SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How accurate are consumer PulseOx meters?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How accurate are consumer PulseOx meters? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I’ve been watching my Oxygen saturation with a $27 pulseox meter. My range has been all over the place. From 97 to 87. If I get a number and take the meter off and put it back on it gives a completely different reading.

I’m going to do it now as I’m writing this post. First number is SpO2, second number is pulse.
96/98
91/93
94/97
87/95
98/55

How am I supposed to trust this thing? I don’t feel any different whether it’s low or high.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my father and I had COVID we bought one from Walgreens and was told that they are just as accurate as the professional one. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought the same one my doctor's office uses. I don't know accurate it is, but it is repeatable: Zacurate Pro Series 500DL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter (Yeah, Amazon. Sorry. That's where I had to go to get what I wanted.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are reasonably accurate

Posts: 1745 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Why do I consistently get seemingly random numbers??

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It isnt a consistent measurement.

I give blood every few months for diabetes and they always put one on my finger. I put mine next to it and they get very similar readings.

I had them score in the 80's and the nurse said, take a few deep breaths. and that sucker shot right back up.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
They are a good for a quick look. Fingernail polish, fingernail thickness, dehydration, battery power, can all affect its accuracy.

Also, poor circulation, or "cold" fingers will affect it.

Ensure it is all the way, firmly on your finger, same spot each time, should be fairly accurate and consistent.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Why do I consistently get seemingly random numbers??

You're not looking to get a precise number from these (even the expensive ones in the doctor's office), you're looking to get a relative indication.

Movement, change in positioning of the meter on your finger, using a different finger, your circulation, body temperature, and probably numerous other factors can impact the reading.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of different brands last year, they were cheap and didn't work well so I took them back and got refunded. After a little research I bought the Innovo brand from Amazon. It has been working fine and agrees with my doctor's meter. I paid around $30 for it last year.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Even hospital ones are +/- 2-3%. Important to take a few readings on multiple fingers to see what the trend is. Some ppl take the first reading that comes up. And that’s usually fine on a healthy person with no problems. But it’s important to compare it against another.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too bought the Innovo brand. I checked it next to two different Doctor's meters and it agreed every time.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
FYI, I use the pulse oximeter on my Samsung Galaxy using the Samsung Health app. I've never used a iPhone so I'm not sure if they have something similar. I get different reading dependent on whether I'm breathing through my nose or mouth.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

I had them score in the 80's and the nurse said, take a few deep breaths. and that sucker shot right back up.

This makes sense. One time I was getting an MRI or something similar but the nurse had to inject me with something. She said I was going to feel a cold sensation.

Within seconds, my whole body was feeling it. I remarked at how fast it was and I didn't expect it to happen that quickly and she said, "that's why people inject themselves with drugs It's the fast reaction of your blood stream."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It actually measures the color of blood, since it's not like blood sugar requiring a sample. Anything that can change that can and will. Light transmittance thru your skin can be altered slightly which will affect the reading.

Just did the left index vs right and got 97/71 vs 95/72. And like, cmon man it's all the same blood, right? Well, first and second indication, one finger colder - less blood circulation - one finger with a 5 stitch scar line had the higher O2, left vs right handed.

It reads the color shift of the little red LED and what gets bounced back, I could see any surface contamination that changes color would be possible to change the O2 reading.

Anyone try their big toe?

Paint your finger with Sharpy and try it, post the results. (No, but its a thought.)

If you get a consistent 87 or below, medical attention is needed Im told. The wife was working with an end of life patient at home and the O2 was a necessity a few times a day in maintaining proper care.

Don't let the Lazyboy eat you and you don't have to check. Two more trees to cut down for landscaping should round out my week. I already hedge trimmed the big grass, I need to split wood Saturday (wood lot sold larger than normal splits from 50" trunks) and State taxes need doing. Thats how you stay in shape when you are retired.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found the cheaper meters to be less accurate.

Dad had one for his heart issues. It was one of the more common designs -- spring loaded to clamp on the fingertip, took the reading from your fingernail. They generally cost $15 to $25. I bought one from Walgreens to see the results during my daily bicycle workout. It wouldn't reliably read pulse rates over 120. As I regularly push to a pulse of 150, sometimes 160, that was a problem. Oxygen readings were all over the place, too.

I returned the unit to Walgreens and upgraded to one the reads off the skin of my fingertip. I don't recall the brand, but it cost a little less than $100. Readings seem to be accurate. Pulse rates are indicated in bands of 3 or 4 bpm on my higher end. Meaning that I get 144, 147, 151, 154 bpm, but not rates in between. With pulse rates below 100 bpm, the increments are 1 or 2 bpm

Oxygen rates go in single digits -- 99, 98, 97, etc. I ride in 2-3 minute sprints, then often check pulse & oxygen. 98 and 99 is normal, if I'm riding well. On days that I feel just a bit off, or push a bit too hard, oxygen levels drop to 97 or 96 and I feel it.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I flipped my finger around so that the nail is on the little light instead of my fingerprint.

94/94
95/95
95/96

But that doesn’t mesh with the manual.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
As usually happens, take an aggregate of forum member's responses and you can get pretty dialed in on the truth of a matter.

O2 levels vary. Positioning of the meter affects the reading, as well.

Proove this to yourself with a few quick tests.

Pinch the unit tighter on your finger, check the level. Relax the pressure and check it. Slide it up and down, switch it to different fingers, check the readings.

Try this one. Place the unit on your finger, hold your breath and watch the number slowly fall. Take a baseline reading, then take several fast deep breaths, and watch the number climb. Take a baseline reading, then do some quick physical activity, walk quickly around your house or jog in place for a minute, and watch the number increase.

You're getting a real time number, within the error accuracy range of the meter, and that number can change very quickly depending on the O2 levels at that moment.

The trick is consistent placement and pressure of the meter, and sometimes averaging the readings.

Now, the plethysmograph can be off by quite a bit, depending on certain health issues.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I bought the same one my doctor's office uses. I don't know accurate it is, but it is repeatable: Zacurate Pro Series 500DL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter (Yeah, Amazon. Sorry. That's where I had to go to get what I wanted.)

At a checkup a while back I asked the nurse about the device she was using. Her response: "It does okay. I got it on Amazon...." Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I have 2 of those. They're good.

I HAD a Walgreens branded unit when I got Covid and it was showing me at a 94-95%. Turns out that one was defective, my O2 level was actually at 86-87%. So I trashed it when I found out.

Then, due to a weird side effect of Covid, I ended up with a couple more, the RN had me buy the Innovo brand, also available on Amazon.

Screw the money, buy one or 2 more and compare them. Your O2 level can and will fluctuate, but you want a unit or 2 that agree with each other and that they are accurate enough. Try to get by your Doc's office to have them compare theirs against yours.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The new Apple Watch 6 and 7 have quite a bit of medical/health monitoring capabilities, exercise to oxygen content.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211027

You can setup the Health app to monitor specific things, and to notify you of the results or abnormalities.

It also has a fall sensor, you've probably seen the ads on TV, you fall, don't respond and it notifies 911

For the money, it's a pretty good deal, and you can tell time... Big Grin

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post