SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pageing Ironbutt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pageing Ironbutt Login/Join 
posted
Noticed you had right kidney removed in August. I'm scheduled for September 7th for the same. Just wondered about your recovery period. Pain and mobility.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
The surgery lasted 4 hours. It was done with robotic assist. I had five 3/4-1" surgical scars, where the robot did it's thing, then one 4" scar centreline, above my navel where the kidney & ureter was manually removed.

I stayed overnight in the hospital & was home the next afternoon. Pain was minimal, and was mostly around the incisions when getting in & out of chairs or into & out of bed. I was prescribed oxycodone, but only took one the first night. I'd take Tylenol before bedtime & that covered any discomfort pretty well.

The morning after I left the hospital, I gradually resumed my daily walks, starting with 1/2 mile & working my way back up. I was told not to lift over 10 lbs, and no strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks. It's been just over four weeks now, and I'm pretty much back to doing all my regular stuff. I'm just careful not to overdo it.

The BIGGEST pain in the butt was the indwelling catheter. It's a bitch trying to walk 2 miles, or do anything else for that matter, while stabilising that damn catheter. It doesn't matter how well it's anchored to your leg, there's going t be movement.

The cath came out after two weeks, but three days after the catheter came out, I started running a fever & ended up in the hospital. They pumped me full of IV antibiotics for four days. I was discharged a week ago yesterday & everything's been fine since.

I hope this helps, and good luck. Not too many years ago, have a kidney removed would involve a couple weeks, or more in the hospital. Now they want you up & moving the same day, if possible.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the response. I guess I'm in for a few weeks of fun.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I hope everything works out OK for you. Looking back, even with the setback from the infection, it could have been a heck of a lot worse.

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Nosticks, I guess your surgery's still scheduled for tomorrow. I hope everything goes well, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thomas Sowell

posted Hide Post
Yep. Today's a fun day of prepping. Thanks for the good wishes. Will post outcome a few days from now.

Awake not woke

posted Hide Post
Well, this is Saturday, three days after the truck hit me. Never did get the license plate.

Actually doing fine, all went well. They took the Foley out before sending me home yesterday. Gas pains like I never had before.

A funny thing did happen. When I was coming out of anesthesia one of the doctors ask me if I knew what day it was. I told him no not sure. He then asked what year it was, I said 2023. The he asked who the president was and I said we don't have one but I hear there is some old fool with dementia shuffling around the white house lawn claiming to be the president, may be it's him. He laughed and said I think you're ok.

Awake not woke

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Glad everything turned out OK nosticks.

Thomas Sowell