SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So more retirement thoughts and a question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So more retirement thoughts and a question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
For those both retired and those going to retire in the next one to three years.

The question: Realistically, how cheap do you plan to live in retirement?

Let's visit some parameters

1. No mortgagee or no new home or relocation planned.
2. Figure a 25 year retirement.
3. no car payment
4. Spouse
5. Basic expense's
6. Live in the bottom third of the cost of living geographically.
7. figure 15% of your income for travel and fun expense's
8. Insurance will be one you.

How much will you need monthly (before taxes) to meet your needs? Include your combined SS benefit figured at 62.

Everyone says you will spend more in retirement. A lot more.

What are you thinking?

I know healthcare is always mentioned and is the huge unknown. We all know that, so lets not disregard it. But no need to bring it up as we know it and just figure it in to your calculations when you respond.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
1. It's small I will pay it off maybe (VRB).
2. Or less.
3. For sure!
4. Still got one. (didn't plan on "Till death you part taking that long")
5. Actually less than when working, gas, insurance.
6. Already there.
7. At least, and still save! (Always paid me first.)
8. Yes.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am somewhat confused on how one cannot bring up healthcare. It literally dwarfs everything if you are in the 62-65 yo range. In my State a realistic plan is a touch under 3K/month and if one uses the system and pays the plan deductibles, out of pocket, not covered and all that the annual cost are probably capped at $45-50K ish. Everything else given your criteria will be way, way less than that. And if you saved for retirement via a 401K,403b etc. that is the aftertax cost. so you have to pay yourself something on the order of $80K just to have health coverage.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much will you need monthly (before taxes) to meet your needs? Include your combined SS benefit figured at 62.

Hrcjon, We know about the unknown of HC. Right. I said figure it in to you calculations. We do not all need to hear every member say what you did. We know it and in every thread it is brought up. So just figure it in.

We are all going to die. Some are going to die saying "I cannot retire because I have no idea how much health care cost." We got that.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post