SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boxing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boxing? Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted
Do we have any boxers here? is it good for fitness?

Posts: 8179 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I used to box. In the Seventies. Welterweight. It is an excellent cardio workout and a way to keep your reflexes sharp. And you can hit people without getting in trouble.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
It depends upon how serious you get involved. If you are a serious competitor, the diet is very protein intense. Meat! If prolonged intake of meat, you might develop gout after a while.

But if you are not serious, it is a waste of time.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Many think boxers are among the most fit athletes there are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I used to wrestle in High School.
My Girlfriend was into Olympic style Boxing.
As our dating progressed I tried to introduce her to wrestling with me.
She couldn't wrestle worth a damm, but boy you should have seen her box!

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect a lot of guys have.

Posts: 6766 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
I suspect a lot of guys have.

Eek Big Grin

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother used to box and always claimed it was a good workout routine.
He sparred with Rufus Brassell, but never actually boxed professionally like Rufus.
You just could not meet a nice guy than Rufus, God rest his soul and my brothers.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
It's an excellent workout. Lots of folks think they can do it so they try in events like "Toughman" and find out very quickly how good of shape someone must be in to box. I'm not a boxer, if you saw my nose you'd understand, but I work as a ringside physician occasionally and sparred a little in the past.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1900 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It's not the boxing. It's the training.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure. Boxing, Muay Thai, kick boxing.

I think boxing workouts are awesome for fitness even if you have no intention to actually fight or want to spar.

Skipping rope, hitting pads, rounds on the bag. All are great ways to get in shape.

Honestly you could hang a heavy bag and get a junprope and a timer and do your own sort of stuff. Like go run for 30 minutes, get back and skip rope for 20 minutes, do some push-ups, donkike 5 rounds of shadow boxing and then 5 rounds on your bag and finish with some ab work.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:
It's an excellent workout. Lots of folks think they can do it so they try in events like "Toughman" and find out very quickly how good of shape someone must be in to box. I'm not a boxer, if you saw my nose you'd understand, but I work as a ringside physician occasionally and sparred a little in the past.

This is very true. I've always though those toughman events were more dangerous than real boxing matches....out of shape guys gassing out and lowering their guard and just getting blasted on the head repeatedly. 16oz gloves and headgear help but you can still take quite a bit of trauma to the head even with that stuff.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Many think boxers are among the most fit athletes there are.

Spenser certainly thinks so Smile If fitness == endurance, then yes, they probably are.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
It's not the boxing. It's the training.
+1

I boxed in my younger days, and an amateur fight was an intense 8 minutes (three 2 minute rounds, with a minute between rounds) of hell mixed with fun & excitement, but you don't do that 4 to 5 times a week. You train, which includes a variety of different workouts, including some sparring.

It's the training, not the actual fights, that makes someone "fit."

You could get just as fit without ever going through the occasional 8 minutes of hell/fun/excitement.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ESPN did a study about 10-years ago, it was all about finding out which sport produced the ultimate athlete. American boxing was ranked tops amongst 60 sports. If anything, you'll learn about endurance and the training will provide you with a good foundation.
Story
http://www.espn.com/espn/page2...ry?page=degree/index

Rankings
http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up boxing with a dad who was a boxer, thenonly trainingni find harder is mountaineering.

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I boxed as a kid growing up in TX. Loved it! Started at the Boys Club in 5th or 6th grade. Fought Golden Gloves through high school....nothing serious, all sports division the first two years, and novice the last two. I still incorporate elements of boxing workouts (rounds on the heavy bag, jumping rope, shadow boxing, speed bag and if I'm really feeling "it" I'll go a few rounds with a partner sparring). It's still fun, and it's still a great way to stay in shape. I prefer this type of cardio workout (or swimming) to any other, but most of what I do for fitness these days is lift heavy.

Posts: 1767 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Very interesting study there. Thanks everyone.

Posts: 8179 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Fighting or simply sparring in most forms is an excellent workout. Even just a couple of minutes can wear you out sometimes.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Boxing = many punches to your face. Big Grin
If you're doing it for the fitness why not just do BJJ (Brazilian Ju-Jujitsu) wrestling?

Posts: 591 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post