SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pistol transport regulations for light aircraft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol transport regulations for light aircraft Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Just out of idle curiosity, can pistols be transported in light aircraft? If so, must they be placed in some compartment that’s inaccessible while in flight?

If the pilot has a concealed carry license, can he carry the pistol on his person in flight?

Do state or national laws prevail?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've thought about this as well & never thought to look it up.

I guess there are a few questions?
Are you PIC, passenger, paying passenger?

I'd ASSume, that if you were to takeoff & land within your LTC state, you'd be good, but don't know how the regulations affect once you're in the air.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just got up from a nap at a Holiday Inn Express, google fu comes up with AOPA rules see link

AOPA Firearms Rules

Basically as long as you are not in the "Sterile" area of the airport, state laws regarding carry apply. As for transport the same laws apply regardless of conveyance, the only difference is in a plane you don't have to comply with laws of fly-over states, just the one you leave and the one you land in...

So basically state law applies wherever you land..

Posts: 23502 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Just out of idle curiosity, can pistols be transported in light aircraft? If so, must they be placed in some compartment that’s inaccessible while in flight?

If the pilot has a concealed carry license, can he carry the pistol on his person in flight?

Do state or national laws prevail?
As long as I am legal to carry my pistol in the jurisdiction where I take off and where I land, I carry. Same is true of my passengers, as long is the flight is not being operated for hire.

To clarify: Most civilian flights are operated under either Part 91 or Part 135 of the regs, although Part 121 is not precluded. "Light" aircraft really has nothing to do with the answer to your question, the answer lies in what part (91, 135, or 121) of the regs govern the flight.

If the aircraft, even a "light" one, is being operated in scheduled passenger carrying service, Part 121 of the regs must be followed. This is the same section that governs any scheduled airline service.

Part 135 covers non-scheduled, for-hire service, such as air taxi and charter. I don't know the firearm rules for this section, I'd have to look it up, but it can be found online at faa.gov

Part 91 covers what you are probably referring to as "light" aircraft flight, but even a 747 or similar can be operated under Part 91 if there is no revenue. For example, an airplane might be on a re-positioning flight for maintenance; it can be operated under Part 91, even though that aircraft is normally operated under Part 121 for scheduled passenger service.

Having made those distinctions, when I fly under Part 91, any rules regarding firearms are pretty much the same as if I made the trip in my own car.

Example: I took other forum members with me from Florida to North Carolina, to enjoy an Open House, some great food, and some shooting at Jeff Yarchin's home, a few years ago. We were all packing. Same thing on a flight to Georgia for a similar event at Screaming Cockatoo's place. I was armed on my last few flights to Ohio to visit with my kids and grandkids. Basically followed the same rules as if I had been driving a car.

Funny story though, re the return from the afore-mentined visit with Jeff. We made a rest-and-meal stop at the Ocala FL airport. The other pilot on board with me was a Lieutenant in a Sheriff Department here. The weather was kind of blustery, and as I stepped out of the V-Tail a gust of wind blew my shirt open, exposing my P228. The line service guy, who was chocking the wheels, noticed it, and asked "Are you guys Law Enforcement?"

I replied, with a straight face, "Not all of us." (none of us were, except for the other pilot on board)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I own a small plane, I have a few firearms too. As posted above I’d just worry about the part where you takeoff & land. It may matter some if you’re not the pilot. This assumes ‘part 91’ private flying.

There are some airports where the potential to mingle with the TSA is a possibility. Again, no worries if off for a duck hunt, on the other side of the field FBO location.

It’s never been an issue for me, no reason to hang out in NY either.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I own a small plane, I have a few firearms too. As posted above I’d just worry about the part where you takeoff & land. It may matter some if you’re not the pilot. This assumes ‘part 91’ private flying.

There are some airports where the potential to mingle with the TSA is a possibility. Again, no worries if off for a duck hunt, on the other side of the field FBO location.

It’s never been an issue for me, no reason to hang out in NY either.

The other problem is you might have to land unexpectedly in a State you never planned on landing in due to weather or mechanical issues that is not pistol friendly.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Basically as long as you are not in the "Sterile" area of the airport, state laws regarding carry apply. As for transport the same laws apply regardless of conveyance, the only difference is in a plane you don't have to comply with laws of fly-over states, just the one you leave and the one you land in...

So basically state law applies wherever you land..

Bear in mind that many airports have restrictions about firearms on airport property. Violations of those restrictions in most cases carry federal weight, as well as state and local laws.

That said, most airports and general aviation facilities have no screening polices or practices.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Bear in mind that many airports have restrictions about firearms on airport property. Violations of those restrictions in most cases carry federal weight, as well as state and local laws.

That said, most airports and general aviation facilities have no screening polices or practices.
At Our Little Airport, I'm not sure that I know anybody who does NOT carry.

There are signs around the airport prohibiting the discharge of firearms. I'll need to post a photo of one of those. There is, of course, a story behind that.

We are privately owned, public use. Hangars and the lots that they are built on are privately owned. Each owner is a member of the Owners Association, which in turn owns all the common property like the runway, taxiways, fuel farm, etc. So, other than what is defined by statute, we make our own rules. As far as I know, we do not have anybody who is in favor of "gun control" other than the rule against discharging a firearm.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More applicable to any airport that's accepted public funding, regardless of ownership.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The other problem is you might have to land unexpectedly in a State you never planned on landing in due to weather or mechanical issues that is not pistol friendly.

This is a point worth considering.

It is also important to be clear on the rules of all the states you’ll land in. In CA, you are fine carrying in the terminal building as long as you stay out of the secure area (LAX has a rule contrary to this, but it is preempted by state law. Still wouldn’t want to be a test case though...). New Mexico is a different ball of wax. You can’t legally go just barely into the terminal to pickup your rental car without going back to the airplane and securing your pistol.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post