SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacement batteries for drills
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement batteries for drills Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Are there any reliable sources for rechargeable drill replacement batteries at reasonable prices?

I hate like hell to toss a 14.4 Dewalt that gives good service, but Dewalt branded batteries are $68 each, and I have not had particularly good luck with the no name replacements bought for other purposes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you have a batteries plus near you but I took an old drill battery to them and they took the battery apart, checked each cell and replaced the bad cells. Worked like a champ and was maybe 20 bucks. It might be worth looking into.

Aaron

"Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday."

Posts: 148 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've bought some on eBay.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Dewalt, but for my Ryobi, I just buy a "kit" that includes whatever tool I don't have yet as they come with a new battery(ies) and a charger.

Many times I spend less money doing this versus buying just a brand new battery.

Posts: 3816 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
I don't know about Dewalt, but for my Ryobi, I just buy a "kit" that includes whatever tool I don't have yet as they come with a new battery(ies) and a charger.

Many times I spend less money doing this versus buying just a brand new battery.

This has been my experience. I was just wondering if there was a better and more responsible option for reasonably priced, reliable replacements.

I may try the take it to Batteries Plus and have them repair the existing cells.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
For the price of a battery being so expensive, I usually buy a new drill. The last one I bought was the Home Depot Brand (Rigid) which gives a lifetime replacement if it dies.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4034 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Batteries + Bulbs just quoted me $32 for new battery pack for 12 volt Bosch drill. I am going to do it and give it to my daughter. Nice drill and should serve her well - if the battery holds up. I have bought laptop batteries from them before and they have worked well

Posts: 617 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Search on Amazon for the battery part number. You'all get plenty of generic options.

Posts: 6450 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Search on Amazon for the battery part number. You'all get plenty of generic options.

This.

Just recently had to get new batteries for an 10+ yo milwaukee driver and an 20+yo makita. Got some generic (expertpower) replacements that have higher amp hours for a reasonable price.
They are a GIANT improvement. Tool is running good as new.

Posts: 1082 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:

This.

Just recently had to get new batteries for an 10+ yo milwaukee driver and an 20+yo makita. Got some generic (expertpower) replacements that have higher amp hours for a reasonable price.

I went this route with a cell phone battery that was supposed to be OEM, the battery worked great for about 6 weeks and then it got so bad my 2 year old cell phone battery I replaced held twice as long a charge......it was a chinese knock off and junk....

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:

This.

++
I have an old DeWalt 12v drill that I hadn't used in a long time due the the batteries being dead (i.e. not able to recharge). I picked these up on Amazon, and they work well at about a third of the price for new batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They should have the 14.4 batteries too.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I just buy a new bundle on sale. Dewalt 20v drill and 2 batteries with charger is usually available for $99. $60 more will get you a second tool.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I just buy a new bundle on sale. Dewalt 20v drill and 2 batteries with charger is usually available for $99. $60 more will get you a second tool.

I have these and they're amazing. The batteries stayed charged for months and last a long long time compared to the old nicad stuff. I'd go this route over buying old nicad batteries. My old 18 volts didn't hold a charge when sitting for a long while and the batteries didn't last near as long.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been doing the "package replacement" thing and have a garage full of drill chassis with no usable batteries. I have friends who have had the "cheap Chinese crap" experience with replacements. That's why I asked here, was to see if there was a replacement that was worth owning.

I may try the Expert Power route. If I pick up just two replacement batteries, I will have three 14.4 DeWalt drills in great shape that I can use. Very convenient on some projects not to have to be changing drivers or bits.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I actually "jump started" my old drill batteries and they've been working fine for a few months now. But I can tell they're going bad again. I'll have to think about getting those cheap Amazon ones.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Amazon I found after market 18V Ni-cads for my Black and Decker tools for $23.00, I ordered 2 about 6 months age and the work fine. I have string trimmer, blower and chain saw.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Just replaced the batteries on an old Craftsman set of drills. The originals were NiCad. The new ones are Li-ion. Got them from Amazon

If you do go that route, you'll also need a new charger. The old charger for NiCad won't work for Li-ion ... but the new charger is capable of charging both.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
With Fathers day sales.. it pays to Upgrade right now.. you can buy a complete Dewalt Lithium Ion Drill with batteries cheaper than just buying batteries. And the new Lithium are lighter and last longer.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9088 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm a Ryobi fan and have a bunch of their tools. A couple of times a year Home Depot has a sale on their 4.0 Ah batteries, 2 for the price of one and that is when I buy them. Those 4.0 Ah batteries are the bomb. They last, easily 4 times longer than the smaller ones.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post