SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Freedom of Religion and The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freedom of Religion and The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
Anyone here know about this?

I have a friend who has the tattoo, will wear the colander occasionally, and is an overall intelligent man with a white collar job in the IT world. His basic argument is that if Catholicism, Judaism, etc are protected under the First Amendment, so should Pastafarianism.

His religion started as an argument against teaching creationism in schools and has quietly started to gain more followers. From what I can tell it's basically a big middle finger to organized religion, saying 'you believe in a man who walked on water and rose from the dead, we believe in a monster made out of spaghetti'. My 12 years of Catholic school tells me he's a nut job, but my left brain argues otherwise.

It really taxes the idea that all religions should be treated equally. Here is a link to a documentary about them for those interested.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Another first world problem. Believe what you want to believe - whether you need a colander or a tin-foil hat or a silent prayer. Just leave me alone.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Part of me feels that the issues with society today, is we are getting away from the Ten Commandments and doing as we please, because it suits our desires today. I feel this is part of why society is degrading. I don’t advocate cramming Christianity down ones throat, but I also think it is a good set of rules to live by.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Been around for a long time. I think the argument is sound, though that is a bit more effort than I’d like to put into showing that religion or the current system doesn’t make sense.

I actually have stuff to do. Like work.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17621 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I've been a faithful Pastafarian for about 15 years. Sure, it may be satirical, but it's as credible and realistic as any other religion.

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pastafarianism shows exactly why the government doesn't need to involve itself in religion. Same with marriages. Offering tax incentives makes institutions ripe for abuse.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Im certainly no religious person...

But you cant really argue with the old "Do unto others.." rule being a good rule to go by no matter what religion or non-religion you are.

Of course, my religion is Sith, so... fuck you all. LOL

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
People are free to believe whatever they want. In the Holy Bible it is called "Free Will". Only when we die will we know if we believed and followed the right path or as some believe become nothing. I do what I want and you do what you want and as long as we don't bother each other we will be fine.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 882 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What started out as a superficial humorous, satirical, mocking jab at religion, has gotten some people going down the road of being ....an organized religion. Special books, special days, regalia and sacrament, special food, etc. I get it, its supposed to be cynical.

Much is directed at Christianity, particularly those who are of a fundamentalist or, orthodox belief, as Western thought allows for alternative points of view. Of course many of these die-hard adherents have yet to run up against a society or dominant religion, who's beliefs are...violent in their response.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
orthodox

I have never seen anyone take a jab at Orthodox Christianity. Most American's don't even know what it is, including most christians.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4637 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I am a follower of Frisbeetarianism

I believe that after death, my soul will fly up onto the roof and get stuck there.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Anyone here know about this?

I have a friend who has the tattoo, will wear the colander occasionally, and is an overall intelligent man with a white collar job in the IT world. His basic argument is that if Catholicism, Judaism, etc are protected under the First Amendment, so should Pastafarianism.

His religion started as an argument against teaching creationism in schools and has quietly started to gain more followers. From what I can tell it's basically a big middle finger to organized religion, saying 'you believe in a man who walked on water and rose from the dead, we believe in a monster made out of spaghetti'. My 12 years of Catholic school tells me he's a nut job, but my left brain argues otherwise.

It really taxes the idea that all religions should be treated equally. Here is a link to a documentary about them for those interested.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lrctO2NLWCo" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I presume that he is a Pasta in that religion?

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I often feel I'm a member of the "Church of the .45 ACP."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11106 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's a hilarious counter to kooky antiquated nonsense. Good for them.

Let's all worry less about what happens after this life and focus on this one.

Keep your head in the game.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
orthodox

I have never seen anyone take a jab at Orthodox Christianity. Most American's don't even know what it is, including most christians.

Having grown up in an orthodox Christian home, I concur with you on both counts.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10860 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My kid had this decal on his first car.

I cracked up and asked him,”have you felt his noodly appendage upon you?” And he started cracking up too.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I am not offended by others’ intent to satirize organized religion nor is my faith shaken. Let them be and do. I’ll do as I see fit. If one is sound in his belief and understanding, he cannot be ridiculed into behaving otherwise. I’ll not put my hand in fire even if some knucklehead is dancing around in a colander and shrieking ‘noodley appendage’ repeatedly.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I often kid when I see the JW's out on the sidewalk proselytizing that I'm going to hand out boxes of pasta next to them with stickers for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster on them.

Bless His Noodly Appendages. Ramen!

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bless His Noodly Appendages. Ramen!

That shit cracks me up to no end.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not offended by others’ intent to satirize organized religion nor is my faith shaken. Let them be and do.

Yep. Thanks, darth.
I remember a time, not so long ago, when we were able to poke fun at all sorts of things that are simply off limits now.
Satire is a form of humor and humor is nearly lost in this politically-correct, cancel culture world we live in.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post