SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army worms!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army worms! Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted
I haven’t had these in years…don’t remember the last time in fact.

In one week my Bermuda lawn has gone from a lush green carpet to what looks like mid-winter kill.

Going out in a bit to get some treatment for it.

for those of you who have suffered these little bastards, what do you like to get rid of them?

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sisters fescue lawn went brown in about 3 days.
She had it treated afterwards but I read BugBGone will work.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spectracide granules. Simply spread and water in.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Liquid insecticide - bifenthrin, malathion or any of the synthetic pyrethroids or carbamates. 3 applications in 2 weeks (every 7 days).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^ I was in Lowes yesterday, they had a big stack right at the front door "This Product Kills Army Worms". Spectracide Triazicide. $7.48 for a bag.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^ I was in Lowes yesterday, they had a big stack right at the front door "This Product Kills Army Worms". Spectracide Triazicide. $7.48 for a bag.

Yup.

I saw three pallets at the front door today. All empty…all sold out.

I grabbed the last remaining broken bag of Scott’s summer guard they had at a discount. It probably won’t kill the active worms but it says it will prevent Army Worms larvae from hatching. I treated my front yard which is just beginning to get eaten.

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
They are absolute hell on a hay meadow.
I haven’t had any this year, but some neighbors have lost a good bit of their hay crops to them.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Until about a week ago, I had never heard of, or seen army worms. Then my yard seemed to turn brown in a couple days.
Called my lawn service, and they came and sprayed 40 gallons of talstar P on my yard.
Killed all the little bastards, but I won’t have to mow for a while. I’m damn sure going to watch for them next year.

Posts: 3241 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about lawn grubs?

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Are we talking about lawn grubs?
No. They’re larvae laid by moths, and when the little bastard worms hatch they start eating your lawn. They hatch on a schedule which is why you have to treat every week for successive hatchings.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

Nothing I’m about to tell you as an exaggeration in anyway.

Growing up in the 80s in Duluth Minnesota, the army words were so thick that they covered the whole sides of houses.

My grandpa would wrap trees in foil coated with cooking oil to try to keep them off of the trees.

In the middle of the summer, the city was running snow plows on the roads to clear them because cars were getting into accidents sliding on them like it was ice.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12345 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

The Scott’s Summerguard product kills them dead. I’ve got dead and dying army worms all over the sidewalks and driveways this morning.

Got my front yard saved before it was totally destroyed. Back yard is toast however. It even looks like toast.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Nothing I’m about to tell you as an exaggeration in anyway.

Growing up in the 80s in Duluth Minnesota, the army words were so thick that they covered the whole sides of houses.

My grandpa would wrap trees in foil coated with cooking oil to try to keep them off of the trees.

In the middle of the summer, the city was running snow plows on the roads to clear them because cars were getting into accidents sliding on them like it was ice
Bag worms in trees are different than the worms the OP is talking about in his lawn.

The moth that lays the larvae:

The worms in the grass:

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
UPDATE

The Scott’s Summerguard product kills them dead. I’ve got dead and dying army worms all over the sidewalks and driveways this morning.

Got my front yard saved before it was totally destroyed. Back yard is toast however. It even looks like toast.
If they're anything like the ones in Texas, it ain't over yet. You have to keep treating weekly to kill the subsequent hatchings.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Get some skunks... they will dig up those army worms and have a feast.....

Actually food grade diatomaceous earth which is harmless to pets and people will kill them, fleas, and other vermin dead.

Or use a product called Sevin it comes in a pesticide dust, a spray, etc...

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Be careful with Malathion. One of my uncles probably died from handling cotton that had been treated with it. Back in the 1960s not as much was known about its danger.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post