SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Couldn't wait to go fishing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couldn't wait to go fishing Login/Join 
posted
Been itching to go fishing for some smallmouth. Here in central VA the rivers are still cold, but I had to go. Headed out the past two days to a small broken down dam to wet the lines and ended up wading out chest deep in ~50° James River water. Hundreds of casts, 1 bite, 1 fish. 19.5" fat smallmouth. Made my day. Close to a citation in VA. This should get all the fishermen out there juicy. I'll post a pic when I can figure out how to.

Finally put a new fan in my laptop and figured out how to get a pic up. Hope it works.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Virginia sheepdog,

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
19.5" smallmouth? What did it weigh? You might check the state record. Eek

I've caught a lot of smallmouth in Wa, Id and Mt and never landed one that size.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had many wonderful fishing days that were no where near catching my limit.

I borrowed my cousins fly rod, why , I'd never fly fished before, did not have a clue as to how it worked.

after 45 minutes of bait casting w/o a nibble , I started whipping and flailing , and trying to figure stuff out.

I aimed at an old tractor tire and missed it 4 times, the fifth time it hit exactly where I wanted it too.

amazed at my luck , I let it set for 40 seconds and twitched it exactly like god had planned it and Boom !splash , , a dandy 3.5 pound bass attacked the top water popper.

and ! I got it all the way to the bank , unhooked it and released it.

I left elated

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Fly fishing for bass (and panfish) with poppers is one of the great, simple joys of fishing. You got off to an enviable start!

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where on the James were you fishing?

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm getting set to go panfishing this year using a fly rod (3 and 5 wt) and kayak. Looking at kayaks now, lot's of choices.

Take care.....

Posts: 8 | Location: KATW | Registered: August 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In the past 2 weeks the Bass have starting biting. Depending on where you are (water temp) in some places they are also bedding.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
19.5" smallmouth? What did it weigh? You might check the state record. Eek

I've caught a lot of smallmouth in Wa, Id and Mt and never landed one that size.

Jim

They can get fairly large around here. I've fished the James a lot and the New River and caught some nice sized ones. Biggest I ever caught was in the New River at around 22 inches. I think a citation for one in VA is 20" or 5 lbs. Haven't looked it up in a few years.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:

Lynchburg. It was a nice spot that was secluded and I fished it for years rarely seeing anyone other than canoes/kayakers. Sadly the city put in a running trail that passes right by it now.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Salmon season opens in a few days!

Got the boat all primed and ready.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I hear ya bro. I fly fish all year round but the winter wears on me. I went out yesterday to explore a new creek about 60 mile from my home. It was small(30" wide) and brushy and my favorite type of fly fishing. Fishing it required lots of crawling on all fours and stealth to get in to position. I saw a couple of little guys lurking and had a single splashy refusal but no success. I spent four hours and tore my waders on some unseen barbed wire on a rainy afternoon. It was great...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I hear ya bro. I fly fish all year round but the winter wears on me. I went out yesterday to explore a new creek about 60 mile from my home. It was small(30" wide) and brushy and my favorite type of fly fishing. Fishing it required lots of crawling on all fours and stealth to get in to position. I saw a couple of little guys lurking and had a single splashy refusal but no success. I spent four hours and tore my waders on some unseen barbed wire on a rainy afternoon. It was great...

Yeah, it is hard to have a bad day fishing. I try to fish all year. I did not do much this winter even though it was mild. I enjoy fishing in the fall the most out here because it cools off, less bugs, less people, and the water is still warm enough to wade. I used to really enjoy fishing for trout up in the mountain streams we have here, but my new dog gets so wild around water that trout is out of the question for me now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Virginia sheepdog:
quote:

Lynchburg. It was a nice spot that was secluded and I fished it for years rarely seeing anyone other than canoes/kayakers. Sadly the city put in a running trail that passes right by it now.

Bummer, I went to HS in Lynchburg and fished the James there. I've got a place on the James a bit further down in Nelson County, near Howardsville.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Pics or it didn't happen. Wink

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't figure out a way to add pics on my mobile. Having to do everythimg from my phone since my home laptop cooling fan went out last week. Picking up another one this week and will get a pic up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bummer, I went to HS in Lynchburg and fished the James there. I've got a place on the James a bit further down in Nelson County, near Howardsville.

TS

Thats good fishing down there too. A good habitat for bass between Lynchburg and Richmond

SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been itching to go fishing for some smallmouth. Here in central VA the rivers are still cold, but I had to go. Headed out the past two days to a small broken down dam to wet the lines and ended up wading out chest deep in ~50° James River water. Hundreds of casts, 1 bite, 1 fish. 19.5" fat smallmouth. Made my day. Close to a citation in VA. This should get all the fishermen out there juicy. I'll post a pic when I can figure out how to.

You sure that wasn't a striper? 19.5" is a big smallmouth.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it was a smallmouth. Thats all i really fish for anymore around here. Rarely hook any largemouth any more and if I do theyre usually rather small. I don't think we have any stripers this far up the james, maybe farther down near the chesapeake bay. There are a few man made lakes around here with stripers, the only ones I ever caught were in salt water though. And you are right, that is a large smallmouth for around here I rarely catch them over 18" this far down the river, it was a good catch and really got me ready to go this year. With the good weather we've been having in my area I see a few more outings this week in my future.

Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Me too! THe weahter here in Florida has bean BEAUTIFUL. Last weekend it was 78, clear, sunny, with big white puffy clouds and warm enough that I wore shorts to work. Don't hate me. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rotndad,

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
Pics or it didn't happen. Wink

Exactly and what did you use for bait???

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post