SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Private sell of my car, any tips? (Update in OP)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Private sell of my car, any tips? (Update in OP) Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I put my car of FB marketplace. I got a cash offer that I accepted. The guy will be here in a few hours.

I told him the terms were;

Bill of sale
Exchange of DL information on said bill of sale
Cash payment taken at the bank (to verify legitamacy / no counterfeit and get the cash into the bank and out of my hands)
Then I sign the title over to him

He agreed to all of this.

Once that is done I notify the DMV, turn over the tag and cancel the insurance.

Anything I am missing?

Update:

Well, that was interesting. Despite the fact that I cleared 25% more than what Carmax was willing to give me, not sure I would do that again.

The buyer was hot for the car. DM'ing me and then texting me constantly. He was super communicative. Two guys arrive, nice enough. Not American, but not quite hispanic, not exactly sure of their nationality.

They check out the car. Start it. We go for a test drive. He asks questions. He says "I'll take it."

We go to do the paperwork. He texts me a copy of his license so I can write down name, DL #, etc. on the bill of sale and title. It gave me pause, but whatever. I looked at the pic, it was him.

Then he starts in with the objections. Can we not fill out that part? Can we write in a lower amount of the sale so I can save sales tax? Etc, etc.

I calmly and firmly explain that this is how we are doing it. It says on the title that I have to fill out certain sections. We go around and around like to this for a bit, me continuing to hold me ground.

We get to the part where all that is left is to sign the title, which he is now pushing me to do. I say "Not yet, we need to count the money first." He complies, payment is made.

I then sign the title, he hops in the car and takes off. About 30 seconds later my wife says, "Did you grab the tag?"

Crap. I call him three times, goes directly to VM. I text him multiple times, delivered but not read.

I then start going through things in my head, reviewing and checking everything. I realize that his license was fake, the image had been altered.

The payment was legit, so I was having trouble understanding. My wife says they must be illegal and have no intention of registering or titling the car.

Anyway, trip to the DMV this morning to report the tag as stolen. Filled out the paperwork to officially remove me as owner. Insurance is canceled.

I guess I'll never know for certain what the guy was up to. This sure didn't leave a good taste in my mouth for this type of transaction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: holdem,

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Keep the plates. No due bill/warranty given or implied. Good luck. Cool

Posts: 3525 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Plates stay with you in FL, not the car, once the title is signed over with bill of sale and cash exchange you are good.

What are you going to carry to the meet, it's a gun forum you know Big Grin

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Plates stay with you in FL

Yes, I will keep the plates. I think I have to turn them into the DMV since they will not be going onto another car.

HK P30 IWB holster. Smile

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Keep the plates. No due bill/warranty given or implied. Good luck. Cool

This depends on the state. In MD if I cancel my insurance before I turn in my plates I will be fined. The fine will increase the longer I keep my plates. Here after you sell a car you turn in your plates, get a receipt(this is so when the MVA says you never turned them in you can prove it) and then cancel you insurance.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Put "As Is", on the bill of sale.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Plates stay with you in FL, not the car, once the title is signed over with bill of sale and cash exchange you are good.

And Orlando is a strong member base.
Clearly he needs someone in an overwatch position.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9697 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

This depends on the state. In MD if I cancel my insurance before I turn in my plates I will be fined.

Yes, same in FL.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Put "As Is", on the bill of sale.

Yes, done.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
FB Marketplace sale...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heres the state rules:

They suggest you do this at a DMV center, set a time, make an appointment to be faster, and submit the paperwork at the counter. This gets the car out of your name immediately.

Yes you are correct, turn in the plates or it will come up as cancelled insurance on an active plate and you'll get a letter from DMV, fining you for not having insurance. They did this on my dads lease turn in, he got the letter due to coverage being cancelled and not replaced, but it was a lease, letter should never have been sent, a call to DMV fixed it.

Rules Link on Selling a Car in Florida

Extremely Important

Protect Yourself by Filing Form HSMV 82050
Florida law requires sellers to file form HSMV 82050. Filing this form with a motor vehicle service center will remove the seller’s registration from the vehicle and help the seller avoid any civil liability for the operation of the motor vehicle after the sale.

