SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheni:
"
It was like a murder for 5 min. with 3 men on top after he passed out. In my opinion. Intentional murder? nope.

At this point it is only your opinion that it was murder. That is what this trial is about .To prove it was murder or not .Your insistence at this point it was murder is moot. Just cool it for a while. PLEASE!!
Edited for spelling

This message has been edited. Last edited by: triggertreat,

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The fascination with this trial is nuts. We've all seen 90% of the evidence months ago. Dude's not guilty as charged. Make your case that he's a murderer, whatever. Put any cop in the that same situation and 98% and the outcome would have been the same. Only thing the cop could have changed was to administer aid 3-4 minutes earlier than he did. It's not even guaranteed that he would have lived had he immediately rendered aid. Charges should have been whatever applies for failure to render aid, negligence, or manslaughter in that state.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charges should have been whatever applies for failure to render aid, negligence, or manslaughter in that state.

Keith Ellison as our attorney general, the dude never had a chance. Hell, the state went to court multiple times just to shoehorn in third-degree murder because they were terrified that they would not get a conviction on second.

All things considered, I could see an argument for manslaughter. However, if that’s what happens, to the “mob” it will be the same as not guilty. This city, and multiple others will burn burn burn.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh ya and rackrack called a 27 year police veteran who has been a detective for 20 years a dimwit. Probably because he doesn't agree or something. The white Sargent testified that he had never heard of the term "hold for EMS" so.

You are confused. My post was about the lieutenant, not the sergeant. The lieutenant testified in the affirmative that he had heard the term. Watch the video again.

Also, being a 27 year veteran does not preclude one from being a dimwit. He stated in his testimony that his job is to make sure that the scene is secured with crime scene tape. Sounds like the department doesn't have any higher opinion of him than I do, if that's the duty they assign to him as a 27 year veteran.

The prosecution obviously chose him because he's slow and malleable, a dimwit.

Posts: 1457 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you want me to stop commenting?
So much so that you're on Moderated Status for seven days. You are thoroughly confused, and on multiple levels at that.

If, after your seven day suspension, you choose to post further on the subject of this thread, I may take further action. I looked at your posting history. It's almost entirely in the Lounge. There are other sections to this forum. You may be surprised at the topics available for discussion- firearms, even. It's true.

Just to be clear- because, frankly, you seem a bit dense to me- if you try to post right now, it won't reach the board. This will be lifted in a week. I hope that's clear to you. I typed it out slowly.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107610 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
So is (was) the restraint used allowed by the department?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
So is (was) the restraint used allowed by the department?

It was taught by, but has since been removed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer (obviously) but I don’t understand why the defense attorney didn’t show the training manual to that dimwit LT on cross. I would think you would bring that training syllabus up every time the opportunity arose since it was current at the time of the incident.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Not a lawyer (obviously) but I don’t understand why the defense attorney didn’t show the training manual to that dimwit LT on cross. I would think you would bring that training syllabus up every time the opportunity arose since it was current at the time of the incident.

Too early in the trial. This will take weeks, so the best strategy is to put that into the jury's minds closer to their deliberations. Strategically, let the jury hear every single prosecution witness say this was improper, reprehensible, dangerous, reckless, etc. And then when the defense has the lead, show the manual and contradict every witness that came before and leave it fresh in their minds.

The defense attorney is VERY VERY good. And it's one man with a minimally experienced assistant against a dozen or more attorneys for the prosecution. Dare I say "there ought to be a law" against the prosecution having disparity of force in the trial. Each of the dozen or more prosecution attorneys can specialize in only a small number of witnesses and material. The defense needs to know all of it and stay on his game every minute for the entire trial.

Where are Dershowitz and the other famous defense attorneys on this? Nowhere to be seen.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:

Too early in the trial. This will take weeks, so the best strategy is to put that into the jury's minds closer to their deliberations. Strategically, let the jury hear every single prosecution witness say this was improper, reprehensible, dangerous, reckless, etc. And then when the defense has the lead, show the manual and contradict every witness that came before and leave it fresh in their minds.

The defense attorney is VERY VERY good. And it's one man with a minimally experienced assistant against a dozen or more attorneys for the prosecution. Dare I saw "there ought to be a law" against the prosecution having disparity of force in the trial. Each of the dozen or more prosecution attorneys can specialize in only a small number of witnesses and material. The defense needs to know all of it and stay on his game every minute for the entire trial.

Where are Dershowitz and the other famous defense attorneys on this? Nowhere to be seen.

Just to add-this was covered in the link in this post on page 8...but Lefty Sig summarized it quite well.

Chauvin Trial Day 5 Wrap-Up: Poorly Informed Witnesses Provide State with Poorly Informed Opinions

https://lawofselfdefense.com/c...y-informed-opinions/

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
Also, being a 27 year veteran does not preclude one from being a dimwit.....

The prosecution obviously chose him because he's slow and malleable, a dimwit.

