SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of buying a 2008 Tundra. Anything I need to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying a 2008 Tundra. Anything I need to know? Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
Bought a 2010 5.7 Double Cab 4x4 for my company new. I kid you not it spent its entire life connected to a 20-foot TV trailer that was about 8k lbs and drove cross the country doing college sporting events.

It was maintained per the book and never ever had a single problem.

I left the company about 4 years ago to pursue a different career but last I heard they still have it. 170+K miles.

Oddly enough we had another 2007 GMC Sierra that too was rock solid. Work truck, 4.8 Vortec, 4Speed. Nothing special. Put 100+K hard miles on it too with very minimal problems.

All were maintained by the book.

Posts: 270 | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ This, however, if it has the TRD Off Road pkg, you already have Bilsteins.

True but with 100k I would still swap them out. My Z71 has factory Bilsteins and I swapped them at 70k and ride quality was noticeably better.
While they are warrantied for life the still get soft.
I am looking to try Fox here shortly on it. They are about $100 more total but would like to give them a try.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the secondary air injection pumps have been changed. A common enough problem that Toyota extended the warranty on them for 100k or 10yrs. Mine went at 90,000 and it would have been about a $2,000 repair. They throw a code and put the truck into limp mode.

My truck is a 2010 bought in 2009, now with 95,000. Normal maintence other than the water pump started to fail at 90,000. I put new hoses, belt, thermostat and spark plugs in since I was there. Changed the gear oil with Mobil 1, transfer needs done and then the transmission will get done at 100,000.

Tundras can warp the rotors if the tire installers over torque the wheels and if it needs brakes, use OEM only. Easy to do yourself. Rotors and new pads were about $300 for the fronts from an online Toyota dealer. Sparks if you’re on the East side land Puyallup if you’re on the west side of the country.

There have been a few recalls for the gas pedal, window motor and to program the ECU so it cuts power if you brake.

It’s been a great truck! Lousy MPG but that’s what it is. My next truck will be a Tundra.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I found out the transmission was flushed at 85k, water pump replaced at about 50k, and one side window switch was replaced under warranty.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post