SIGforum
Now, Pretzel

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6070083125

July 23, 2026, 01:25 PM
HRK
Now, Pretzel
quote:
My only complaint: lots of broken pretzels. Perhaps because of the cross continent trip, but they were packed in a sturdy cardboard box.



I have seen that as well in the ones on the shelves at Publix, sometimes it's quite a bit, I think it's the nature of hard pretzels as well as stocking employees in a hurry and shoving them on the shelf.

Reminds me, I need to pick up a couple of bags.
July 23, 2026, 01:54 PM
FenderBender
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
It’s surprising that so many folks in this thread like Utz brand pretzels. I’d not known of Utz until now.


They've expanded a lot the past few years, when I was a kid they were in PA and NYC area now I see even regional specialties (crab chips) here in the northern sierras


_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
July 23, 2026, 05:54 PM
Chris42
Utz is located in Hanover, PA. The town is about 15 miles/25 minutes east of Gettysburg, PA. This is South central Pennsylvania, a few miles from the Maryland line.

Coincidentally, I live in this town, so have their products frequently fresh and available. They make a good variety of snack foods, Chips and Pretzels being a big part of it.

As I understand, they supply much of the east coast, from Florida to Maine.
July 23, 2026, 08:37 PM
barndg00
Love many of Utz’s products. Try the “Crab Dip” chips, basically potato chips with Old Bay style seasoning. I used to absolutely love Dots pretzels. My dad found them hunting in South Dakota about 15+ years ago, when they couldn’t be found anywhere else. For a few years, he would bring them home in his suitcase and hoard them! Then, ACE hardware stores started stocking them, and now you can find them at Costco and other retailers. They seem to have become more salty and less buttery with the expansion. Still love the flavor, but can only have a few before my tongue is gasping for some liquid relief, same with the pub mix they recently came out with. Great flavor, but I’d like the sodium dialed back at least 50%, and I say that as someone who has no problems wth sodium or my blood pressure to make me change my taste preferences.
July 24, 2026, 08:00 AM
Pipe Smoker
How is Utz pronounced? Something like “Yutes”?

AI overview:
No, Utz is not pronounced like "yutes." It is officially pronounced "uh-tz" (rhyming with puts or butts).

Pronunciation Details:

Love the “My Cousin Vinny” reference. Smile



Serious about crackers.
July 31, 2026, 07:48 AM
Pipe Smoker
Damn. Happened ten days ago.

“Utz Brands agreed to a $2.9 billion deal on July 21, 2026, to be acquired by Germany's Intersnack Group and taken private.”
–Utz Brands, Inc.



Serious about crackers.
July 31, 2026, 08:09 AM
HRK
It's the nature of the game, everyone is getting bought out, Gordon Gekko'd and stripped of all cash and assets...

Remember Blue Sky Airlines
July 31, 2026, 06:11 PM
Minnow
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
After a cross continent trip the Utz Dipping Daisies Pretzels arrived a couple of days ago.


I'm glad you enjoyed them! I agree, they are tasty straight from the bag. I was fortunate enough to visit the northeast last week. One of the first stops was a Market Basket grocery store to grab a bag. Unfortunately I didn't have room in my carry on to bring any back.
Thanks for the update!




"Prepared in mind and resources"
August 01, 2026, 06:48 AM
Rick_Perry
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
Unique Extra Dark Splits - for those that like their pretzels well-done.

Adios,

Pizza Bob


I'm a Splits original guy. Great pretzels!


_________________________

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
September 15, 2026, 08:28 AM
FenderBender
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Damn. Happened ten days ago.

“Utz Brands agreed to a $2.9 billion deal on July 21, 2026, to be acquired by Germany's Intersnack Group and taken private.”
–Utz Brands, Inc.


A German snack company bought them, how awful, now their quality might go up.


_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
September 15, 2026, 10:24 AM
trapper189
I’d just like a pretzel rod with actual salt crystals that stay on the rod. For the record: SE Grocers generic pretzel rods from the Winn-Dixie are not good.