Everyone needs to re-read this...no prosecutor is going to put a person who can quote the SOP when a fellow cop is in the dock....hell, find a current FTO and ask him the policy..I bet he can quote it and explain it to the normal person in normal words(which is what the FTOs job is-to explain the system and rules)

And yes, there are other reasons for being a 27 year veteran and not progressing further than Lt/senior officer/corporal ...like the staff doesn’t like how you speak the truth, or you train newbies in the truth and not following what staff wants, or you follow the law vs doing what you are told..., or there are no vacancies in the staff position, or they think promoting lesbian black women will show how woke the department is, or most likely- dudes an idiot and the staff didn’t want him to be a captain because he’s an idiot...I could go on but you get the gist...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
OK thanks. How about WP. Washington Post???

Correct. Sorry about the initials. Since they use them as their logo in just about everything, I thought the initials alone would be recognized.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The Lt. could be called back as a defense witness, after defense has their expert testify on policy and procedure and that the technique was allowed at the time of incident. Impeach his testimony at that time, show him the Policy and Procedure Manual and read from it then. This idiot also said a handcuffed suspect is NEVER a threat.......I personally know of two officers who were killed in my area by handcuffed suspect and numerous others injured by handcuffed suspects.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I hope that's clear to you. I typed it out slowly.
The past two weeks have been very stressful for me. I read these two sentences, funniest thing I've seen for a long time. The laugh really helped me. Thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
[
quote:

It seems some members don't agree that putting a knee on the neck of a passed out handcuffed man for 5 min. is wrong.

As far as I'm concerned St. George de la Fentanyl (MMXX) was a scumbag who was directly responsible for his own demise. Unfortunately that officer is going to be sacrificed on the altar of wokeness.

But then if you are employed by a communist regime don't be surprised if they toss you in the gulag when they have no more use for you.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I read that reply about being too early in the trial. I just think it’s a hogwash answer. There are two sides to the argument, quality vs quantity. They both have merit and place. It’s not inconceivable that the jury will hear the same nonsense prosecution argument a couple dozen times. Throw enough mud against the wall syndrome. Saving the training manual perhaps is a more effective path or perhaps not. I find in life that stopping a nonsensical line of thought is usually getter than letting it take root.

I’m not a lawyer but I would counter their nonsense with the training manual every time. Never let the idea even start to settle in the juries mind that the restraint was anything but allowed.

I still don’t get waiting for the “ta da” moment. It seems risky. Certainly riskier than rubbing their tits in the outright lie each time they spoke it.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not a lawyer but I would counter their nonsense with the training manual every time. Never let the idea even start to settle in the juries mind that the restraint was anything but allowed.

I still don’t get waiting for the “ta da” moment. It seems risky. Certainly riskier than rubbing their tits in the outright lie each time they spoke it.

That is a demonstration of weakness of your defense, that you have to answer every point when it is brought up...it makes your side seem petty

A defense based on strength allows the other side to build a wall and then destroys it all at once by taking out the false foundation. This isn't even the practice of law but a basic fundamental of arguement

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Remember that the state goes first, and a good prosecutor will structure the case so that the defense gets as little chance as possible to rebut the case during the state's case. That is the disadvantage of going second - the other side gets to tell its story first, more or less uninterrupted. The advantage of going last is that you are the last thing the jury hears.

Lawyers argue about it a lot, but the consensus is that going first is an advantage, more often than not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Charges should have been whatever applies for failure to render aid, negligence, or manslaughter in that state.

Keith Ellison as our attorney general, the dude never had a chance. Hell, the state went to court multiple times just to shoehorn in third-degree murder because they were terrified that they would not get a conviction on second.

All things considered, I could see an argument for manslaughter. However, if that’s what happens, to the “mob” it will be the same as not guilty. This city, and multiple others will burn burn burn.

So true, I am from MN I just hate to see what has happened to my home state. I hope they are preparing for the mayhem that will occur. We had planned to visit family on the 17th but it looks like we will be heading straight to the Black Hills instead.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fundamentally disagree with your premise epiphany. This “perry mason” moment you are building up for may never materialize in the manner you think it will. If they are stating an outright lie, destroy it, right then, don’t let it take root at all among the jury.

If you destroy the basis of their lie, they can’t keep bringing up the same lie. Your point is incorrect in my opinion. If you allow them to repeat a lie over and over thinking I will destroy it at the end I think you fail miserably in your argument. You utterly lay waste to it immediately. If they bring it back up you make them look idiotic which would then be easy to do.

This isn’t a small lie followed by a bunch more small lies, the wall of lies of which you describe. This lie, that the restraint wasn’t taught, practiced, and standard procedure of the MPD is literally the cornerstone of their manslaughter argument (assuming probably correctly that the murder charges are knowingly out of reach). Completely deny that ground. They can’t claim rogue behavior if it’s SOP. You would actually hope they try to bring it up again, arguing against the actual training manual makes their position not weak but absolutely untenable.

To your point, countering every lie with facts makes your argument weak. I fail to understand that position, at all.