SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Deer ZTrack Z525E OK or not OK?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Deer ZTrack Z525E OK or not OK? Login/Join 
Picture of MWills
posted
I'm retired, 62 years old with COPD. The last five years my neighbor has been mowing my lawn and does a good job. He charges $30 per and usually mows anywhere from 3 to 4 times per month. I tell him just mow mine when you mow your own. I don't have any complaints with this set up. It usually takes the neighbor about 20 minutes with a zero turn mower. (SCAG
think) Total cost last year was $1100 including fertilizing and weed control chemicals.

Now, I have another friend who wants to sell a 2016 John Deer ZTrak Z525E. 52 inch cut, 22hp gas motor, 32 hrs on the meter. Asking $3200. Cost new looks to have been around $4000.

Does anyone have any experience with this mower? What are your thoughts on durability? Any other recommendations?

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Hustler Raptor SD Zero Turn this week and did a lot of research on the forum below:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/forum.php

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider - is the COPD stable? You might be able to run a mower now, but might not be able to do so in a couple of years.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I bought a Z445 in 2011, best lawn investment I ever made. Once you go zero turn a tractor is obsolete.

Posts: 468 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a used low hours JD Z445 two years ago. 25hp with a 60 inch deck. It cuts great and I can mow my 1.5 acres in half the time it took with a garden tractor with a 60 inch deck.

I'm a few years older than you and mowing, fertilizing and applying weed control products is not as much fun as it was 40 years ago.

Your total cost of $1100 annually sure looks great to me!

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much of the $1100 is fertilizer and weed chemicals and their application? You will still spend that money so you won't save the whole $1100 by mowing it yourself. What about maintenance cost on the mower if you own it?

Posts: 1504 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
How much of the $1100 is fertilizer and weed chemicals and their application? You will still spend that money so you won't save the whole $1100 by mowing it yourself.

That is a once per year cost share of $80. I buy the chemicals and neighbor applies them to both of our lawns.

quote:
What about maintenance cost on the mower if you own it?

I'm hoping some of the good people here can give me an idea of the cost of maintaining this mower as well as reliability and expected longevity. As I understand it John Deer Co. doesn't manufacture their line of residential equipment. This being the case, is the quality still there or do I just go to wal-mart and buy a Muray?

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWills:
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
How much of the $1100 is fertilizer and weed chemicals and their application? You will still spend that money so you won't save the whole $1100 by mowing it yourself.

That is a once per year cost share of $80. I buy the chemicals and neighbor applies them to both of our lawns.

quote:
What about maintenance cost on the mower if you own it?

I'm hoping some of the good people here can give me an idea of the cost of maintaining this mower as well as reliability and expected longevity. As I understand it John Deer Co. doesn't manufacture their line of residential equipment. This being the case, is the quality still there or do I just go to wal-mart and buy a Muray?

JD manufacturers the mowing equipment that are sold by JD dealers in a Wis. plant.MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post