SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EV battery fires... Hold my beer Ford Pinto
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV battery fires... Hold my beer Ford Pinto Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
It will be a long time before EVs are useful for anything other than being a novelty

To compete with the internal combustion engine it will need a 480 mile range and a 100% charge in under 5 minutes.

Right now they’re useful in identifying people with little common sense of a grounding in science.

May they all burst into flames.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
To compete with the internal combustion engine it will need a 480 mile range and a 100% charge in under 5 minutes.

While I'm all for ICE the data shows that most daily drives for people are well under the 480 mark. The average daily commute is 16 miles one way, 32 miles round trip, of course there are many who are at 100 and most at under a mile.

Average US Commute

So for day to day driving, 100 mile range is probably more than sufficient.

Yes there are areas where it's going to be longer, but there is a large part of the country, and world where long range driving isn't just unnecessary, it's not done much, especially since COVID and people are working at home.

Yes a diesel Mercedes can go 500 miles on a tank, but how many times do people need to do that in a single trip. True, there are always people travelling on interstates, but the majority are on local streets, going to and from work or the store and under 20 miles.

An EV for daily use would make a lot of sense, and just rent a big ICE powered car when you need one...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
It will be a long time before EVs are useful for anything other than being a novelty

Right now they’re useful in identifying people with little common sense of a grounding in science.

May they all burst into flames.

19,000 miles on my novelty right now and couldn't be happier. Our 2019 Chevy Bolt is the best suburban commuter car we've ever had. And now that we're all working from home due to covid madness, it's our primary vehicle.

ETA - it's not on the recall list, but thanks for your concern.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one car fire - rental Dodge Challenger that was later subject to a recall due to a wiring error in manufacture. Great excitement pulling up to the Arizona Biltmore then realizing the car was on fire and wouldn't move.

I recognize there is some risk with EVs, some of the Tesla fire videos are impressive. However, there also are risks in ICEs.

At this stage, I see EVs as luxury or enthusiast (EV enthusiasts and performance enthusiasts) vehicles. I have a pre-order in place for a Rivian - 0 - 60 in 3 seconds, 300+ mile range.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I never realized until now that those stupid Tesla Model S things use hundreds of little AA (or similar) sized batteries. Hell, my old RC car was the same design, just fewer A cells Smile

quote:

Tesla Model 3 crash at 100 mph sends burning battery cells flying into homes
the punctured battery pack scattered cylindrical cells like confetti as the car ricocheted off of the various obstacles in its path.

It sounds like none of the nearby residents showered by cells were seriously injured.

Photos taken after the crash show that the entire passenger side of the 3 was ripped off. The driver survived, miraculously. He fled on foot, was caught three blocks away, and was taken to a nearby hospital with minor injuries. After testing positive for cannabis, he was charged with a DUI, a hit-and-run, reckless driving, reckless endangering, and criminal mischief. The story didn't end when the wreck was hauled to the scrap yard, though.

Police officers spent nearly three hours cleaning up the scene of the accidents and picking up stray battery cells, according to The Drive, and they don't think they've found them all. Folks who live in the area are being warned that the battery cells can stay hot to the touch for up to 24 hours, can cause burns if handled without protection, can release toxic fumes, and can leak harmful substances. Police say residents who find a cell should report it to the Corvallis Regional Communication Center so it can be safely collected and disposed of.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/...eries/#slide-2279194

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post