SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of buying a 2008 Tundra. Anything I need to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying a 2008 Tundra. Anything I need to know? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
It's an 08, double cab, right at 100,000 miles, SR5 package. My friend is selling it and he's the second owner. I know him and he takes care of his stuff.

Is there anything I need to know about these trucks...like any maintenance that would be due now? My wife's Honda van is coming up on 100,000 miles and will need the timing belt and water pump replaced. Is there anything big like that I will need to do?

Does anyone know of common problems I should look out for?

My friend has pulled a bass boat with it for the last two summers. Should I be concerned about that?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak to the ‘08 Tundras specifically, but with Toyotas generally, while you won’t be bragging about gas mileage the tend to be solid vehicles that just keep ticking.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
The engine is made in my hometown, HUNTSVILLE, Alabama.

The gas mileage stinks.

Good looks with no unnecessary drama.

Toyota is known for Reliability not Comfort.

The new models are tired and need an update.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
If it is a 5.7 it is a timing chain and should be good for 250-300K. If it is the 4.7 it is a belt and you should replace it asap, if not already done.
(It was due at 90K)

The 5.7 is the same engine as the Landcruisers. Should be good for 300K plus.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If it has been taken care of you have lots of life left.
Only thing Toyota calls for out of the ordinary at 100k is a coolant swap.
It calls for plugs at 120k.

If I were buying the truck I would do the following especially since he has been towing.

Coolant
Plugs
All fluids oil, trans, brake, diffs, transfer case (you did not mention if 4wd or not).
Shocks Bilstein 4600s will be your best bet for around $350 and have a lifetime warranty.

Here is the maintenance schedule for the 2008:
https://www.toyota.com/t3Porta...f/T-MMS-08Tundra.pdf

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A friend has a 2010 with E cab and 8 foot box, 4x4. Its a long truck. Sinse the day he bought it, its been run hard pulling a car trailer, hauling cleaning equipments, almost never gets shut off. Lots of idle time. The truck is dependable as can be. I viewed a couple spots where paint chips occured. What was posted about some plastic panels is correct. He wont run the E85 in it because hes old fashioned and didnt even know what it was.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I have a 2008 4Runner, same engine options available. Mine is the 4.0 V6, no complaints on gas mileage. Like others have said, I think the V8 was a gas hog.

Black92LX already posted the maintenance schedule. The only comment I would add is that this vehicle has a "sealed" transmission (no dipstick, you can't check the fluid level).
I would find a transmission shop you trust to swap the fluid because it's kind of a pain to do yourself.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I think the 5.7 is rated 12 or 13 city mpg. It’s the only reason a friend ditched his 2009 after a few years. Said that truck would haul frickin trains if you needed it.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I have a 2008 4Runner, same engine options available. Mine is the 4.0 V6, no complaints on gas mileage. Like others have said, I think the V8 was a gas hog.

Black92LX already posted the maintenance schedule. The only comment I would add is that this vehicle has a "sealed" transmission (no dipstick, you can't check the fluid level).
I would find a transmission shop you trust to swap the fluid because it's kind of a pain to do yourself.

The 4Runner had either your 4.0 V6 or the 4.7V8 with the timing belt. They did not have the 5.7V8 with the timing chain. The Landcruiser engine. Hopefully the Tundra has the 5.7 That is the one you want for towing etc. It will run forever. You don't buy a full size truck with gas mileage being your number one concern. Resale value will be better with the 5.7

I owned a Landcruiser with the 5.7 and it was wonderful. I also helped a friend buy an 08 Tundra with the 5.7 and did a lot of research for him. They are great trucks.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Right you are, FishOn. I have a friend with the Tundra with the 5.7. They are great trucks.
For towing, I hope the one he buys has the 5.7V8

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Right you are, FishOn. I have a friend with the Tundra with the 5.7. They are great trucks.
For towing, I hope the one he buys has the 5.7V8

I had an older 4Runner too. Fantastic!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

To add to that make sure they do a fluid SWAP and not a FLUSH. Large difference between the two and you want to stay far away from that latter.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I had a 2007 double cab SR5 with the TRD Off Road package and 5.7 L engine.

