SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunday Dinner with Beancooker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunday Dinner with Beancooker Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
Okay, I’m going out in a limb here. I cook a lot. I have spent a few years in my more youthful days working in some pretty amazing restaurants. I have been a personal chef for a doctor, and constantly get ideas and inspiration from a best friend who is an ex chef, and director of culinary whatever for a state college.
I figure it would be fun to do a Sunday dinner recipe with everyone.

This evening’s recipe:
Espelette Pork Tenderloins
Piperade

If Espelette powder isn’t readily available, you can use paprika. Preferably a smoked sweet paprika. But Espelette has a very unique flavor that is unlike any other chili powder.

Pork
A few pork steaks
2 tbsp Espelette powder/flake
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (sea, not Morton fine) if using Morton fine, 1/2 tsp.
2 tbsp dried oregano
20 or so fresh sage leaves
4 garlic cloves finely minced
1.5 tsp thyme
1/4 cup olive oil

So to start off, get a pork tenderloin and slice it into boneless chops. About 3/4” thick. Beat those with a Tenderizing hammer until about 7mm. We all know how thick a 9mm is, so 3/4 if that, roughly.

Heat olive oil in a saucepan until hot, add Espelette, and cumin. Cook on medium heat for 5 min it so. Do not blacken this. It should be red and beautiful.
Cool to room temp. Add garlic, thyme, oregano, sage, and salt. Once well incorporated, put in a glass dish and throw in the pig. Mix and bathe the piglet in the marinade. Once fully covered, refrigerate for 2-5 hours.

Piperade:
2 tsp Espelette
1/16 tsp if fennel pollen (3/4 tsp fennel powder if pollen isn’t available)
1.5 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 eggs
2 green bell peppers
4 tomatoes
1 medium onion
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 stick butter sliced finely

Take four or so Roma tomatoes and cut an x in the bottom.
Bring a pot of whiter to a boil. Drop tomatoes in for 20 or so seconds. Transfer to an ice water bath and peel the skin off.
Take a propane or butane torch and burn the skins on the bell peppers. You’re just burning the skins to peel them. Run under cold water after the whole skin is blackened and blistered.
Skin the tomatoes and peppers. Chop into 3/4” cubes
Throw olive oil in pan, get hot. Add onion and bell peppers. Cook until onions are almost translucent. Add all the other ingredients except the eggs.
Cook for five to ten min over low heat. Should still have texture and not be mush.
Take two eggs and whisk. Add to veggies and stir vigorously. Add butter.

Cooking the pork.
Heat grill to 400 or so degrees.
Cook pork for about 2 min per side. Don’t overcook or it’ll be tough. Once cooked, let rest for 5 min.

I had a Zinfandel with mine, and Mrs. Cooker had a red moscato (yuck).

Serve both and enjoy.

Images aren’t that great. I thought of doing this after we ate. Next week I’ll post images if the food plated and ready to eat.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
This is very inspiring. Looks great.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Impressive. So many great recipes on this forum!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5361 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
How many times I refer to something wonderful from my Gun Guys.

Thanks

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a bean recipe..... but that looks really good, copied to my recipe folder thanks!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looks and sounds delicious, man. Smile

Posts: 17225 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! I love cooking threads!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
looks delicious!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious. I'm always on the lookout for recipes to try.
I may mess it up the 1st time but I'll try any type of cooking, especially with meat.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. . . my invitation must have gotten misdelivered. It looks fantastic and I'm sorry that I missed it!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1965 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I use Piment d'Espelette powder in a pork shoulder rub prior to smoking and pulling. It’s good, but it ain’t cheap.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting. I'm going to give it a whirl.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn’t see many replies this morning, so I didn’t think it was such a great idea to have shared this. I’m happy to see some of you guys were inspired by this!

No bean recipe. The screen name came to be as I was a coffee roaster.

FEV, I can probably get you a pretty great price on this. I work for a company that specializes in spices. Our Espelette is AOC (Appellation d'origine contrôlée).

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Email inbound!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Email inbound!

No email. I even checked the junk folder.

quote:
The “lol” thread