SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Q: is there any trip planning software that schedule stops by driving distance, or time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q: is there any trip planning software that schedule stops by driving distance, or time? Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
As the title says, I am looking for trip planning software that can suggest stops at either pre-specified driving time intervals, distance intervals, or maybe both. Does it exist, or does Google Maps already have it, and I can't find it?

Background: several times a year I have to schedule 500-2000 mile trips by automobile. Google Maps, Apple Maps and Mapquest all have features to select routes based on various criteria, like driving time, avoiding tolls, etc. All of them allow one to plan multiple stops. That is good, but if I know I want to drive 400 miles between fuel stops, I have to manually try to guess a stopping point, add it as a stop, etc. If I prefer to stop every 5 hours, I have to use a trial and error method to locate stopping points. I would like software that, once I have selected a route, can suggest good stopping points based on set driving distance between stops, or alternatively, set driving times between stops. Any suggestions?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garmin GPS units will remind you to take Rest Breaks but the Distance/Time is a preset value that I would guess to be about 2 1/2 hours or 150 miles. Never really paid close attention to it because I find it to be distracting because it blocks the Traffic Ahead screen. I dug out the manual and the interval cannot be changed, which IMO is a bit foolish. My car has 400 miles of range on a full tank so subtract 15% and it means I like to stop every 340 miles. Which is an interval that works quite well for me.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
AAA Triptix will help plans stops at hotels, gas, etc. at regular stop intervals for long drives.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Trip Wizard.
https://tripwizard.rvlife.com/
It’s more geared towards RV, but it has tools for driving times and distances.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 179 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I planned out cross country trip last year I just used Mapquest. I just punched in the destination, found stopping points at time intervals I wanted to stop and booked hotels or whatever.

Posts: 826 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
found stopping points at time intervals I wanted to stop

So, how did you find the stopping points by time interval? Trial and error?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post