SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for an all-in-one or a flatbed scanner?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for an all-in-one or a flatbed scanner? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Epson V600 would be the perfect scanner for me. If only it had Wi-Fi connectivity. Frown

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, no wireless. Kinda surprised me, but not a deal killer. Just walk the laptop over to it while the thing is taking its sweet time scanning. Alternately, I have an older Win7 latop I could leave setup by it and transfer files from it via a USB thumb drive.

You'd think that with such a feature-laden unit, they'd have it set up for wireless. Maybe they just ran out of room in the case.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A couple thoughts, slow scans may seem like nothing when you get to post-processing. A quality scan can be huge and working with it can be time consuming. I'll guess you're wanting to maximize good images and want good scans.

With that in mind, Winter is the time to do this stuff, even in Georgia, no? Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know when they say slow, they don't mean 90 seconds. Put the document or the slide or negative of photo on the glass, close the lid, start the scan, and come back in a while. How long's a while? A while is a bit. A bit? You know, a bit later.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My HP Laserjet 8650 is a fine 3-in-1.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My bank will do the occasional scan-to-pdf for me. Their scanner is set at the lowest resolution, so my copy zips through. But the quality is about that of a charcoal sketch.

My last experience with scanners, in a desktop publishing course 20 years ago, had a 600dpi scan of an 8.5" x 11" image taking 5+ minutes. At this point, it is easier to take a cellphone photograph and convert it to a pdf, but the file image tends to be huge that way. I have not figured out how to change the data to monochrome.

When I hit the lottery, I'll hire a personal assistant with size 9.5 feet so they can both break in my English loafers and scan in dad's huge collection of 35mm slides.

Dad's piles of carousel slides brings to mind that perfect scene in Mad Men when the Kodak sales pitch was given.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I have an Epson WF-7520 (I think the newer model is the WF-7620).

I can print up to 13 x 19 inch pages. Scanner warms up quite quickly, doesn't eat a ton of ink.

This can connect wirelessly (how I have it connected) or by a USB cable (not included in the box).

Print quality is great for documents and photos.
Has a document feeder, and will scan double sided pages.

Posts: 3567 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, no wireless. Kinda surprised me, but not a deal killer. Just walk the laptop over to it while the thing is taking its sweet time scanning. Alternately, I have an older Win7 latop I could leave setup by it and transfer files from it via a USB thumb drive.

You'd think that with such a feature-laden unit, they'd have it set up for wireless. Maybe they just ran out of room in the case.

The purpose of these inexpensive USB->Wi-Fi dongles appears to be to provide Wi-Fi capability for PCs that don’t have it built-in:

www.amazon.com/dp/B008IFXQFU/r..._api_i_AGldEbJ3BZNTC

www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5PRK7J/r..._api_i_3JldEb0EQWVSS

But I wonder if one of them could be plugged into the USB port of the Epson V600 to provide it with a Wi-Fi link, via a router, to a Wi-Fi equipped PC. This link suggests that might be possible:

www.epson.co.uk/viewcon/corpor...nunits/faq/8038/3597

BTW – Is the V600 port USB 2 or USB-C?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nice, but according to the Epson manual for the V600 which I downloaded, this device does not use a USB A-type connector. It uses a USB B-type connector.

That article you linked to is somewhat confusing. It suggests that the V600 does have wireless capability, but I'm not finding this in the manual.

"Epson Scan can be used to scan via a USB connection or using a wired or wireless (Wi-Fi) network connection.

By default Epson Scan is set to scan via a USB cable, and will present an error if Epson Scan is opened and a scanner is connected via a network or Wi-Fi connection.

The following article explains how to change the settings in Epson Scan to allow scanning via a network or Wi-Fi connection."

Err... Confused It's certainly worth a try when I get the scanner but something's not right somewhere in the documentation. If this device does have wireless functionality, Epson certainly has done a superb job of hiding it.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
We have a very low ball Epson XP300 Wi-Fi printer/scanner. It does a surprisingly good job, even using aftermarket ink cartridges. We had a decent dedicated scanner back in Win7 days, it's results were only marginally better than the XP300.

However, Wi-Fi with the PC is so hit or miss, I just use the USB cable from the getgo. Both our Samsung tablets work with Wi-Fi every time. Eek

The menu on your incoming scanner should be at least as useful as any alleged documentation.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the 600 is at least as good as the 500 then you'll be a very happy photo scanner.

Picked up the 500 to scan my 35mm collection, a lot of negatives dating back to '75. Also scanned in photos where the negatives were missing or in a bad way. The 500 scans photos very nicely.

Luckily my 13 year old Dell laptop still runs. Tried to get updated SW / drives for the newer mac and windows 10 and no go in recognizing the scanner USB connection. Bummer.

Just scanned a 57 1/2 year old Photo of me at about 6 months of age with my father when he was 21 1/2. Never realized how much my brother looked like him, when I enlarged the photo.

Yes, it is slow - so what? The grim reaper is not that near yet.

WI-FI is overrated. This from one deeply in to a wireless hobby, that has more wires than you'd imagine.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1690 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Para, you must have your Epson V600 by now. How is it working out?

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Also, is the Epson V600’s USB jack USB-C?

Serious about crackers

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nice, but according to the Epson manual for the V600 which I downloaded, this device does not use a USB A-type connector. It uses a USB B-type connector.

That article you linked to is somewhat confusing. It suggests that the V600 does have wireless capability, but I'm not finding this in the manual.

"Epson Scan can be used to scan via a USB connection or using a wired or wireless (Wi-Fi) network connection.

By default Epson Scan is set to scan via a USB cable, and will present an error if Epson Scan is opened and a scanner is connected via a network or Wi-Fi connection.

The following article explains how to change the settings in Epson Scan to allow scanning via a network or Wi-Fi connection."

Err... Confused It's certainly worth a try when I get the scanner but something's not right somewhere in the documentation. If this device does have wireless functionality, Epson certainly has done a superb job of hiding it.

The V600 is not networkable.

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_B11B...at=faq-8796127602764

A good quality scanner but would be a deal breaker for me.
It appears to scan very well from tech reviews I have seen.

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post