SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleep issues.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleep issues. Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
I have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I’m a light sleeper and if I happen to wake up sometime it takes me awhile to fall back asleep. Those of you who may have the same issues, do you have a routine you follow to help with better sleep? I have an overactive thyroid that I take medication for and have a follow up appointment regarding blood work and medication sometime soon but I’ve been dealing with these sleep issues my whole life. I’ll also add that I don’t want to take any medication that may put me in a too heavy sleep. As some of you know my wive was diagnosed with leukemia in August 2018 and she had a bone marrow transplant in March of 2019, so far, by the grace of GOD, the transplant has been a success but I’m afraid if I’m in too deep of a sleep I won’t wake up if she needs me.

Posts: 1784 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Exercise - as much as my physiology can handle.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law takes melatonin to help him fall asleep faster.

I hear that avoiding screens (blue light) at least an hour before bedtime also helps.

Fortunately for me, I’m the guy that falls asleep before the lightbulb cools off... However, I do wake frequently through out the night, but I go right back to sleep (most of the time).

Sorry to hear about your issue and I hope they can figure it out and help you with that.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Second the melatonin. It helps me fall asleep but doesn’t make groggy like an actual sleep aid.

You didn’t mention, but might want to see if sleep apnea is a possibility. I thought I was a “light sleeper” for years, but it was due to apnea waking me frequently.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
I've been through this, including extended bouts of insomnia (months). Go see a good psychiatrist who understands the causes and options. GP's mean well but most often they are not experts. The first question is if there is an underlying cause. If your mind is overactive with ruminating thoughts, you you need to slow that down a bit to fall and stay asleep. A very mild benzodiazepine anti-anxiety med might be just enough in a low dose. If there is no underlying anxiety, a hypnotic like Zolpidem (aka Ambien) may help).

Used correctly, neither of these will make you over tired or hung over in the morning as the older barbiturate sleeping meds would.

My opinion of melatonin is that supplements are of marginal value, and more likely to be effective via placebo effect.

Posts: 4963 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely get more than 2-3 hours sleep at a time, at best. I work all hours of the day and night, constantly switching time zones up to 18 hours away, and have zero consistent schedule. Consequently, no internal clock for sleep.

To increase the ability to sleep, isolate from light. The body is attuned to use light as an alarm clock. Minimal light, minimal distraction, helps.

Do not use chemical assistance to sleep.

Avoid stimulants within several hours of rest. Caffeine and other stimulants are not your friend when it comes to sleep.

Avoid stimulation prior to sleep. Internet, TV, anything with a screen. Avoid blue light.

A little background white noise often helps, so long as it doesn't distract.

Pick a happy place. Go sailing in the bahamas. Play cards. Wax a car. Just with your eyes closed and in your mind. Let go.

A good self-hypnosis or general hypnosis technique, that works well for relaxing to fall asleep, is focusing on one part of the body at a time and relaxing it. Start at your feet and work up, or your head and work down. Forehead, cheeks, lips and chin, neck, shoulders, one arm, then hand, then the other, etc.

Another simple practice is to imagine descending an escalator or elevator, slowly, with each level becoming a bit calmer, quieter, and closer to your ideal temperature, and focusing as you descend on relaxing a little more.

Focus on breathing.

Try for consistency. Try to fall asleep at the same time each day. Don't take stress or work to bed.

All this assumes you don't have an underlying psychological or physical/medical reason for the inability to sleep. If you do, then proper, competent authority is the best route to getting the rest you need.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Melatonin, for me, does not help me to fall asleep but it keeps me sleeping. If I cant turn my head off, I recall pleasant things for my childhood. I will travel back to my Grandparents home in KY and start in the front yard and walk slowly through each room of their house. This relaxes me. Sometimes I read for short time to relax me. It helps that where is live is very quiet and dark. My cat snoozing with me is relaxing too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
Everyone has posted some really good answers and I will add my own simple solution.

For years I struggled with laying in bed for hours before barely falling asleep and then waking up multiple times per night. I found out that my brain was listening for sounds as I was quieting down and I couldn't get my brain to slow down to fall asleep. I started using high quality ear plugs to stop the sensory input to my ears and this has worked tremendously.
I started using them only when there was noise or my wife's snoring got too bad and I started falling asleep almost instantly. Every time I didn't use ear plugs, I lay in bed for hours trying to fall asleep. Every time I DID use plugs, I was asleep in a handful of minutes.

