases this painful condition. Still do speed walk at least a mile every day but 45 minutes on Elliptical is what makes that possible.

Brands. I started on a Live Fitness Clubman and IMO it's still the finest. We also have Matrix Elliptical's at my gym and they don't see much use because the motion seems to be designed for someone 7 feet tall and is uncomfortable for someone of average height. Another odd feature of the Matrix is that the moving handles go up and down, a hand motion I've never see by anyone walking or jogging, but is employed by Sprinters. I've also tried some "elliptical cross trainer" at a YMCA near my nephew and did not enjoy the time on the machine, another case or a stride motion that was uncomfortable. In this case it was likely just using new muscles and more time on the machine would have made it comfortable.

My advice is simple, you really do need to spend some real time on the machine you are considering purchasing. BTW, by "some time" I mean at least 45 minutes riding the machine and doing in on multiple occasions is much more informative than a one time tryout. IMO one of hte reason why any fitness equipment ends up as a clothes hanger is because that machine just does not Fit the user.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Great advice, thank you.

posted Hide Post
If possible - you should try the models you are interested in before you buy one. I travel a lot and use the elipticals in the hotel gyms. They vary in the stride length and sometimes it's a bit unnatural to use them.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
My advice is simple, you really do need to spend some real time on the machine you are considering purchasing.
That's very good advice!

There have been elliptical machines I've tried at the gym that were quite uncomfortable for me to use. I don't have, and never have had, trouble with my hips, but one, in particular, really bothered my hips when I tried to use it. Others, the motion just felt all wrong.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
When you test drive pay attention to the stride length. Make sure it's either comfortable or adjustable. I have an Octane Fitness elliptical and the adjustable stride has been great with two of us using it. Increasing the stride length with an increase in speed feels more natural as well.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I use a Precor 631 commercial treadmill. It's my second commercial Precor treadmill (sold one when I moved a number of years ago). You can't go wrong with their equipment.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I put a refurbished Precor elliptical in my home gym, because that as the brand and model I most liked at the commercial gym I went to pre-Covid shutdowns.

I have minor knee issues and the motion of the Precors are the least stressful on those joints.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff - As a person who has stepped onto an elliptical everyday for the past 9 years, except when I was sick or most recently hen I had spine surgery, and having gone through three units (third one is on its last leg) follow the recommendations from the other forum members and your research - Go with a Precor unit. My current unit is a SOLE and even though it received decent reviews it has not been a reliable unit and when I needed a replacement cable (that controls the resistance level on the machine) after six unanswered emails over a one month period and three phone calls with no results, I emailed the company president. The next day the cable was in route to me.
When I buy my next one (may have to wait until next year because of medical bills) I will buy a Precor….Period

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post