Once filed, it becomes the buyers’s responsibility to apply for the title and registration before he/she can legally operate the motor vehicle. If the buyer fails to do this, and the seller does NOT file form HSMV 82050, the seller can be held liable for actions associated with the motor vehicle, even if they no longer own the vehicle. The form also documents the sale and is the legal receipt. Keep copies of the bill of sale (FLHSMV recommends having it notarized), certificate of title or other type of transaction document showing it was sold.

Link to Form 82050

Removing the Plates

In a sale, license plates stay with seller not the vehicle. When motor vehicles are sold, the seller must remove the license plate from the vehicle and may then transfer the plate to a new or replacement vehicle. The seller must surrender the tag to a motor vehicle service center if:

The seller is moving to another state; or
The seller cancels insurance on the vehicle associated with the plate.

Buyer Requirements

The buyer should complete an application for Certificate of Title/Registration form at the DMV as well, they have 30 days to do this or incur a fine, you want it done now so it's out of your name in case they plow into a bus on the way home, which is why you want to turn in the plates right away.

Link Buyer Application Form

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it's the same in FL, but here in SC, we pay annual property taxes on a vehicle. When we sell a vehicle, and after we turn in the tag to the DMV, we notify our county auditor/treasurer. We can get a pro-rated refund on the property taxes that we previously paid.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with many here, especially having it done at the DMV, as that will get the car out of your name and in their name quickly and assuredly. Some people out there will not do it for a while and that could be trouble for you.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would not do this at my home, I'd do it at some neutral area that is open and lots of people around and you have a friend with you (and you need a ride home)

Maybe this buyer is 100% legit, but maybe they aren't and now you just showed them where you live.

I never let anyone come to my home to buy something from FB Marketplace, always met them nearby in a parking lot of a shopping center.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pawprintsdoc:

I'm not sure if it's the same in FL, but here in SC, we pay annual property taxes on a vehicle. When we sell a vehicle, and after we turn in the tag to the DMV, we notify our county auditor/treasurer. We can get a pro-rated refund on the property taxes that we previously paid.
There is no property tax on vehicles, here in Florida, nor is there any pro-rated refund on registration.

Seller should check with his insurance company for possible pro-rated refund of premium (I pay mine for the full year, when it renews; there is a substantial discount for paying it annually instead of monthly installments).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30714 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your DMV would have downloadable forms for bills of sale, release of liability, etc. And the car is "as is and with all faults."

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was still “on the job” we had a fellow sell a car on some on line market list. The buyer kept calling with “problems” and delays as the appointment time approached and passed. Buyer assured the seller they were still coming, albeit late.
The sale took place at 11 pm. Next morning the seller took the stack of 100’s to the bank. Only one wasn’t counterfeit. I strongly recommend having one the pens cashiers use to check bills and check them all.
The car was recovered 3 years later in CT.

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscars father:

Next morning the seller took the stack of 100’s to the bank. Only one wasn’t counterfeit. I strongly recommend having one the pens cashiers use to check bills and check them all.
In the OP, seller said
quote:
Cash payment taken at the bank (to verify legitamacy / no counterfeit and get the cash into the bank and out of my hands)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30714 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I hope the sale goes smooth for you.

Here's a few things I've done with items/vehicles I've sold from home.

1. Have the item out front and ready to be inspected...like in front of your doorbell cam if possible. If not, strategic placement of your wife's phone will work just as well. Wink

2. Have them come to the door and ring/knock. This accomplishes three things. A: The buyer can see the item without you standing over their shoulder. Subconsciously lets the buyer know you are confident in your item and the truthfulness of your description/imparts trust. B: Subconsciously tells the buyer you aren't overly eager - jumping up and down waving when they pull in the drive - meaning you're probably willing to take less. C: Openly (In the case of a camera doorbell) lets the n'er do wells know you have a camera and it's on.

3. Make double sure - in the case of a vehicle - the title is ready to go and has any necessary paperwork with it, and have a pen to sign whatever you'd need to sign. If you have to turn around and go back in the house to get a pen real quick, you just turned your back and opened your door, not a super defensible position. Wink

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understood what the OP wrote, however, there appeared to be a change in plan if going to the DMV to transfer.
They asked for advice

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post