SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Newly discovered MH 370 crash debris reveals new details
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newly discovered MH 370 crash debris reveals new details Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
I thought I recalled there being a much longer thread on this crash, but no luck finding it... think it was pruned before the new policy.

A different article mentions that the fisherman's wife, not knowing what it was, was using this trunnion door as a washing board for a while.

[Note: several hyperlinks found at linked website article.]

===============

DEBRIS FIND SHEDS NEW LIGHT ON MH370’S FINAL MOMENTS

By Geoffrey ThomasDecember 12, 2022

Blaine Gibson (Centre) with friend Rija and fisherman Tataly.

MH370’s final moments have been brought into sharp focus with the discovery of a new piece of debris, giving major clues to the final tragic moments of the Boeing 777 that was lost in 2014 with all 239 aboard.

The piece was discovered in a fisherman’s backyard and was found washed ashore on the Antsiraka Peninsula South Beach in Madagascar in March 2017 after tropical storm Fernando had passed by.

The debris item had barnacles on it when it was found and in total four items of MH370 debris have been found on the same beach. The location was predicted by the University of Western Australia (UWA) oceanographic model.

According to a new report by Richard Godfrey and Blaine Gibson, published today, the piece “is likely the remnant of the left main landing gear trunnion door” and is almost certain to be from MH370.

The significance of the find of the landing trunnion gear door is the damage to BOTH sides of the door which indicates that the landing gear was highly likely to be extended on impact.

Commenting on the new paper, Peter Foley the former ATSB MH370 project manager stated: “This may well be different as it may tell us the position of the landing gear. Very important as it may significantly add to the understanding of what happened at the end.”

According to the Godfrey-Gibson report “the level of damage with fractures on all sides and the extreme force of the penetration right through the debris item lead to the conclusion that the end of the flight was in a high-speed dive designed to ensure the aircraft broke up into as many pieces as possible. The crash of MH370 was anything but a soft landing on the ocean.”

Expert analysis has shown that the flaps were not extended as would be the case for sea ditching.

“We know from the analysis of the right outboard flap found on Kojani Island, Tanzania that this was not an attempted ditching, where the flaps would normally be extended because the expert analysis showed that the flaps were not extended. The realistic possibility that the landing gear was lowered shows both an active pilot and an attempt to ensure the plane sank as fast as possible after impact,” the report said.

Godfrey-Gibson adds that “the recovered 370 floating debris speaks to how the plane crashed, and the oceanographic drift analysis speaks to where. Neither can tell us who was flying the aircraft or why.”

All told 36 pieces of debris have been found and delivered to the Malaysian authorities for investigation, although official reports are still awaited for three items. Altogether 19 items of debris probably originating from MH370 have been found washed ashore in Madagascar, which is situated in the Indian Ocean at the latitudes where the South Equatorial Current interacts with the island.

Separately Mr Godfrey has used revolutionary WSPRnet tracking technology to pinpoint the final resting place of MH370. You can read his latest report here.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
So the suspicion is raised that the aircraft was crashed intentionally like Germanwings Flight 9525?

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
So the suspicion is raised that the aircraft was crashed intentionally like Germanwings Flight 9525?

Based on evidence that was available from the beginning about the flight path, failure to respond to radio calls, etc., that has always seemed obvious to me. The Malaysian government was hesitant to admit the high probability of that’s being the case, and partially for understandable reasons, but I don’t see how anyone can come up with a plausible alternative explanation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not really sure how anyone could reasonably come to any other conclusion outside the "well it's possible" scenario. Of course it was intentional. Everything pointed to intentional act.

This "discovery" doesn't really mean shit. So the killer dropped the gear and flew at high speed into the water. As opposed to flying at low speed and stalling it into the water. Or rolling inverted and pulling. When you crash hundreds of miles out at sea you are going to die either way.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It disappeared into Don Lemon's black hole.

What?

He's the one who said it: https://www.theatlantic.com/in...plane-theory/359382/

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they used particle board on an air plane landing gear door.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Of course it was intentional? Hmmm. Well, I can certainly imagine other scenarios that don't involve an intentional criminal act.

If they had never discovered the "black boxes" from Air France Flight 447, many would still believe today that that was possibly an intentional act. No one likely could've imagined that the Air France co-pilot would have kept pulling back on his joystick stalling the plane at over 38,000 feet and never realizing it until it was far too late. Saying it was definitely an intentional act...I'm not willing to say that. We just don't know and will unfortunately likely never know.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

I don't think that's what we're looking at, there.

Whatever the skin material, beneath it is generally honeycomb core. When new, it looks like this:

After years in the ocean and years more being used as an islander's washboard, it might just look like what's in the photo. Aircraft composites are all about strength to weight ratio, and while particle board is a composite and pretty strong stuff, it's not light. The 787 is mostly carbon fiber, so I highly doubt Boeing has used particle board in any modern aircraft. I could be wrong, but let's just say I have an inside source on this.

Posts: 17150 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Looks that particle board in the picture to me.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks that particle board in the picture to me.

It's severely compressed.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
It's severely compressed.

Like particle board?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Is it really that important? If you think it's particle board, then, it's particle board.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Guess not but when I see particle board I think boats not air planes.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Didn't they find a flight sim at the pilot's home with a "Get lost so nobody can ever find the wreckage" flight plan?. Or was that story debunked. . .?

Also, why would the gear be down if he purposefully crashed it?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
To allow water to more quickly enter the fuselage.

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

The linked story mentioned it may because it would have caused the plane to break up and / or sink faster.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I don't think that's what we're looking at, there.

Whatever the skin material, beneath it is generally honeycomb core.

After years in the ocean and years more being used as an islander's washboard, it might just look like what's in the photo. Aircraft composites are all about strength to weight ratio, and while particle board is a composite and pretty strong stuff, it's not light. The 787 is mostly carbon fiber, so I highly doubt Boeing has used particle board in any modern aircraft. I could be wrong, but let's just say I have an inside source on this.

Is the honeycomb super compressed between the skin? Just curious thinking about the pressure changes in the atmosphere, if you know.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Maybe global warming caused it. Or not

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Here's a piece of debris thought to be from MH370 from a few years ago, showing more clearly the underlying honeycomb structure...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Thanks!