It took the reduction of sound inputs into my brain to get it to quiet down enough to allow me to fall asleep. If my alarm is in the same room, I can still hear it. I can also hear when the kids or wife need something. I use them every night now. Here is a link to the ones I use. They are super comfy for long term use.
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-...id=1614518559&sr=8-2

Maybe try an easy non-chemical sleep aid first?

Posts: 2162 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've been sleeping with earbuds and the audio at a super low setting. White noise or ambient helps for me. Been about 4 years now.
I also use my phone as my alarm so the alarm sounds through the earbuds.

Posts: 7451 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Can melatonin be used nightly for the long-term or should use be limited to some duration?

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Quite a good number of people get sleepy after taking a Benadryl. That's how Nyquil helps you sleep.

Be sure you take a Benadryl only, not one of those multipurpose meds with other ingredients.

Try taking one 30 minutes before bedtime.

Generic is just fine for this.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I feel ya. I work nights. For the last few months I haven’t slept for shit. Current cycle is three or four days of not enough sleep, and then being up 24+ hours and finally crashing at day 5 or 6 and sleeping 10-12 hours.

I fell asleep at 06:15 or so. Just woke up at 09:00. Last night was my first night back for the week, but between nights and days I’ve had one fully off since February 13th. But I was still on call. And I’m not off til Friday.

Melatonin, muscle relaxer for my back, beer, sleep machine, blackout curtains, CPAP...none of it works. My sleep cycle is FUBAR’ed. I’ve gained ten pounds. Hell, fifteen. Only relief is I’m guaranteed to come off nights by mid-May.

Good luck.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
They say sleep is the biggest thing disrupted since covid started. So you are in a large group

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Sometimes melatonin can help me. I used to try Tylenol PM but my goodness then I had a really hard time waking up in the morning.

Listening to relaxing music via ear buds often helps me too. Beethoven symphony or piano concerto I find very relaxing.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've never had sleep issues but what I have read about them generally says they're caused by stress or bad sleep habits or both.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I completely sympathize with you techguy. I have dealt with sleep issues pretty much my whole life. I can’t really add any more advice that others haven’t passed along, but one warning. Drugs like Ambien can be habit forming. You can very easily get dependent on them for sleep. Before long you won’t be able to sleep a wink without it. I was stuck on Ambien for years before being weened off it. Good luck

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I started having trouble falling/staying asleep about 6 months ago. Here's what worked for me:

1) Exercise every day.

2) Drink a cup of hot chamomile/sleepytime tea (caffeine free, of course) about 30 minutes before bed.

3) No electronics at bedtime.

4) Melatonin as needed.

I don't take Melatonin every night. Just as needed (every few days initially, and maybe once every couple weeks now). I keep a bottle of quick-dissolve tablets next to the bed. If I've laid in bed without falling asleep for 30 minutes or so, or if I wake up in the middle of the night (12/1/2 am) and can't get back to sleep, I stick one under my tongue. Within about 15 minutes, I'm out.

The above has drastically improved my sleep. I rarely have trouble falling asleep now, and rarely wake up in the middle of the night any more. In fact, I've started naturally waking up a little before my alarm in the morning, and feel well-rested when I do.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What's your diet like?

I've had sleep issues my whole life. As a child, falling (jumping) out of bed onto the floor nightly. Sleep walking, talking, insomnia, always trouble falling asleep, night terrors for about a year and a half in my 20s, and throughout it, from a small child to my late 40's, the inability to wake up. Always like a zombie in the morning.

In recent years I cut carbs way way back, mostly gave up sugar and sugary drinks. (as a side effect caffeine went with it) Blood levels better, weight loss, and I fall asleep fast and wake right up in the morning. No more tossing and turning, no more groggy zombie in the morning like I was my whole life.

(i've done a 180 sleep wise, I couldn't fall asleep or wake up. Now I do both easily. But "middle age" and pain from laying in one position wake me up)

Posts: 21383 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I have a daydream I play through my head. It's a story that I'm in of a time in my life and I just play through scenarios that I make up. It really helps putting me to sleep.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post