Put over 175,000 on it and traded it in in 2016. Great truck, wish I had bought another when trading in.

I got much better than 12-13 mpg in town. If I babied it on long highway trips, I could get 24 mpg.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

To add to that make sure they do a fluid SWAP and not a FLUSH. Large difference between the two and you want to stay far away from that latter.

What’s the difference?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
It’s the 5.7 motor, 4wd

Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
quote:
quote:

What’s the difference?

When you swap you drain, replace and repeat. On my 4R I drain about 3 qts, run it for a few miles and repeat x 3. It's a bit of a pain having to monitor tranny oil temps.

When you flush you hook it up to basically a dialysis machine. Old fluid is flushed out and replaced with new. The concern here is that little bits an pieces will become mobilized and clog things up.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
quote:
quote:

What’s the difference?

When you swap you drain, replace and repeat. On my 4R I drain about 3 qts, run it for a few miles and repeat x 3. It's a bit of a pain having to monitor tranny oil temps.

When you flush you hook it up to basically a dialysis machine. Old fluid is flushed out and replaced with new. The concern here is that little bits an pieces will become mobilized and clog things up.

Also those contaminants can actually work to you advantage over time as they get Caught in the in seals and gaskets creating blockages. The flush can dislodge them and you’ll start to leak from the seals because the contaminats have become dislodged.
A simple drain and fill will keep them in place as the fluid pressure in no more than your operating transmission where as the flush pumps up the pressure.

With a drain and fill you will never get all the fluid out which is not really an issue as long as you get most of it. Should be a few magnets to clean off on the inside as well too.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
This gen of Tundras have air injection pumps that put o2 back into the exhaust gas. The system was prone to sucking in enough moisture to seize the pumps, and put the truck in limp mode. Toyota warrantied them to 150k, mine seized up just beyond that mark in my 07 Tundra. The parts are expensive if you do it. Dealer fixed mine, yeah it was over 2k, but other than this, best pickup i ever had. Had 212k on the odo when the front end got smashed. Replaced it with an '18 5.7 4x4 crewmax.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Family member had a 2008 4x4 with the 5.7 that had 295,000 miles when it was totaled. Didn’t burn a drop of oil. Great trucks!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it has been taken care of you have lots of life left.
Only thing Toyota calls for out of the ordinary at 100k is a coolant swap.
It calls for plugs at 120k.

If I were buying the truck I would do the following especially since he has been towing.

Coolant
Plugs
All fluids oil, trans, brake, diffs, transfer case (you did not mention if 4wd or not).
Shocks Bilstein 4600s will be your best bet for around $350 and have a lifetime warranty.

Here is the maintenance schedule for the 2008:
https://www.toyota.com/t3Porta...f/T-MMS-08Tundra.pdf

^^^ This, however, if it has the TRD Off Road pkg, you already have Bilsteins. Usually there's a decal on the side of the bed wall, but you can go to the Toyota website, plug in the VIN, and it will give you all the factory and port installed options on your specific truck.

Fluids for the truck can be quite expensive. I stay with the OEM Toyota red "lifetime" coolant, and the crazy expensive but proprietary Toyota brand ATF, but go Redline for the transfer case and differentials.

It is a dirty secret in the dealership world that if you take a vehicle in for fluid changes, they will often replace with whatever bulk product they have on hand. They buy 55 gal drums to maximize margins and use it for everything. I have a 2013 Tundra 4wd with the 5.7 that was very well maintained by the previous owner, and came with all the service records. It was taken in to have fluids changed by a Toyota dealer at 100K, and according to the receipt they used 75W-140 in the diffs and TC. Toyota actually specs 75W-85 in the diffs and 75W-90 in the TC. Figuring I wanted that stuff out, I called a few dealers to inquire what they use, and some were honest, while some, I'm pretty sure, weren't.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post