SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dumb q: battery health and battery tender
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb q: battery health and battery tender Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Dumb q: is it possible for the battery tender to indicate fully charged but for the battery actually be unhealthy / near end of life?

Or will the tender indicate something less than fully charged as the health of the battery degrades over time? Ie - time to replace the battery as the tender can no longer provide service.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cheaper battery-tender type devises are usually poor judges of battery health - they can tell if a cell is completely shorted, that's about it.

It's possible for a battery to come to full voltage, but not handle a load very well. That will confuse most chargers that can't do a load test and also some that do a load test will give 'charge battery & repeat test' results multiple times.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
is it possible for the battery tender to indicate fully charged but for the battery actually be unhealthy / near end of life?

Yes

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
As others have said, yes a Battery tender can show a green light but the battery is done. Many of the better "tenders" will do more testing and are better at maintaining a battery. I like the stuff from CTEK.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for. The dumbest of tenders are basically trickle chargers that don't do anything else. At the high end, some of them are wifi connected and have pretty good analytics and logging.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have both Battery Tender and CTEK branded tenders. At least the CTEK (which seems a little more sophisticated), if it shows fully charged, can I assume that the battery is still healthy?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Typically, no.

Think of a battery as having 4 parameters that vary with use and age.

First is state of discharge, or how "full" a battery is. For most batteries, voltage serves as a good proxy to measure the state of discharge on a battery. A trickle charger uses voltage to determine when the battery is full and the cutoff for charging, if any.

Second, how much current that the battery can provide, or how much "oomph" a battery can kick out. To test this, you need something that can pull the current until the battery suffers some threshold voltage loss. For something like a car battery, which is designed to provide many hundreds of amps, you measure the current while the battery is attached to something that can pull a correspondingly large amount of current. For example, you measure the current while the motor is cranking.

Third is capacity, or how much storage the battery has. To measure this, you have to charge the battery to it's max and then drain the battery under a constant load and read how much electricity has been consumed when the battery hits empty.

Lastly is self discharge or how long the battery can hold a charge.

A healthy car battery should have good performance for all 4 of those parameters. I am unaware of any consumer car battery trickle charger that is able to monitor and verify all 4 parameters above. And certainly not for less than a couple hundred bucks. Most chargers only look at voltage to determine a cut off for charging. Some "smarter" chargers will measure resistance (likely, I've not really looked into it) to determine if a battery needs a "disulfication" cycle (pegging the battery with ultra fast bursts of high voltage to shake the sulfide? ions back into the electrolyte). But to determine battery health, you'll need something that can also measure max current and capacity.

I have smart chargers for my AA and AAA batteries that can do current and capacity testing, but we're talking little batteries with discharge in fractions of an amp.

For a car battery, I think the best single indicator for health would be to measure the cranking amps it can provide. This is what the auto parts stores test when they test your battery. AGM batteries have a gradual reduction in cranking power as they age. Regular lead acid batteries have a steeper drop off, so you can really only get a go/no-go status from those.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, if it's a major issue they will show a warning, but not always.
If it isn't reaching full charge but has been on for enough time to be full charged, disconnected and check with a voltmeter. Leave the charger off and see if it continues to drop below 12.6 or so a few hours later.
Also, how old is the battery and how many months was it rated for? That's usually a pretty good indicator of how long it will last.

Posts: 9444 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Tenders/chargers do go bad, too. Had a green light on a bike one winter, tender wasnt functioning right. Battery had frozen and was stone dead. That tender WAS probably at least 10 years old.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
What type of battery? Traditional Flooded or AGM?
There is a trick to charging an AGM battery....

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Okay - so answer is no and if I want to better understand battery likelihood of failure at the most inopportune time, get a CCA test at a local auto parts store.

Usually my batteries last about 2 years (before tenders). This is one going on 4-5 years (w/ use of tenders). But it seems like it's getting more difficult to start the car -- it starts but seems like it takes more cranks / effort.

posted Hide Post
That's probably your sign time to replace

Posts: 1389 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I generally have a good record with batteries. With the cycle & power sport types I rotate in a maintainer at times, depending on frequency of use.

My Wife drives a Honda CRV, averages shorter trips. The original battery lasted the shortest I’ve ever seen a factory battery go bad, 2.5 years or less.

It has a better battery now. If it’s in the garage at times I may just put the charger on it for a handful of hours.

Just talked to my sister today, she has zero mechanical ability, about a 3 y/o Subaru. I kid you not, she just had the 4th factory battery installed. She has some kind of extended warranty. She has some type of parasite draw, may or maybe not her doing.

She lives by herself 5 States away, usually doesn’t want my advice anyway.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you don't have one, get an inexpensive digital voltmeter.
When it seems hard to start, check the battery voltage. Your problem could be the starter, a ground, cables or some other issue.

Posts: 9444 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If a battery is left on a tender long term and seldom used, the charger needs to be at least smart enough to stop when the battery is fully charged, restarting when the battery gets below a certain level. Simply leaving even a very low amp charger on will cook the battery in a month or less.

Posts: 27810 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I prefer the BatteryMinder brand, as they have built in desulfation.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

These are good, but pricey! Many folks at Our Little Airport use them for aircraft batteries. I used one for the V-Tail, needed to keep the battery in top shape because the engine was extremely difficult to re-start when it was hot, until after 30 years of ownership, I found a maintenance guy who diagnosed a bad sniffle valve. Inexpensive fix, and never again had a hot-start problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30533 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

These are good, but pricey! Many folks at Our Little Airport use them for aircraft batteries. I used one for the V-Tail, needed to keep the battery in top shape because the engine was extremely difficult to re-start when it was hot, until after 30 years of ownership, I found a maintenance guy who diagnosed a bad sniffle valve. Inexpensive fix, and never again had a hot-start problem.

BatteryMinder not too bad for car batteries. $29.95

https://www.northerntool.com/s..._200332201_200332201

Posts: 172 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post