SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter is going to Berry University in January
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter is going to Berry University in January Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
A few months earlier I asked the forum what was known about Berry University. I received some very good replies which helped out a lot.

My daughter wants to be a doctor and in the Fall started school at Stevens University (great engineering college), but she found it just didn't offer as much as she wanted. Stevens has around a 33% acceptance rate into medical school while Berry has 96% acceptance rate.
She flew down to Berry twice, applied and was accepted and given as good of a scholarship as she was given before. Berry is less expensive overall and so it was a no brainer for her to transfer. We visit friends in Rydal Ga. several times a year and she is 30 minutes away from them. Now packing her up over Christmas break and getting her to Berry will be our next chore. I'll most likely take a few days off from school and follow her down with her items for the dorm. She will drive her car and at least be able to go places while there.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
She's going to Rome!!

(Georgia.)

Cool

Hearty congratulations to your daughter, and apologies for my poor joke. (It was a running joke we had with a friend who used to teach at Berry.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
She was in Rome Italy in the summer!

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Congrats. It sure was a positive experience for my parents who attended and fell in love at Berry. My mom has passed but my father attends reunions religiously. Best wishes for her success. By the way, there is a big Airshow every year if you’re looking for something fun to do there.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
An air show would be nice to see. I'm looking forward to getting back and spending time in Georgia.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
She's going to Rome!!

(Georgia.)

Cool

Hearty congratulations to your daughter, and apologies for my poor joke. (It was a running joke we had with a friend who used to teach at Berry.)

No apologies. I thought it was funny. Thanks for the congratulations.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
My granddaughter will be a freshman there next year

Posts: 801 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Berry is a beautiful place. Still the largest college campus in the world, nearly 28,000 acres, I believe.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I got back to Afghanistan I researched their Anthropology and Animal Science program.

I really liked the school, and the area.

As I look back I wished I would have went to a smaller university instead of Ohio State.

At the time it was a good choice, and for the money you could not beat the degrees I got. Plus, they allowed me to return when I had quite a few semesters of being a Dumba**, and lost my scholarship

They used to have a pretty decent baseball team, and their football team is pretty new but holding their own.

What I really liked about the Univ is the student work program guarantees every student a job on campus for those interested in participating.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My wife went there in the late 70's. They used to "lovingly" call it "Barely College" because of its size.

Rome can be a mean town (or it was then). Tell her to be careful.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about Rome, but I'm hoping it isn't as bad as where she is now. She is very close to the shooting in Jersey City this week. She can't go more than a few blocks from school before it gets dangerous.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
Boasting over 27,000 acres in Mount Berry, Georgia's Berry College holds the honor of having the world's most sizable contiguous college grounds. That huge expanse holds a wealth of woodlands, meadows, streams and even deer, whose population may number as much as 2,500. For those keen on outdoor pursuits, it's ideal, offering students the opportunity to cycle, hike or horseback ride across over 80 miles of trails. English Gothic-style buildings give the campus an elegant European air, with some of the structures beautifully reflected in the waters of decorative pools. Equally as impressive are the Mountain Campus' Mirror and Swan lakes, the latter of which sees the birds it's named for glide gracefully across its calm waters. Possum Trot Church accommodated Berry College's predecessor, a school for boys founded in 1902, and the building is still present on the college's campus.

Above copied from the internet. The campus is certainly safer than where she is living at present. She will be fine.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post