Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Just because you can, doesn't mean you should |
That's my question too. If utilities are included in the rent, the landlord might have more concern. You might want to ask about this charging inside issue at the local fire department too, and see if there's something in the codes. ___________________________ Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible. | |||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
2:26 ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| It's all part of the adventure... |
Yes, advise the landlord, and you should seriously consider renter’s insurance if you don’t already have it anyway. Regards From Sunny Tucson, SigFan NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA "Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky) | |||
|
Truth Seeker![]() |
Yeah I would at least inform the landlord so they know and can decide. NRA Benefactor Life Member | |||
|
| Member |
As someone who flies RC drones, planes and Helicopters that are all powered by Lithium batteries I would never charge them at home unless I am there. I use what is called a battery bunker and even put them on a non flammable block. I’m not sure if these E-bike batteries can be easily removed and be placed in some type of battery bunker but I would definitely be concerned if there are zero fire precautions. I’ve seen plenty of videos of these batteries going up in flames and the flame and toxic smoke even from a very small battery is shocking. | |||
|
| Member |
I have several lithium batteries for lawn maintenance equipment. I charge them in the kitchen where I can keep an eye on them, and store them in an outdoor shed. They don't seem to be seriously affected by the cold. I like them charged because they can also be used in a lighting/charging device for small devices. | |||
|
| Member |
Assuming this is you or someone you care about that lives in this unit ? You/they need renters insurance yesterday. Fire concern from this basement or not. If that place goes up and you have no insurance well too bad. The landlord gets a new building and maybe his policy has some tenant displacement covers for a hotel for a month but otherwise tenants are out of luck and have nothing to show except the underwear they ran out of the apartment that was on fire at 3am. | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
The local Batteries Plus yesterday: Charging lithium-ion battery causes Port Charlotte store blaze Jim DeLa Published: Sep. 23, 2026 at 11:21 AM EDT PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (WWSB) - A lithium-ion battery fire caused major damage to a business in Port Charlotte Tuesday, fire officials said. Shortly after 1 p.m., Charlotte County Fire & EMS was dispatched to Batteries Plus on Tamiami Trail. Firefighters found that a lithium-ion battery was on fire and additional batteries were exploding inside the store. No injuries were reported. Following an investigation, the fire was determined to be accidental and started by a lithium-ion battery that was charging. Lithium-ion batteries power many devices, but when they become damaged, defective or overheat, they can create a serious fire hazard, fire officials said. Charlotte County Fire & EMS caution people to handle lithium-ion batteries carefully: Use the charging equipment recommended by the manufacturer. Charge batteries on a hard, stable surface away from combustible materials. Never charge devices under pillows, on beds or on couches. Stop using batteries that are swollen, damaged, leaking or unusually hot. Pay attention to warning signs such as excessive heat, unusual odors, popping sounds, smoke or changes in shape. | |||
|
Spread the Disease![]() |
1s1k has it done right. Either outside away from an inhabited structure (for something too big to remove the battery) or in a protective encasement. I'd let the landlord know. I saw a very good presentation on EV fires at an explosives conference; it greatly swayed me away from getting one. It seems like the technology hasn't caught up to the market yet in this area. ________________________________________ -- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. -- | |||
|
| Member |
A close friend of mine lost his garage and a really nice '68 C-10 short/wide box to a fire caused by the battery for his weed whacker when it was charging. Draw your own conclusions. | |||
|
Don't Panic![]() |
Might want to test whether all residents can hear the smoke alarm in the basement. If anyone isn't able to hear the alarm, that definitely would need to be addressed. | |||
|
| Member |
Since it's an apartment building there could be some code issues regarding the smoke detectors. | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

