SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Releasing helium balloons in cold weather (HELP!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Releasing helium balloons in cold weather (HELP!) Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Recently there was a 13y/o boy who passed away unexpectedly. He didn’t play soccer, but many of the kids on the team I coach knew him, including my son. Another player was his best friend.

Our first game is this Sunday, and it is the first time ever we are playing at our high school stadium.

We are doing a memorial in his honor before our game and releasing balloons. It will be be 40 degrees. We did a trial run today, using a tank that was air temp, and it worked. It was around 38 degrees. Balloon was filled, then released about a half hour later, and went out of sight.

We plan on filling the balloons outside, shortly before the memorial starts.

Any other factors to consider? Obviously, it will be a disaster if it doesn’t work.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I am assuming you are using helium to fill the balloons, correct?

Helium ballons will work (float away) unless the temperature is being measured in Kelvin...in that case no one would be outside anyway!

Go for it. Bless you for the effort.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Yes, we are using helium.

Luckily the Mom in charge bought a tank, versus buying pre-filled balloons from a store. Keeping the temp constant put my mind at ease.

We will do a test run at the stadium before the memorial as well.

Fingers crossed...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I would think that a heads up phone call to the local air traffic control station might be appreciated. They can notem the event and steer traffic clear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"99 Red Balloons"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Any other factors to consider? Obviously, it will be a disaster if it doesn’t work.

Whether or not it's legal or is otherwise regulated?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish that there were other acceptable ways to accomplish what you wish besides sending up balloons, I am tired of finding them even in the deepest woods here in Maine.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Garbage that somebody else has to pick-up.
quote:
Originally posted by provident:
I wish that there were other acceptable ways to accomplish what you wish besides sending up balloons, I am tired of finding them even in the deepest woods here in Maine.

I'm with you. Every park around here in the Summer, there's usually a handful of balloons caught up in the trees or, a couple of branches with deflated balloons dangling around.

Perhaps, buying some doves or, butterflies and have a couple of the closest kids release them at the right time. Just trying to provide some alternatives, realize you're trying to put together a nice ceremony and a remembrance for the kids. 13 y/o, that's tough... Frown

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mean they don’t go into outer space?

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Garbage that somebody else has to pick-up.
quote:

I'm with you. Every park around here in the Summer, there's usually a handful of balloons caught up in the trees or, a couple of branches with deflated balloons dangling around.

Perhaps, buying some doves or, butterflies and have a couple of the closest kids release them at the right time. Just trying to provide some alternatives, realize you're trying to put together a nice ceremony and a remembrance for the kids. 13 y/o, that's tough... Frown

What about those Japanese lanterns? Are they biodegradable? Our downtown released a bunch and I didn't hear any negatives, that I'm aware.

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I find them in the woods, in my hayfields and out in the Ocean. Sea turtles choke to death on them.

Some people are pigs.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how bad can it be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6mbMxRLjcY

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post