SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My firewood addiction, strong as ever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My firewood addiction, strong as ever Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Free sugar maple and all I have to do is cut it up and haul it away? Why thank you, I'd love to! Wood is green and will need to season for a year after I split it, but will be splendid when it's ready.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8659 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know firewood well. It heated our house up until I moved south in 2000. Our stove was a Vermont Castings "Defiant" model with top load. We used to burn 12-16 cord a year in western NY. We had 65 acres to pick from, and always did our best to scavenge those brought down by storms, but we mainly burnt ash, elm, maple, and oak.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nosler, if you used 12-16 cords in one year, you needed a new stove badly A good stove in Siberia would only burn half that. Unless you were burning rolls of toilet paper Wink

My climate is a heck of lot more winter like than W. NY and that is a good 3-4 years worth of firewood keeping the fire buring day and night.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19765 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
I know firewood well. It heated our house up until I moved south in 2000.

We have a "Clydesdale" insert by Hearthstone. We usually burn 4-6 face cord a winter (although last winter we burned 8). We have lots of ash now as all the trees around are killed off by the EAB, but I never pass an opportunity for good firewood like hard maple, hickory, black locust and oak.

I'm still in western NY. Frown

-----------------------

Posts: 8659 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Nosler, if you used 12-16 cords in one year, you needed a new stove badly A good stove in Siberia would only burn half that. Unless you were burning rolls of toilet paper Wink

IT was upstate NY, where "winter" typically starts in late October and ends in March. And yes, the stove was made in the early 1980's, and was heating a 1900 sq foot house that was a raised ranch.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I used to have that addiction too....when I heated with wood. It's been quite a few years now. I kind of miss, but then I don't.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
To burn that much wood you would have to loading the stove every 4 hours 24-7.
16 cord wood is over 2000 cubic feet Eek

That is insane even if winter is 12 months long. Which it isn't in W. NY

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19765 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
The addiction can be strong young padawan. When the tree guys start calling you for deliveries is when you've graduated.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have lived in this house since the middle of 1985. Our primary source of heat comes from a fireplace insert that we have had since shortly after we moved here. Some of our wood comes from "blow-downs" on our place. For several years we got free wood delivered to our place by a couple guys doing tree work. Saved him money as he would have had to pay to take it to the landfill. Told him to bring anything but pine. And he didn't need to cut it to stove length.

I have cut down several trees on the lot that needed to come down for one reason or another.

Saved a lot of money doing the cutting and splitting myself.

Still have several cords of wood stacked and covered which should last until wife and I are too old/lame to haul it into the house.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
The addiction can be strong young padawan. When the tree guys start calling you for deliveries is when you've graduated.

I think I am there. My neighbor is a tree guy and when working nearby will drop off. He delivered a few weeks ago and I turned this:

Into this:

-----------------------

Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably "face" cords.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by REdwin89:
quote:

Probably "face" cords.

Sorry, yes face cord.

Our face cords were cut to 16" lengths. Our "ricks" were 5.5 feet tall and 12 feet long, meaning they were roughly 2 face cords per rick, and would use 6-8 ricks depending on the severity of the winter. This was not that unusual for most of our neighbors (all of whose homes were 1600-2100 sq feet).

My best friend's father used one of their garage bays to stack firewood 6" tall from wall to wall (probably 10'), and about 8' deep. We were not so lucky - we kept ours under tarps outside - about 40' from the garage door.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'll play...

I've hooked up with a pro arborist in Denver. Like elk above, my guy needs to get rid of several trees per week. When he gets a job with hardwood close to me he texts me to see if I want the wood. he cuts it all up into manageable length size and I haul it away.

This is the wood I've got since mid January. It's 6 1/2 cords, excluding the smaller stack near the front which I started stacking this past weekend. The main pile is 10' wide, 14' long and 6' high.

I burn wood 24 X 7 from late Sept to late April. I burn about 3 cords per year. I hope to double the existing pile, which will give me about 12 cords. That should last 4 years or so

I usually keep 2 stacked piles. Here's my pile that is all dried and ready to burn. I'll burn this wood this winter, and stack more here..

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that would be a great hobby for me ,
I need the exercise

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rev.
That pile of logs reminds me of when I skipped school and got caught...dad had a load of logs delivered and he had me cut and split all of it before I could begin my life again....

We used to follow the power line guys and we’d winch up whatever locust they felled...locust burns long and hot. Glad dad built a splitter.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes... I know the compulsion well. If a tree falls, it must be bucked and split!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
We used to follow the power line guys and we’d winch up whatever locust they felled...locust burns long and hot. Glad dad built a splitter.

Locust is crazy. I think it is second on the BTU per chord scale, just below Hop Hornbeam.

quote:
I think I am there. My neighbor is a tree guy and when working nearby will drop off. He delivered a few weeks ago and I turned this:

Excellent!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

House could be very poorly insulated, or perhaps they like it 90F inside.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Locust is crazy. I think it is second on the BTU per chord scale, just below Hop Hornbeam.

Did someboday say locust? Great stuff! (Photo from last winter)

-----------------------

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I am guessing you guys have a hydraulic splitter, surely you arent swinging a sledge/maul to split that quantity.
If not I dont want to arm wrestle or generally piss you guys off.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post