SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Powerline has been running a series of reports on the jury selection process.

This process is a disgrace. There is little to no chance of a fair trail in Minneapolis.

Here is a link to the latest Powerline report:

https://www.powerlineblog.com/...uvin-trial-day-8.php

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I say to you in all sincerity that I do not give a SHIT what happens in that trial, nor to the city in which it takes place, nor to anyone involved in any way with it. I'm sick of hearing about this idiotic, drug-addicted thug's death suicide. You think you can make people understand the truth of what really happened that day? Forget it. They're going to railroad this cop and there's nothing you can do about it, and yet, here we are, creating new threads on this OLD shit.

The most honest thing I've read in this entire shit circus.

Thank Para

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile in Minneapolis....

After rule change, businesses rush to install security shutters

Last week, for the first time in months, Dave Hautman took the plywood off his windows and rolled down new metal shutters to protect the Franklin-Nicollet Liquor Store from potential looters.

Though the retractable shutters cost more than $40,000, Hautman figures they will more than pay for themselves. His store was hit by looters twice last year, racking up losses of more than $250,000.

"If we didn't have this kind of security, we'd just pack up and leave," said Hautman, general manager of the liquor store. "You can't afford to keep going down this road. It has just become lawless."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^ if there ever was an indictment of our system failing inner cities it’s the BLM (Burn Loot & Meyhem) movement the worthless as fuck Democrat party has aided and abetted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will not be watching the trial. I may be shocked, but the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Setting aside the fact that Floyd was overdosed with lethal amounts of not one, but two different illegal drugs, in the process of committing a crime, refusing to comply, and resisting (and big), I just want to know one thing:

How does someone who can't breathe manage to say, "I can't breathe?" As I recall, as an EMT-basic way back when...someone who can talk has an airway, and can breathe. Some if someone says "I can't breathe," it seems evidence to me that the person can...breathe.

That's all I have to say about this story.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
How does someone who can't breathe manage to say, "I can't breathe?" As I recall, as an EMT-basic way back when...someone who can talk has an airway, and can breathe. Some if someone says "I can't breathe," it seems evidence to me that the person can...breathe.

This is a very simplistic view of asphyxiation. A victim can die from asphyxiation due to compression as well as strangulation.

If you were working under a car, the jack failed, and the car fell on you, or if you became trapped under a 600 lb pallet, your last words might very well be, "Help! Help me. I'm trapped. I can't breathe."

In other words, just because you can exhale doesn't mean you can also inhale.

I'm not defending Floyd, nor do I claim compression asphyxiation applies to Floyd's case. It was relevant to Eric Garner's case. I do want to debunk the dangerous & prevalent rationale that, if someone is able to speak, then he must not be choking.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I say to you in all sincerity that I do not give a SHIT what happens in that trial, nor to the city in which it takes place, nor to anyone involved in any way with it. I'm sick of hearing about this idiotic, drug-addicted thug's death suicide. You think you can make people understand the truth of what really happened that day? Forget it. They're going to railroad this cop and there's nothing you can do about it, and yet, here we are, creating new threads on this OLD shit.

The most honest thing I've read in this entire shit circus.

Thank Para

The most critical point in his post is that too many people cannot or will not be brought to understand and accept truth. This single reality is what makes investing any time and effort to unifying the population a waste. Our differences are irreconcilable. There is only one resolution from here.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iron chef, I get your point but at least admit that his statement “I can’t breathe” wasn’t a dying exhortation. He said it fairly continually throughout the encounter. He said it multiple times long before he was placed on ground.

First Lady Reagan was right. If George would have listened he would still with us today and his family would be 27 million dollars poorer.

That is the true point that this trial should focus on. Did a knee restraint, which was the MPD standard for training, cause the death? Did it construct both carotid’s or even one? Did a fentanyl overdose cause the death? You read the toxicology which is more than the ME did when he wrote the first cause of death which had no mention of LE causality. That was added later under duress and political pressure.

Posts: 7496 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
He probably meant he was having trouble breathing, something the cops should have alleviated.