I have up on the Snyder’s sour dough hard pretzels years ago because there were only broken pieces and the salt was at the bottom of the box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,
September 15, 2026, 11:18 AM
xd45man
I know yall are talking about bagged pretzels, but I cannot ever ever ever pass up a pretzel at a bar or restaurant that comes out large, warm, and covered with salt. I break off a big piece of that bad boy and dip it right into yellow mustard. Everyone else can have the cheese, but I want the yellow mustard. I'm Homer Simpson drooling over here.


Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
September 15, 2026, 12:50 PM
Sig Marine
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
I know yall are talking about bagged pretzels, but I cannot ever ever ever pass up a pretzel at a bar or restaurant that comes out large, warm, and covered with salt. I break off a big piece of that bad boy and dip it right into yellow mustard. Everyone else can have the cheese, but I want the yellow mustard. I'm Homer Simpson drooling over here.


Like you, I am not a "bag" man. Homemade pretzels are a favorite around here with spicey Lowensenf German mustard.




____________________________________________________________
Money may not buy happiness...but it will certainly buy a better brand of misery

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know
September 15, 2026, 07:00 PM
xd45man
I said fat man drooling thinking about a pretzel. Chatgpt added the trailer, beer, and battle flag. Not all fat guys live in luxury like that.




Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
September 18, 2026, 07:50 AM
Pipe Smoker
About a month ago I discovered a new kind of pretzel – now maybe my favorite.

Brand: Pretzelized Snacks
Product: Pretzel Crackers
Flavors: Sea Salt, Honey Mustard, Cheddar

All three flavors are good, and the variety is welcome. I buy individual boxes at Whole Foods, but they’re also available on Amazon:
https://a.co/d/00p1lW4F

The dimensions of each whole piece in inches: 1-1/2 x 1 x 1/8.
A good size for dipping or for eating ungarnished. The salt is integrated, rather than being affixed to the surface, so doesn’t rub off.

Not too many broken pieces, but Amazon delivery would likely increase breakage. Each box has one bag of Pretzel Crackers. The bag is metalized Mylar which keeps the pretzels fresh and crispy.

Danged good, these are! And I like the form factor.



Serious about crackers.
September 18, 2026, 08:29 AM
xd45man
*Whole Paycheck FIFY


Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
September 18, 2026, 08:40 AM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:

Like you, I am not a "bag" man. Homemade pretzels are a favorite around here with spicey Lowensenf German mustard.




Now THAT'S a pretzel. I remember getting fresh Bavarian pretzels in Germany as a kid, and nothing competes with those. I don't really get to eat bread anymore because of my diabetes, but if I'm going to cheat it'll be a couple bites of a warm soft pretzel, in the very rare occasion that I can get one. The dry bagged ones aren't worth the carbs.

It's not quite the same as a small local bakery in Munich, but Aldi stores all over Europe have in-house bakeries, and last year when we were in Spain the one right next to our hostel in Pontevedra had fresh German pretzels. I ate more of one that I should have. We're actually flying to Madrid this afternoon to go hike the Camino Primitivo...I'm hopefully that somewhere along the way we'll encounter another Aldi with fresh pretzels Big Grin.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer.
September 18, 2026, 09:08 AM
HRK
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
I know yall are talking about bagged pretzels, but I cannot ever ever ever pass up a pretzel at a bar or restaurant that comes out large, warm, and covered with salt. I break off a big piece of that bad boy and dip it right into yellow mustard. Everyone else can have the cheese, but I want the yellow mustard. I'm Homer Simpson drooling over here.


Like you, I am not a "bag" man. Homemade pretzels are a favorite around here with spicey Lowensenf German mustard.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/M6hgm67Q/Pretzels.jpg[ /IMG]


Those look fantastic, love to have home made soft pretzels but I'd balloon out to 400 pounds in no time!