SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer help needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer help needed Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
This is a spare computer of mine, it is an Asus AIO that is about 7-8 years old. I tried taking a screenshot of it, but it wouldn’t show the troublesome “factory menu” box depicted in this photo I took of the screen.
This menu box will not go away, and there is nothing I can do with it, when I try to put my cursor onto it, the cursor just disappears.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the monitors menu. Hit the buttons on the monitor to go down the menu and hit exit

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yep. Monitor menu. If all else fails, unplug it a let the capacitors discharge (couple minutes, maybe). Then plug it back in and fire it back up.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Pressing the monitor buttons did nothing (mode, menu, volume. I unplugged the power to the system and waited about five minutes. Now when I press the power button I can hear the HD start up, power light comes on, keyboard lights up, then it shuts right down, all done within five seconds.☹️

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Check the internet for your monitor model's user manual.

That looks like a diagnostic screen showing detailed settings and the result of some internal tests: "HDCP OK" etc.

If the manual doesn't talk about it, a quick email to ASUS's tech support should get it straight.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I believe it’s dead.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It could be terminal, I guess that's always possible.

The fact that it says 'factory menu page' tells me the internal test screen Joel9507 suggested is accurate. You usually only have access to those by using some uncommon combination of 'hold down X button for 3 seconds then press Y and Z buttons simultaneously to access the secret squirrel menu'.
I'd heartily suggest looking on the back or bottom edge for the specific model and google 'secret menu' along with it.

A little googling without the model number seems to show these kinds of problems from posts for equipment that go back 8 years or so, primarily simple monitors without any special AIO mentions. Below is a service menu activation procedure that seems to keep popping up:

With Power off, hold down Menu Button + Power for 7 seconds. Then let off for a few seconds and then hold down the Menu Button until you see the special/hidden blue menu on the far left of the monitor.

Use the normal up/down navigation keys to get to OD, then turn that off and exit the menu.

Hey it's worth a shot.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It Hasn’t been able to start back up since pulling the power cord for five minutes. Read my second post in this thread please.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It may never restart, but I'd still try holding down the buttons (I just amended my post above) anyway.

By the way, did you ever secure the model #?

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Windows update late last week. The update knocked out my printer. Had to remove and reinstall. Why do I always have to do the repair when I never caused it?! No directions on how to fix.

I just took a wild ass guess that what I did would get the printer up and running again. I’m too old to remember all this crapola.

Sorry I can’t help you, why us Lord?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I know it’s an AIO (All in One) but the monitor still has a separate “logic board”. I’ve seen them go bad before.
Could we have had a power spike or some heat issues?

Any way to hook up an external monitor and troubleshoot that way? Is there a VGA/DVI or hdmi port?

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Like mentioned before it is a monitor issue.
Could be the switch is bad.
You could open it up and try to manually switch it.
Or as also mentioned connect to another monitor.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post