New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Doris Day Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“LOS ANGELES (AP) — Doris Day, whose wholesome screen presence stood for a time of innocence in ‘60s films, has died, her foundation says. She was 97.

The Doris Day Animal Foundation confirmed Day died early Monday at her Carmel Valley, California, home. The foundation says in an emailed statement she was surrounded by close friends and “had been in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia.”

She was known for her honey-voiced singer and actress whose film dramas, musicals and innocent sex comedies made her a top star in the 1950s and ‘60s and among the most popular screen actresses in history.

Day’s lilting voice, wholesome blond beauty and ultra-bright smile brought her a string of hits, first on records, later in Hollywood.

She celebrated her 97th birthday on April 3.”

https://apnews.com/b9a04d9ab2ce4276b2f6bdb6b39af585

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Wow I had no idea she was still with us. RIP Doris.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8540 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers up.
I didn’t care for her romantic comedies, just not my taste. I did enjoy her in “The Man Who Knew Too Much” Good show for me.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26521 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a 15 minute Youtube clip when she was a guest on Johnny Carson. It is a little slow but demonstrates what a nice person she was. Also, she is 52 years old at this time. About half the comments on it were obviously written by junior high school boys. She is/was a class act!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7-3wAyQFQ

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Listen to her sing "shoo fly pie" with Stan Kenton. Sexy voice. Her vibrato and phrasing kill me.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
RIP to a very classy lady and great talent.

Posts: 22953 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if there is anything this world could use more of , it's more Doris Day's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54715 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I see a Doris Day film festival in my wife's near future, on a rainy Saturday. RIP and thank you, ma'am.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Que Sera, Sera is the only song ever to hit #1 on the billboard charts by a leading actress in a feature film. One of many notables about Doris Day.

RIP Dear Lady and thanks for being such a great contributor to the Hollywood of yesteryear.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the '60's wife would drag me to local Drive In in Diana FLA to view Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies. She loved those movies.

And I loved the couple of quarts of Schlitz beer I brought along.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Long a favorite of mine, she was one of the last of a diminishing breed of classy actresses. RIP

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a young boy, I had the worst crush on Doris Day!! To me, she was beautiful, and wholesome.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at the photos through the years, she was quite attractive. I do remember a joke, however, but not who told it about a man, who went berserk and embarked on a killing spree, murdering ten or more women, after being forced to sit through a Doris Day film festival. Then there was Oscar Levant, who once remarked, that his doctor forbid him from seeing Doris Day movies because he was diabetic.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I wonder if she ever went "Yuck" and wiped her mouth hard after kissing Rock Hudson.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

IMO, one of the most attractive actresses in Hollywood history. And one of the classiest.

R.I.P.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Listen to her sing "shoo fly pie" with Stan Kenton. Sexy voice. Her vibrato and phrasing kill me.
I think that was June Christy.

She's def before my time, but Doris Day seemed a very pleasant person. I know animal welfare was an important issue to her. God rest her soul.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
When I was a young boy, I had the worst crush on Doris Day!! To me, she was beautiful, and wholesome.

Me, too.

Posts: 11342 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She was on the Johnny Carson show last night,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7-3wAyQFQ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54715 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She was from Cincy, Oh.

She was good friends with Rock Hudson.

I read somewhere a long time ago that she was the image she portrayed on camera.

She was good looking!

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post