SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas Boy Scout dies of apparent heatstroke on backpack trip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Boy Scout dies of apparent heatstroke on backpack trip Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
It has been record-breaking heat hereabouts. It was 104 yesterday.

My heart goes out to this young man's family. Stay hydrated, folks.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/loc...ource=mobilesharebar

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Truly a sad loss.

I will keep my Health/Safety comments to myself for now.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad story. I could not imagine how the family is feeling and nor would I want to. A loss like this would kill me.

Posts: 7057 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunate and heartbreaking video but, preventable.

Backpacking in 100+ heat, that's on the parents who supervised the trip. Movement in that kind of heat is a no-go, you seek shelter during the day and if you need to make milage, you do it at night.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
So sad.

Today my 14 year olds are playing all day baseball tourny. Hot and muggy here...I filled the Yeti with Gatorade and Water.

An hour in I check the cooler, son#1 had drank a full gatorade already, son#2 said, "I'm not thirsty". He knows better....

Made him down a full water bottle in front of me, bootcamp style. (hold it over your head upside down when it is gone) and threatened to do it with again with a larger gatorade bottle if there was not a dent put into it within the next 45 minutes.

As parents/teachers/coaches/scout leaders/etc, we are responsible for teaching our kids about hydration. Both during the event, and the hours leading up to it.

Without knowing more about the story that the OP posted, I cannot judge anyone. But I can tell you for damn sure that if I am leading a group of kids anywhere and it is HOT outside, not a damn one of them will go down with heat-stroke.

I am very angry about what happened to that young man, it was likely preventable.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
That is just awful judgement by the adults on scene, absolutely preventable.

Outside of war, I cannot see why that is necessary in 104 degree weather.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I agree that this was probably preventable. Buffalo Trails is located at the northern end of the Chihuahuan Desert. June is typically our hottest month. I'm surprised that scout leaders okayed the idea to make a backpack trip there at this time of year. I'd guess that Scout Ranch policy will be changed as a result of this.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrible. And preventable.

Every Scout camp- or campout I've ever been to, every adult is always saying drink some water. The. Drink some more. Hydrate or die. Also teach your kids to look at the color of their pee. Artichoke/asparagus dinner excepted, your pee should be clear. When it's yellowish or worse you need to get a lot more water in you

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll withhold judgment on the scout leaders until details emerge. Hiking may have been his only option. We're they actually hiking at that time? Was it a really slow or injured boy who was late getting into camp at 4 pm? In all my adult leader days and 50 milers, I've planned to have the strenuous hiking down before noon.

Sad day for sure.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
One of our graduated seniors passed away at Kent State from the heat this week.
http://wktn.com/local-news/309799

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5716 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I'll withhold judgment on the scout leaders until details emerge. Hiking may have been his only option. We're they actually hiking at that time? Was it a really slow or injured boy who was late getting into camp at 4 pm? In all my adult leader days and 50 milers, I've planned to have the strenuous hiking down before noon.

Sad day for sure.

I'm with you on withholding judgement until further details emerge. Sad day indeed. I ALWAYS had to push the hydration on my Scouts. As they got a little older some learned to do it themselves.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
105 here today, 109 tomorrow and between 113 and 117 between Monday and Friday of next week

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53785 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We watched our scouts like hawks when we were in the heat. Each kid had to carry a water bottle or canteen with water in it, and we made sure they drank.

I am sorry for the boy's death.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hydration is important but, so is leadership. Was it smart to go out there, 100+ degrees, carrying a load for X-number of miles? Did the Scoutmaster simply think as long as everyone is drinking, they'll be fine? Perhaps this kid had a unknown medical condition, either way...I'm looking at the parental supervision of this troop and their Scoutmasters.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Hydration is important but, so is leadership. Was it smart to go out there, 100+ degrees, carrying a load for X-number of miles? Did the Scoutmaster simply think as long as everyone is drinking, they'll be fine? Perhaps this kid had a unknown medical condition, either way...I'm looking at the parental supervision of this troop and their Scoutmasters.

Or the boy or boys ventured off on their own. I remember ignoring much of the advice my scoutmaster offered.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Dehydration is not the only thing that can cause heat stroke. It’s important, but so is knowledge and not thinking, “They’re drinking plenty of water, so everyone’s okay.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post