SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pheasant in the Eastern SD area?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pheasant in the Eastern SD area? Login/Join 
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted
I've got an opportunity to drive a company car to Grand Forks. My boss is allowing me to take some supplies and my dog to take advantage of the Pheasant season.

Any members in the area have suggestions for areas to hunt? Or preserves in the area?

Thanks a bunch guys.

ETA:
Thanks for the help. Now thinking about hunting eastern SD, then driving up to Grand Forks for the drop off. Any members in the area have tips?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sock Eating Golden,

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
No help for that area. the south west part of the state is the best hunting. However the winter was not kind and numbers are way down.

But that makes the ones you get that much better Smile

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Hoping to put something together last minute. Not sure If I'll have much luck.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t hunted near GF, but that seems pretty far north for decent pheasant numbers.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We hunt pheasants in SD but I have heard good reports from other hunters about ND in the past. I hear the population of birds is way down in ND this year due to the brutal winter last winter. Check the webcast here:

https://gf.nd.gov/ndo-webcast

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I haven’t hunted near GF, but that seems pretty far north for decent pheasant numbers.

Ya, I was looking at that last night. I may head for eastern SD, then drive the car up to Grand Forks on Friday for the drop off and flight home.

Nick

-Capt. Edward Smith

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lucky dog!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I live in eastern SoDak and I live in the country and from my observations and the game, fish and parks, the pheasant situation doesn't look good. I haven't seen or heard any around my place all summer.

Here is an excerpt from the GF&P August survey:

South Dakota's annual roadside pheasant count dropped from 2016 but the state should still see a million birds bagged in 2017. Always long anticipated and much awaited, South Dakota's annual pheasant brood survey results are in. The data shows a significant decrease in the pheasants-per-mile (PPM) index for 2017.Aug 25, 2017
Update: 2017 South Dakota Pheasant Survey ... - Pheasants Forever
https://www.pheasantsforever.o...asant-Survey-Poses...

I am assuming you will be driving up I-29 so the best areas for you to consider would be roughly, all that area between Brookings SD and the Missouri river and north to the border. I wish I knew some landowners you could call but unfortunately I don't. Most will let you hunt if you stop and ask however. Good luck!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2090 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post