SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good Glue for plastic???

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Good Glue for plastic??? Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
Always get good advice from Forum Members.
I have a Kenmore Humidifier. It had a removable storage tank that can be filled and put back onto the unit and it keeps the reservoir filled.
As I was filling it in the kitchen sink it fell over and the two piece tank came apart. I took it all the way apart and cleaned it good.
I need a good glue to put it back together. The glue residue that that was on the tank was kind of rubbery. It needs to be waterproof and needs to be pretty strong. The tank holds a gallon of water.
Any good stuff out there?

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What? Not FlexSeal?

How about regular superglue, as long as the fit is perfect?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a super glue type that is specifically for plastics. I have used it with success but it maty==y depend on the type of plastic and its ability to be compatible with the glue.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
UV activated plastic welding pen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Report This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Super glue would most likely work.

Some plastic can be welded together with Acetone, most cheap finger nail polish remover is made of acetone. I would try that first. Tape the plastic together and then apply acetone into the splice. You should be able to remove the tape in 10 minutes. If it holds you are done. If not use super glue.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
UV activated plastic welding pen

+1

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've used this stuff before Plastaid and it works pretty good. Just do any mending outdoors because it reeks to high heaven when in liquid state.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
shoe goo

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Zap-A-Gap. I use it on fly tying.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
e-6000 will do it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
3M 5200
Make sure it doesn't get on anything else. Once dry it will not come off.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
While not cheap, 3M DP420 is one of the best all-around epoxies for plastics that you can find. And by "best" I mean that it can typically bond the widest variety of different plastics together, often working where other regular glue options do not.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scot...-DP420/dp/B0074NETHQ

I think DP420 only comes in the cartridge that requires the mixing nozzles and applicator gun to push it out of the tube, driving the cost up further. But if you can find it in a ready-to-go dispenser that doesn't require the cost of the extra items then I would go with it over other options.

Something like the 2-part Gorilla epoxy may be a better fit for a lower budget option:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla...TZ7W4HX0SE3H7AXYFFE8

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Do you know what kind of plastic it is? The glue type used is dependent on that. If it's acrylic or polycarbonate, then if you look at your local hobby shop for plastic welding fluid it should do the job nicely. I've been told methyl ethyl ketone would work nicely for this as well, but cannot confirm nor deny it because I haven't tried. There's another product I've used whose name escapes me that's thicker and fills gaps better. I'll check when I get home.

CA glue (super glue) will probably get the job done, but tends to leave a fairly brittle joint.

E6000 is some good stuff. I used to use it for all kinds of stuff.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Report This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I just glued it with super glue and clamped it together. I am going to smear some clear silicone on the outside of the joint and see.
If it doesn't hold I will try something else.
Thanks for all the replys

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Report This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Since it's a tank, you'll want to use some glue that provides some tensile strength.

Superglue is quick and easy but it's also very brittle and will likely fail over time.

I'd use some sort of a two part mixture adhesive like Epoxy or JB weld.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Report This Post