SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why did we loose our fur?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why did we loose our fur? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Two possibilities:

Natural selection
Sexual selection

Those are the same thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
The GF hasn't quite lost all of hers.
Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
As I get older I'm losing hair...but on my arms, legs, underarms. Weird. Thankfully my head still has a pretty good crop.

I hate you.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My family was always bare skinned, not fur covered.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Why did we lose our fur?

Some of us didn't.

So you're Italian?

Italian joke.

Q - Why do Italian men grow a moustache?

A - So they can look more like their mother.

tac

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why did we lose our fur?

Some of us didn't.

My three year old calls it my "Daddy fur." Because "Dads have fur. Some day, I will have Daddy fur. When I'm bigger and bigger." Big Grin

Somehow, it stings less than someone else calling me furry, lol. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
All this links our loss of fur with our increased ability to swear.

Sure does! Big Grin

Sorry, I know it was a typo, it was just too funny and applicable in the natural state. Smile

But yes, increased brain mass led to other changes in the body to accommodate. You touched on the high points, and I forget the specifics, but this was the explanation I was given in college anthropology classes. The larger brain wound up being the more valuable adaptation, and was selected for. Thus, big brains, small mouths and teeth, no fur.

Tied in with all that is fire and cooking. With cooked foods, we didn't have to chew so hard, and the skull shape started to change to support larger brains with smaller attachment points on the skull for jaw muscles. We also didn't need such large, broad and flat teeth so our teeth got smaller and our dentition more varied and suited to an omnivore diet, but smaller teeth still than other omnivores because of cooking. We started to evolve rapidly once we lost our Sagittal crest, and the fur went somewhere in there.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
We still have a nub of a tail, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
God works in mysterious ways:

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
quote:
quote:
Why did we lose our fur?

Some of us didn't.

So you're Italian?

Or an Arab. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
This thread turned out not to be what I thought.

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkyOtter:
This thread turned out not to be what I thought.

Her tail would be in the way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Well...there have been exceptions...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertrichosis#

Alice E. Doherty...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Wasn't that an X-Files episode?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We still have the fur. Individual hairs are smaller, finer, microscopic. We're really quite robust compared to a lot of other mammals. Stong bones that don't shatter as easy as horses and many other animals. Better endurance. Can tolerate more lactic acid buildup.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Two possibilities:

Natural selection
Sexual selection

They're not. One is "did you survive long enough to reproduce?", the other is "did anyone want to reproduce with you?".

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can have your fur. I want feathers. Wings. I would love to be able to fly!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
As I get older I'm losing hair...but on my arms, legs, underarms. Weird. Thankfully my head still has a pretty good crop.

I hate you.

Cool

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Two possibilities:

Natural selection
Sexual selection

They're not. One is "did you survive long enough to reproduce?", the other is "did anyone want to reproduce with you?".

An answer of "no" to either is an evolutionary dead end which is in fact natural selection.......so both are in fact the same.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Two possibilities:

Natural selection
Sexual selection

An answer of "no" to either is an evolutionary dead end which is in fact natural selection.......so both are in fact the same.

They are same in that they are both "selection", but it says that right in the name. That's why there's the modifier in front. Natural selection is simply about survival. People often expand that definition to include all selection, and all evolutionary drivers, but that is incorrect.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just the big brain and opposable thumbs.

Apes have opposable thumbs. And sometimes I'm not too sure about the big brains.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post