18 complaints in a 19 year career seems a bit excessive to me and I'm sure it will to the Jury.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
iron chef, I get your point but at least admit that his statement “I can’t breathe” wasn’t a dying exhortation. He said it fairly continually throughout the encounter. He said it multiple times long before he was placed on ground.

Did you miss the part where I wrote, "I'm not defending Floyd, nor do I claim compression asphyxiation applies to Floyd's case."? Confused

I didn't post to argue a case for or against Floyd or Chauvin. I am tired of the persistent myth that if someone was able to speak, then he must not have been suffering from asphyxiation or agonal breathing. It's almost as ignorant as the rationale that since some guy was unarmed, then he wasn't a threat.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This thread is going to end up getting locked PDQ

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
18 complaints in a 19 year career seems a bit excessive to me and I'm sure it will to the Jury.

It ain't hard to pick up complaints if you're a working copper. I had 7 in 15 years working in a large metro area, none of which were found to be substantiated. Had a few more in the next 15 in a rural setting. Same story.

It's easy to complain when you're being made to do something you don't want to do. Less easy to make it stick, since cops - like everyone else (except, apparently Chauvin) - are entitled to due process.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pyker said it. I was investigated twice by the Feds for Civil Rights Violations and civilly sued by someone who I was involved in a violent physical fight with after a Hollywood worthy car chase and robbery. A grand jury looked at me a couple of times too.
All was BS. And a complete waste of time. Most of the complaints against me were from entitled types who felt they (or their kids, wives and dogs) were above the law.
If you are active as a cop, BS complaints are a fact of life.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
About every six months I caught an IA like clockwork, in over 18 years...none were founded-none. If you are doing your job someone is going to complain to try and get the charge reduced/dropped...it’s a common hoodrat technique. Then there’s the higher ups who haven’t been real cops for ten years or so, who second guess you and your behavior or particular wording in a camera....

But like Para said, this cop is getting railroaded wether you want it or not. And all this is a waste of time.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Thought this thread was about the upcoming trial and not about the incident?

Does anybody here really think the officer is going to get a "fair" trial?

My thought is he'll be found guilty and then see charges dismissed during the appeal process.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Fentanyl is well known for causing chest wall muscle rigidity and decreased compliance, especially/particularly in an overdose situation.

Yes, he had an airway, but he was unable to adequately ventilate due to the overdose.

It had absolutely zero to do with the knee on the side of his neck, and everything to do with the overdose.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The only way this guy could get even close to a fair trial would be to move it to some Podunk village in the middle of nowhere that had no TV, no Internet (and probably no electricity or running water). Potential jury members anywhere else have already been indelibly tainted by the disclosures/pronouncements/innuendos promulgated by the various media arms. I, for one, have not listened to much of what has been put out, but even I would not be a truly unbiased jury member. (Nor would I be allowed to serve, because I have friends who are LEO.)

I'd like to believe I'm wrong, but I'm not going to bet the farm on it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will be an interesting one for sure from a purely legal standpoint:

were his actions IAW his training / procedures?

intoxicating substances in GF's bloodstream?

GF's overall health / contributing factors.

Does anyone know if Chauvin has a quality legal team?

another thing I have read is that DC and GF did or MAY have known each other personally from having worked previosult at the same night club. DC as off duty security and GF as a bouncer type guy. Will be interesting to see if / how those interactions come to light.

===========================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know if Chauvin has a quality legal team?

Yes and no. The lead attorney is Eric Nelson, he’s known in the community, but in no way is he one of the big names here in Minneapolis.

Nelson is part of a pool of defenders that the Mpls Police union use when their cops need representation.

Personal observation- I’m surprised “someone” or a group of “someone’s” did not get together and buy him one of the big guns here.

It also does not help that Keith Ellison (MN Attorney General) is using the full resources and influence of the state to back this case.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

It also does not help that Keith Ellison (MN Attorney General) is using the full resources and influence of the state to back this case.

This is virtually always a problem with criminal prosecutions. With a very few exceptions, the state's resources are virtually unlimited when compared to the defendant's. It creates a real imbalance when one side can, literally spend $2,000,000 and the other side has $100,000 or $200,000. Those numbers are not unrealistic for a murder trial. I bet Minnesota spends far more than that in this case.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post