SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grandfathers Bronze Star and other medals-question for the forum also.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grandfathers Bronze Star and other medals-question for the forum also. Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Combat Command A, 14th Armored Division, failed in its mission to capture a bridge across the Isar, but this was soon overshadowed by the magnitude of the liberation of Stalag VIIA. It did not hold 27,000 prisoners of war, as was originally reported, but 110,000. Among them were 30,000 American soldiers, sailors, and airmen.

That whole story is awesome, in the literal sense, but the passage I quoted is truly unfathomable to me. 110,000 prisoners. Incredible. That’s a respectably sized city’s worth of men held captive. I can’t even imagine that.

I’ve embarrassingly edited that unit report after finding out today he wasn’t in the unit we had on last record until July. Bittersweet in that was such an awesome part of history to liberate the Pow Camp etc. Instead, he went to the 9th ID, 60th Inf Regt somewhere around the Battle around Remagen and the Ludendorff Bridge and closing Ruhr pocket. He was there in the final battles and for the meeting of Russian units heading west. Another great story.

Thanks to all for the interest and suggestions. I’ve been so busy in this I’ve not responded to everyone but thanks to all.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
The Greatest generation. Thanks for sharing.

God bless him and your family.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post