Find
Notify
Tools

Dash camera's Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I did a search for "dash cam", most recent was 2017.

What do we like nowadays?

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Rove R2-4K
https://www.rovedashcam.com/pr...VqUjGBkHpwPqQJoXiz6P

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25440 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We just ordered a garmin mini 2 with the power obd wire and a rear camera….didn’t arrive before we left for vacation so we will get it and install when we get back.

There’s an old thread and I got the gist that garmin was the thing from some of the links

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Here is a recent thread from April of this year.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...070000194#8070000194

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Garmin Mini 2 for a month and am happy with it. I can't get any memory card larger than 32GB to format FAT32 for it though, but that will still hold a couple days worth of driving. The OBD power wire works wonders.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These should come standard. 4 cameras with removeable memory cards

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Not many know it but If you buy the hardwire kit for your dash cam you can get best buy to install it for $60 even though if you didn’t buy it from them.

Rov R2-4 dash cam in both trucks have been reliable for 2 years

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve used either Blackvue or Thinkware cameras from blackboxmycar.com. No issues to report. They work great.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
BlackVue 2 channel here. Has been flawless. I hardwired it and tucked the forward cam behind the mirror. The back cam is in plain view but is small and doesn’t impose. Great system that connects to my phone seamlessly.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
We have several flavors of Garmin and all have been flawless. I’m invested in the Garmin universe so that helps.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Great info guys. For those of you that have hardwired theirs, how difficult is it to do so?

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've found the web vender "Black Box My Car" a good source for all things Dash Cam and other electronic devices for vehicles.

Personally, I've had a BlackVue two channel running for over 5 years with zero issues even though it's mounted on my windshield in 100+ degree weather.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If you have power to your rear view mirror it’s as simple as getting an adaptor to plug a short power cable into; search Amazon for Dongar Technologies or SimpleUSB for your vehicle specific adaptor.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I have the Garmin Mini 2 and use the Dongar Tech adapter for a clean install on my 4Runner. Seems to work really well for what I need.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I used a Power Magic Pro device to hardwire. It monitors the voltage in your battery when in “park mode” so the camera will not run if the system voltage drops below a threshold. You can also set how long the camera runs in park mode. Hardwiring is just a matter of power sources and hiding wires from there

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I would check your search parameters as I know there have been several threads here re dash cams.

I recently got the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo. It was easy to install and I’ve had no issues with it so far.

Also, don’t overlook the memory card. The card is going to be overwritten again and again. Some cards will corrupt quickly, so you want one that’s designed to withstand the rigor of repeated overwriting. I got the Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB memory card.

ETA: Big thumbs up to BlackBoxMyCar.com. I didn’t get my dash cam from them, but contacted them re an installation question I had. They were very responsive and helpful. I would be sure to buy from them in the future.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I learned a lot from this site.

Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I also have Rove R2-4K units in both my cars, both less than a year, but so far, so good. If you want one, put on in your cart on the Rove website and one in your cart in the Amazon website, as both vendors run sales on these frequently and this way you'll be alerted when it does go on sale.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
BlackVue 2 channel here. Has been flawless. I hardwired it and tucked the forward cam behind the mirror. The back cam is in plain view but is small and doesn’t impose. Great system that connects to my phone seamlessly.

Same here. Got it for the drive down from Washington and I’m yet to install the back camera. Need to take it to Best Buy like Kg5388 suggested and have them wire it up, but so far, I’m liking the ease of use and the features. Haven’t opened up a video on a computer yet but the 4k seems pretty good on the phone.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post